The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 136  Next

Who will be in Super Bowl LIII?
Patriots/Rams 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Patriots/Saints 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Chiefs/Rams 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Chiefs/Saints 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 4:48 am 
10Club Complaint Department

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 5:42 pm 
Banned from the Pit

What an unbelievable missed call in the Saints game! What the heck!?

Forget Sergeant Slaughter, and Henry Aaron (Hank)

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 6:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Stardog Champion wrote:
I hope to get to this point with the Saints year at some point, but it feels impossible at this point.

Honestly, if I was a Saints fan, I'd be holding onto this loss forever. You were absolutely robbed of a Super Bowl appearance. And it's likely because the NFL wanted an LA team in the game so that can keep trying to force LA football being a thing. You have every right to be pissed.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

we have a team?

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:10 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
I hope to get to this point with the Saints year at some point, but it feels impossible at this point.

Honestly, if I was a Saints fan, I'd be holding onto this loss forever. You were absolutely robbed of a Super Bowl appearance. And it's likely because the NFL wanted an LA team in the game so that can keep trying to force LA football being a thing. You have every right to be pissed.

I'm sorry, but this is such a stupid sports radio-esque take. Do you honestly believe the ref made that decision in real time as part of some larger conspiracy theory?

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Tue January 22, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:

Not really, As bad of a call as it was, and it was horrible, it happens almost every single year in these games, especially at the end of close ones. That same line judge has done that to other teams before.

The call flat out sucked, and its a shame for the Saints but score more points guys, you got a turnover in the 1st Quarter at the 13 yard line right after driving inside the 10. 2 FG's. Score touchdowns. Don't waste possessions.

1.47 or so left, RUN THE DAMN BALL Sean. 3 times. The Rams would only have 40 seconds or so and no TO's. Then the coup de grace, YOU WON THE COIN TOSS IN OVERTIME! Score, don't blow it. Don't throw the pick. Yes the call sucked, but it's distracting from the fact that the Rams beat them.

Unless you're the Patriots and you have Tom and Bill this happens to everyone else. Hell the Chiefs had that completely phantom roughing the passer call on 3rd down too.

Until the league makes it a priority to get calls right, this is going to suck for all of us.

I empathize, I know full well how much it sucks to lose that way, but you could have won, you just didn't and there was more to it than one terrible call.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is such a stupid sports radio-esque take. Do you honestly believe the ref made that decision in real time as part of some larger conspiracy theory?

I believe that the NFL is an entertainment industry. As such they have to focus on revenue and market share. I do not think games are rigged. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But I 100% believe that there are desired/preferred outcomes (not every time). And I believe that, more often than people are probably comfortable admitting, decisions are made in game that allow for said outcomes. It's not a conspiracy, it's a game/entertainment business and it's much closer to the WWE than to say something like Jeopardy!.

The NFL wants LA to be a thing. They keep forcing the issue. And now they have two teams. And both teams have a fair level of talent. I'm not saying the Rams aren't a good, well coached team. They are. But they were also handed a Super Bowl. Not because everything is rigged but because the game was about to go a certain way and the NFL took the opportunity to do something it could do in the moment to secure an outcome that inflates their bottom line and increases their exposure. LA is a huge market. The NFL has limited to no presence in that huge market and they want it.

I honestly don't think that take is all that crazy or unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:30 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:

I believe that the NFL is an entertainment industry. As such they have to focus on revenue and market share. I do not think games are rigged. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But I 100% believe that there are desired/preferred outcomes (not every time). And I believe that, more often than people are probably comfortable admitting, decisions are made in game that allow for said outcomes. It's not a conspiracy, it's a game/entertainment business and it's much closer to the WWE than to say something like Jeopardy!.

The NFL wants LA to be a thing. They keep forcing the issue. And now they have two teams. And both teams have a fair level of talent. I'm not saying the Rams aren't a good, well coached team. They are. But they were also handed a Super Bowl. Not because everything is rigged but because the game was about to go a certain way and the NFL took the opportunity to do something it could do in the moment to secure an outcome that inflates their bottom line and increases their exposure. LA is a huge market. The NFL has limited to no presence in that huge market and they want it.

Do you think there's some sort of signal in every refs equipment radioed in by Roger Goodell himself? "Ok, rig it Tony".

Are you a 9/11 truther too?

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:35 pm 
The Master

jeopardy is rigged

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:36 pm 
The Master

If you think about it, life is rigged.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
jeopardy is rigged

Former two-day champ here. Contestants receive absolutely NO prep or coaching before a game. We don't know categories or anything. In fact, there's a completely random drawing that happens before each game to determine which set of questions will be used in a game. The person who draws the "set" is a person required by the federal government (not employed by Sony/Jeopardy!) who insures that Jeopardy! complies with all fedaral game show regulations. Contestants are also randomly drawn for a game. So, when you show up to filming, you don't even know which "day" of the game you'll film. You find out when the same "regulator" draws your name for a match. Even podium position (except for the champ) is random drawing.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:

Do you think there's some sort of signal in every refs equipment radioed in by Roger Goodell himself? "Ok, rig it Tony".

No. Of course not. That's insane.

You don't have to be condescending, man. You asked me a question and I gave you my honest answer. Agree or disagree but don't be shitty.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:45 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:

No. Of course not. That's insane.

You don't have to be condescending, man. You asked me a question and I gave you my honest answer. Agree or disagree but don't be shitty.

I'm sorry if I came across condescending, that was not my intention. I just refuse to believe the league would have any in-game influence on who wins or loses. Of course they prefer certain matchups, but I saw a few notable missed calls that weren't called committed by the Saints too. If there truly was some grand conspiracy don't you think they would have called a few of those?

The conspiracy talk just comes across as sour grapes and I've heard it enough lately that I had a curt response locked and loaded. Instead of questioning the Saints' playcalling or decision making in those final few minutes we'll just blame the league.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 8:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Human error is also a part of it. Like I said it isn't a grand conspiracy. It isn't outright scripted. It's about ad revenue and entertainment.

How about this, maybe the NFL doesn't want a specific team to win that game. Maybe they just want the game to go into overtime to increase ad revenue. There's no way to guarentee overtime. But you can hedge to make that a more likely outcome. Look at the second Charges/Chiefs game this year. It makes a lot of sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 8:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I was staunchly anti this kind of thing for a long time, too. But after a lot of reading and looking at the league it just makes too much sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:14 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I was staunchly anti this kind of thing for a long time, too. But after a lot of reading and looking at the league it just makes too much sense to me.

That's what every conspiracy theorist says! ;)

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

That's what every conspiracy theorist says! ;)

:haha:

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Love Superbowls with the Patriots in them. Been some classics.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

anders, i swear to god

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

doug rr wrote:
anders, i swear to god

Not a Patriots / Tom Brady fan?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 136  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports