The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492 ... 504  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46596
Location: Sector 7-G
Agreed. Plus DK is known as a Yankee killer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5942
Location: Space City
Who is RM's DK?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46596
Location: Sector 7-G
that would be dickfan


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5942
Location: Space City
Ah. Forgot about that dude.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46596
Location: Sector 7-G
washing machine wrote:
Ah. Forgot about that dude.

Kind of like how everyone forgot about DK in 2016?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46596
Location: Sector 7-G
Team of destiny.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46596
Location: Sector 7-G
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12298
Location: Cumberland, RI

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 1:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5942
Location: Space City
I want all of you to fall in love with this city.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12298
Location: Cumberland, RI
I tried a long-distance relationship once and it didn't work; but they are definitely the most loveable team left.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 7833
Location: Franklin, MA
washing machine wrote:
I want all of you to fall in love with this city.


No worries, I already love T-Bone Toms in Kemah and the Spring Creek BBQ in Pearland enough for the entire world.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5942
Location: Space City
numbers wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I want all of you to fall in love with this city.


No worries, I already love T-Bone Toms in Kemah and the Spring Creek BBQ in Pearland enough for the entire world.

It would be a dick move to answer your generous sign of affection with recommendations for better BBQ in Pearland, wouldn't it?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 7833
Location: Franklin, MA
Everybody always tells me the Central BBQ in Pearland is better but I like Spring Creek. I'm sure there are better places I just haven't been to them yet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2433
http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/2017/ ... aring-end/

Welp. I guess the Braves rebuild just got extended through 2024 or so. Until then its the MiLB Cobb Braves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Tue October 17, 2017 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7534
Location: Not NYC
I hate the fucking Yankees, man.

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Tue October 17, 2017 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 7534
Location: Not NYC
Aaron Judge is having a hell of a game.

_________________
I'm just here for the tacos and beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Tue October 17, 2017 4:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5942
Location: Space City
numbers wrote:
Everybody always tells me the Central BBQ in Pearland is better but I like Spring Creek. I'm sure there are better places I just haven't been to them yet.

Killen's is where it's at.
Image

https://www.killensbarbecue.com/


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Tue October 17, 2017 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 7833
Location: Franklin, MA
washing machine wrote:
numbers wrote:
Everybody always tells me the Central BBQ in Pearland is better but I like Spring Creek. I'm sure there are better places I just haven't been to them yet.

Killen's is where it's at.
Image

https://www.killensbarbecue.com/


I will check this out next time I'm down.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Tue October 17, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46596
Location: Sector 7-G
All speculation, and it looks like MLB leaked this just to test the waters...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnis ... ostseason/

Quote:
EXPANSION COULD TRIGGER REALIGNMENT, LONGER POSTSEASON

Ever since the Expos moved from Montreal to Washington in 2005, there has been an ongoing movement in the Canadian city to regain a major league franchise. There has even been talk of support for building a ballpark downtown, which was one of the missing ingredients that led to the Expos' departure.

In September, the folks in Portland, Ore., were given hope that they, too, could be home to an expansion team when commissioner Rob Manfred, speaking in Seattle, for the second year in a row mentioned Portland as a potential site for a franchise, and was quoted as saying "a team in the West" would be a part of any expansion.

And there is a legitimate ownership group in Portland that has the necessary financing along with support for a stadium, which would be partially funded by a $150 million grant. Approved by the state of Oregon to help finance a stadium when efforts were underway in 2003 to be the site for the relocation of the Expos (who instead moved to Washington, D.C.), the grant is still available.

There seems to be a building consensus that baseball will soon be headed to a 32-team configuration. It will lead to major realignment and adjustments in schedule, which will allow MLB to address the growing concerns of the union about travel demands and off days.

One proposal would be to geographically restructure into four divisions, which would create a major reduction in travel, particularly for teams on the East Coast and West Coast, and add to the natural rivalries by not just having them as interleague attractions, but rather a part of the regular divisional battles.

Consider four eight-team divisions with the addition of teams in Portland and Montreal:

East: Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington.

North: Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, both New York franchises and Toronto.

Midwest: Both Chicago franchises, Colorado, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Texas.

West: Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

Key elements of this alignment:

    A 156-game schedule would include 24 total games against the eight teams in each of the three other divisions—three games against each opponent.

    The schedule would include 12 games—six home and six road—against each of the seven divisional opponents.

    The format would provide for an off day every week (such as every Monday or Thursday) and would fit into the same foot print for beginning and ending as the 2018 schedule. The season could start on a weekend, which would offset only one three-game series played the week of the All-Star Game.

    The 156-game schedule would reduce each team's slate by six games, but revenue could be made up by a major reduction in travel costs.

    Fan interest could be maintained by allowing for the four first-place teams in each division to advance to the postseason, and having play-in games against the eight remaining teams with the best records.

    The winners of the four wild card games would advance to the Division Series, which would feature a wild card team against each division champion.

    Those four winners would advance to the Championship Series, and the winners of that round would meet in the World Series.

    That would add postseason product to the broadcast packages and provide postseason hope for 12 of the 32 franchises, which could boost attendance in September, again offsetting any impact from the season being six games shorter.

    With a day off every week, there would be a regular rest routine, much like prior to expansion when teams would often play Sunday doubleheaders and Monday would be off. It could be used for travel so teams did not have to make long flights, arriving in cities at 3 a.m. or later.

    And the schedule would drastically reduce travel, while keeping teams in their time zones, except for the Rockies and Twins. They, however, would be playing teams in a time zone an hour earlier, which is less demanding than an hour later, and also provides increased TV ratings because of prime time
    viewing. The other intra-division teams would have to travel to Colorado or Minnesota just six games per year.

    All teams would open the season with an inter-division series, and all out-of-division road trips would be two-city trips.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Tue October 17, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 9932
Location: Mizzou
cutuphalfdead wrote:
All speculation, and it looks like MLB leaked this just to test the waters...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnis ... ostseason/

Quote:
EXPANSION COULD TRIGGER REALIGNMENT, LONGER POSTSEASON

Ever since the Expos moved from Montreal to Washington in 2005, there has been an ongoing movement in the Canadian city to regain a major league franchise. There has even been talk of support for building a ballpark downtown, which was one of the missing ingredients that led to the Expos' departure.

In September, the folks in Portland, Ore., were given hope that they, too, could be home to an expansion team when commissioner Rob Manfred, speaking in Seattle, for the second year in a row mentioned Portland as a potential site for a franchise, and was quoted as saying "a team in the West" would be a part of any expansion.

And there is a legitimate ownership group in Portland that has the necessary financing along with support for a stadium, which would be partially funded by a $150 million grant. Approved by the state of Oregon to help finance a stadium when efforts were underway in 2003 to be the site for the relocation of the Expos (who instead moved to Washington, D.C.), the grant is still available.

There seems to be a building consensus that baseball will soon be headed to a 32-team configuration. It will lead to major realignment and adjustments in schedule, which will allow MLB to address the growing concerns of the union about travel demands and off days.

One proposal would be to geographically restructure into four divisions, which would create a major reduction in travel, particularly for teams on the East Coast and West Coast, and add to the natural rivalries by not just having them as interleague attractions, but rather a part of the regular divisional battles.

Consider four eight-team divisions with the addition of teams in Portland and Montreal:

East: Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington.

North: Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, both New York franchises and Toronto.

Midwest: Both Chicago franchises, Colorado, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Texas.

West: Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

Key elements of this alignment:

    A 156-game schedule would include 24 total games against the eight teams in each of the three other divisions—three games against each opponent.

    The schedule would include 12 games—six home and six road—against each of the seven divisional opponents.

    The format would provide for an off day every week (such as every Monday or Thursday) and would fit into the same foot print for beginning and ending as the 2018 schedule. The season could start on a weekend, which would offset only one three-game series played the week of the All-Star Game.

    The 156-game schedule would reduce each team's slate by six games, but revenue could be made up by a major reduction in travel costs.

    Fan interest could be maintained by allowing for the four first-place teams in each division to advance to the postseason, and having play-in games against the eight remaining teams with the best records.

    The winners of the four wild card games would advance to the Division Series, which would feature a wild card team against each division champion.

    Those four winners would advance to the Championship Series, and the winners of that round would meet in the World Series.

    That would add postseason product to the broadcast packages and provide postseason hope for 12 of the 32 franchises, which could boost attendance in September, again offsetting any impact from the season being six games shorter.

    With a day off every week, there would be a regular rest routine, much like prior to expansion when teams would often play Sunday doubleheaders and Monday would be off. It could be used for travel so teams did not have to make long flights, arriving in cities at 3 a.m. or later.

    And the schedule would drastically reduce travel, while keeping teams in their time zones, except for the Rockies and Twins. They, however, would be playing teams in a time zone an hour earlier, which is less demanding than an hour later, and also provides increased TV ratings because of prime time
    viewing. The other intra-division teams would have to travel to Colorado or Minnesota just six games per year.

    All teams would open the season with an inter-division series, and all out-of-division road trips would be two-city trips.


So, no DH?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492 ... 504  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue November 21, 2017 2:48 am