The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 555  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movies 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 28%  28%  [ 17 ]
Ehhh 35%  35%  [ 21 ]
I miss the prequels 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 60
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)
PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:35 pm 
The Master

FFS

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Typical

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This is why it's fucking impossible to have these conversations. It's fucking nonsense.

As much as I feel like it's reactionary and easy and reductionist, I feel like a lot of your complaints with Star Wars films, LV, are about fan culture way more than they are about the films themselves. You just hates "geek culture" so much. It takes someone like Gareth Edwards, whom you adore, to come in a make even a passable film. Never mind how much of that film was or wasn't compromised or re-shot or re-written or any of that. Because it's Edwards it's beyond reproach. But when it's JJ Abrams.... OH BOY LOOK OUT!

I know that probably isn't fair at all. You're smarter than that. But it really feels that way sometimes.

But again, that's what all of this bullshit is. It's subjective. You won't allow any common language or standard to the discussion so it just becomes barbs and snark and ... well.. everything else this forum has devolved into from time to time. It sucks. I hate it. I hate having these thoughts, let alone expressing them. I know I'm skating toward being unfair. But at a certain point, I'm not sure how else to process some of this stuff. I got nothing but love for you, buddy, you know that. But it's so taxing sometimes because you won't actually talk about any of it any meaningful way. Which I honestly can't necessarily fault you for, but it does lead to these kinds of thoughts/frustrations.

And so much of this seems to go far beyond like/dislike or expression of frustration and competent film criticism. It's the same with McP. He's so much smarter and funnier and clever than I am -- by miles and miles. But he can't seem to actually talk about why he dislikes these movies without hammering away at the fans and slinging buckets of sarcasm. It's so fucking weird. And unfortunate. It's the internet age, I guess. Everyone's just too cool. *shrugs*

I love you, LV. I get why you get so frustrated talking about all of this. I should take your lead and just stop trying. It's just exhausting and pointless.

Whatever. This is gonna be great!

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:48 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
This is why it's fucking impossible to have these conversations. It's fucking nonsense.

As much as I feel like it's reactionary and easy and reductionist, I feel like a lot of your complaints with Star Wars films, LV, are about fan culture way more than they are about the films themselves. You just hates "geek culture" so much. It takes someone like Gareth Edwards, whom you adore, to come in a make even a passable film. Never mind how much of that film was or wasn't compromised or re-shot or re-written or any of that. Because it's Edwards it's beyond reproach. But when it's JJ Abrams.... OH BOY LOOK OUT!

I know that probably isn't fair at all. You're smarter than that. But it really feels that way sometimes.

But again, that's what all of this bullshit is. It's subjective. You won't allow any common language or standard to the discussion so it just becomes barbs and snark and ... well.. everything else this forum has devolved into from time to time. It sucks. I hate it. I hate having these thoughts, let alone expressing them. I know I'm skating toward being unfair. But at a certain point, I'm not sure how else to process some of this stuff. I got nothing but love for you, buddy, you know that. But it's so taxing sometimes because you won't actually talk about any of it any meaningful way. Which I honestly can't necessarily fault you for, but it does lead to these kinds of thoughts/frustrations.

And so much of this seems to go far beyond like/dislike or expression of frustration and competent film criticism. It's the same with McP. He's so much smarter and funnier and clever than I am -- by miles and miles. But he can't seem to actually talk about why he dislikes these movies without hammering away at the fans and slinging buckets of sarcasm. It's so fucking weird. And unfortunate. It's the internet age, I guess. Everyone's just too cool. *shrugs*

I love you, LV. I get why you get so frustrated talking about all of this. I should take your lead and just stop trying. It's just exhausting and pointless.

I think there is a blind love for certain directors that LV has as well as blind hatred. He is a millennial after all. *shrugs*

Joey, keep fighting the good fight. I support you.

And this is going to be great!

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:50 pm 
The Master

In depth reasons for liking and disliking TFA were already discussed to death when it came out. It gets reactionary because the movie's fans don't seem to mind overlooking every single flaw, including, yes, the egregiously lazy and nauseating nostalgia-induced formula repetition. Then those fanboys, like dime, lash at anyone who trashes the movie as cynical haters who are impeding their joy. Then those detractors feel nothing but contempt for that kind of childish reaction. And here we are. We're all just fucking around at this point.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:51 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I think there is a blind love for certain directors that LV has as well as blind hatred. He is a millennial after all. *shrugs*

Joey, keep fighting the good fight. I support you.

And this is going to be great!

God this is such a lazy argument. And not true at all.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
In depth reasons for liking and disliking TFA were already discussed to death when it came out. It gets reactionary because the movie's fans don't seem to mind overlooking every single flaw, including, yes, the egregiously lazy and nauseating nostalgia-induced formula repetition. Then those fanboys, like dime, lash at anyone who trashes the movie as cynical haters who are impeding their joy. Then those detractors feel nothing but contempt for that kind of childish reaction. And here we are. We're all just fucking around at this point.

But I'm not dime, vermin! I've never been dime!

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:52 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Thank god for that

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Thank god for that

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I am dime.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BUT WHO IS SNOKE

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 10:59 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
BUT WHO IS SNOKE

JJ

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 2:05 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

The fuck is happening here? I just want pew pew battles, wookiees and gold bikinis.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 12:02 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

you fuckin wish you were me...

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 12:09 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

to be fair he's consistently and endlessly shat all over TFA before it even came out. i goit bored of it quite quickly..i dont see the point in repeatedly posting about something i dont like just in order to wreck someones head or enjoyment of it. If he ever had me lash out at him it was about him doing that..all the time..so fuck him basically.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 12:49 pm 
The Master

"endlessly wreck someone's enjoyment"

Aaaaaaand there's exactly what I was talking about. And you have have a posted about that movie about a million times more than I have. Anything that isn't gushing fanboy positivity is just someone trying to wreck your fun. That's all I'm here to do, all right. You are a child.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 2:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 2:37 pm 

Is there a word for hating others feeling joy about something just because for whatever reason you hate either the fact that they have that joy or you hate whatever is giving it to them?

Seeing people all week losing their minds on forums and pages all Cos JJ is back and then huge long rants about not only why he's shit but why we're dumb for being happy that he's coming back.

The transformers movies for me were totally lifeless joyless experiences but I'm not spending my days on transformer groups ranting about it. Is this hate particular to Star Wars? I don't really encounter it anywhere else. It's really weird to me.

PostPosted: Fri September 15, 2017 2:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

There are many answers to these questions, dime. There's a lot to unpack with there. It's probably not really worth dissecting really. We see this kind of thing to varying degrees all the time, even on RM. It's not just Star Wars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 555  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars