The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raiders Suck
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

mray10 wrote:
The Shanny-Raiders games were always so great. It was just so obviously personal for Shanahan and he took such great joy in beating them. Especially in those years when he still had a lawsuit pending against them for money they never paid him (which I believe he ultimately won). God it was great.
He ultimately won, but Al still refused to pay him, even after Shanny offered to send the money to charity.

Did you read the story about Shanny directing Steve Young to throw a football at Al when he was the 49ers? Good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
How do you feel about

Oh man...he's on that small but highly privileged list of players I hated but had to respect because they were so damn good. Junior Seau and Tomlinson are on that list as well, and I'm sure Marcus Allen would have been as well if I was a bit older to remember his playing days.

Although I'm a total hipster when it comes to video games (in loving the NES/SNES days), I never could truly love Tecmo Bowl because they had to have Bo be the most dominating player in the game.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

So Bo Jackson was sort of like the Albert Pujols of the AFC West?

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

washing machine II wrote:
Spoken as an Astros fan that watched him on the Cards, right?

One big difference is that the career of Pujols has lasted much longer than that of Bo's.

Actually, I'll post a question to d,t about Bo: if you're a Royals fan (just guessing given your allegiance to the Chiefs and K-State), what was it like having Bo playing for both the Royals and Raiders at the same time?

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:01 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
How do you feel about

Oh man...he's on that small but highly privileged list of players I hated but had to respect because they were so damn good. Junior Seau and Tomlinson are on that list as well, and I'm sure Marcus Allen would have been as well if I was a bit older to remember his playing days.

Although I'm a total hipster when it comes to video games (in loving the NES/SNES days), I never could truly love Tecmo Bowl because they had to have Bo be the most dominating player in the game.

Good answer.

4.12 40 yard dash!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
washing machine II wrote:
Spoken as an Astros fan that watched him on the Cards, right?

Yep. Except for the horrendous 2005 World Series, in which we only had ourselves to blame, Pujols' dominance in those playoff years mirrored the Astros' close-but-no-cigar narrative.

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 3:48 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Every time I watch a football game, I'm reminded how much I hate the Raiders.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

http://decaturdaily.com/stories/McClain ... ain,110745

McClain in trouble again
NFL athlete charged with giving a false name after signing citation with expletive
By Seth Burkett
The Decatur Daily

Officers arrested NFL player Rolando McClain on a charge of giving a false name to law enforcement Tuesday after he signed a citation for overly dark window tint as “Fuck y’all,” Decatur police said.

When a patrol supervisor asked McClain to put his real name on the ticket, McClain told the sergeant, “That is my name,” said police spokesman Lt. John Crouch.

Crouch said McClain, 23, who was booked into Decatur City Jail shortly after 4 p.m. on the misdemeanor and the window tint violation, could have avoided arrest simply by signing his name to the ticket.

He was released on $1,000 cash bail a short time later.

“I’m falsely accused of everything,” the Oakland Raiders linebacker said before climbing into his white Chevrolet Silverado Z-71 and driving from the parking lot of City Hall. “It’s corrupt. It’s terrible.”

Under Alabama law, a person commits a crime if he gives a false name to an officer “with intent to mislead the officer.”

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm having a chuckle over all the drama Tim Brown is causing right now by saying that Bill Callahan sabotaged the Raiders in the Super Bowl so that his buddy Gruden could win. Normally I'd say that it's implausible except that it is very Raiderlike. Except it's usually Al Davis that did the interfering.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 9:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Green Habit wrote:
I'm having a chuckle over all the drama Tim Brown is causing right now by saying that Bill Callahan sabotaged the Raiders in the Super Bowl so that his buddy Gruden could win. Normally I'd say that it's implausible except that it is very Raiderlike. Except it's usually Al Davis that did the interfering.

that just makes no sense though, not saying someone definitely wouldnt do it, but i would think everyone would want to win the Superbowl themselves, and of course i dont like the idea of the Bucs win being tainted.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

that just makes no sense though, not saying someone definitely wouldnt do it, but i would think everyone would want to win the Superbowl themselves, and of course i dont like the idea of the Bucs win being tainted.
Definitely true on the bolded--if Callahan really tanked in order to help Gruden win, that actually hurts Gruden's reputation.

But for me, I honestly don't care what really happen. I'm just enjoying seeing former Raiders fighting with each other.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 2:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Green Habit wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Definitely true on the bolded--if Callahan really tanked in order to help Gruden win, that actually hurts Gruden's reputation.

But for me, I honestly don't care what really happen. I'm just enjoying seeing former Raiders fighting with each other.

I could care less for Gruden's rep, i hate that dude :lol: , i will always feel that he won with Tony's team, but Tampa destroyed Oakland in that game and no matter the game plan, i think it would have gone the same, but im biased big time.

I am excited to see if their new OC Greg? Olsen will do as bad for them as he did for Tampa :P

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 2:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

Wouldn't this be more on Barrett Robbins venture into Tijuana than Bill Callahan? I can't imagine a backup center playing well against that TB defense that year.

Also, why are people talking to Tim Brown now? This sounds like something that's discussed in a bar somewhere when everyone including Brown is half drunk.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 2:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Electromatic wrote:
Wouldn't this be more on Barrett Robbins venture into Tijuana than Bill Callahan? I can't imagine a backup center playing well against that TB defense that year.

Also, why are people talking to Tim Brown now? This sounds like something that's discussed in a bar somewhere when everyone including Brown is half drunk.

the problem with his story for me is that Jerry Rice is agreeing with it. and then as far as Robbins, supposedly the sudden game plan changes were what drove him to leave, but who knows, again, its been 10 years and aside from the fact that they may mention that game because it was 10 years ago during Superbowl coverage, then why bring something like this up now?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 2:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

the problem with his story for me is that Jerry Rice is agreeing with it. and then as far as Robbins, supposedly the sudden game plan changes were what drove him to leave, but who knows, again, its been 10 years and aside from the fact that they may mention that game because it was 10 years ago during Superbowl coverage, then why bring something like this up now?

That's my point, it's a decade ago, this is relevant now? Callahan hasn't exactly set the world on fire since then, Gannon was a flash in the pan and they lost to a pretty darn good football team. It's possible, that whatever game plan they came up with wasn't going to win. I've felt that watching Mike Mularkey's game plan in the playoffs last year that he didn't really understand who he was playing against or the personnel on the team but I don't think he threw the game, and no one would throw a superbowl, (not even Al Davis even if Mr. Davis did meddle with the game plan which I kind of doubt as well)

Even if they did change the game plan quickly, sometimes people make stupid decisions it doesn't automatically mean something nefarious is afoot.

I'm more inclined to believe the Bucs won fair and square.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 2:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Stupid Raiders :lol:

By the way, are there actually any raiders fans on the board?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
I think Monkey_Driven might be, but the past decade of sucktitude might have worn thin on him.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 7:35 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
I think Monkey_Driven might be, but the past decade of sucktitude might have worn thin on him.

I did not watch a single Raiders game this year. I have no regrets. That organization is a mess.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 8:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

I did not watch a single Raiders game this year. I have no regrets. That organization is a mess.

Go Mizzou!

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 8:56 pm 
The Master

Electromatic wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Go Mizzou!

Also a mess (kind of). I'm a sports masochist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports