The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 555  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movies 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 28%  28%  [ 17 ]
Ehhh 35%  35%  [ 21 ]
I miss the prequels 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 60
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)
PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 3:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
I think it all comes down to how long do you need for the Resistance, armed with the skywalker legend, to rebuild a rebellion out of disaffected elements of the galaxy. 6 months feels a bit abrupt.

It also depends on how the Kylo/Rey relationship (which is the beating heart of this trilogy) goes. Do they want minimal time to have passed, or do they want it to have settled into a certain rhythm

You're second point is the key.

Let's not forget that info travels fast in Star Wars. Those few people on the Falcon aren't the only "Rebels" in the entire galaxy. Just as the First Order is spread out, we know there are others out there elsewhere. And some of them have done this before. There are already pieces in place.

Luke himself tells us that (paraphrasing because I've only seen TLJ once) "Today, the Rebellion is reborn, the war begins and I will not be the last Jedi."

And since TFO is already a stupid military/terrorist organization, and is now led by an angry brat and an incompetent wannabe, I don't think we need a ton of time to pull it all together. But again your second part is for more valuable.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 3:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
It really all boils down to what the story is. Will it continue onward with building a rebellion and fighting the bad guys? or will something else happen.

There could be zero time jump, there could be a 10 year time jump. It only matters as much as what the next story will be about.

Well said.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 7:08 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I think and hope Rey and kylo take Center stage in 9. after a considerable time jump and both their power and understanding of their abilities having come a long way. But I think she’ll have studied and become more powerful whereas he’s spent his time frantically hunting her down and using all means available to him will draw his eye off the rebellion and they will have grown and equipped exponentially. The whole galaxy will have stood up and chipped in.

It’ll be a showdown between Rey and Kylo in the end though. Hopefully she doesn’t sacrifice herself to defeat him/in defeating him.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 7:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Like Strat said, it all comes down to what story they are going to tell. I agree with you, dime, in that the most interesting thing for me will be seeing the development in the powers and relationship between Kylo Ren and Rey. I'm so pumped to see where that goes. It seems to me that the Rebels v The First Order will probably play out as we all expect. The shifts and shocks and surprises could come from Rey/Ren.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 7:33 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Like Strat said, it all comes down to what story they are going to tell. I agree with you, dime, in that the most interesting thing for me will be seeing the development in the powers and relationship between Kylo Ren and Rey. I'm so pumped to see where that goes. It seems to me that the Rebels v The First Order will probably play out as we all expect. The shifts and shocks and surprises could come from Rey/Ren.

There is an argument to be made that TFA (which was all Rey set up) could have been tweaked to give more Kylo set up. We get next to no setup for the resistance, yet TLJ is almost all resistance. And little of Rey/Kylos training development. The last one I don’t even really care about rebellion v first order. I just want it to be Rey and kylo for the vast majority of it. Wishful thinking I know.
Have them resume their connection, he’s found the way to do it in some dark sith text and she can’t keep him out and it comes to a head.

Either way they’re relationship such as it is, is the very best thing about this film TLJ and most interesting in all Star Wars probably. Hopefully we get a stunning story and satisfactory end to it all

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 7:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I like the idea but I think I'd prefer it if Rey initiates the connection. Maybe she uses the Jedi texts she took from Ahch-To and figures out how to do the Force Bridge stuff and reaches out to Kylo. I think that could be really interesting.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 7:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I can't wait for the late-night cramming sessions with the Jedi texts.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 7:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
I can't wait for the late-night cramming sessions with the Jedi texts.

It'll be the best montage in American cinema history since Rocky training in Rocky 4!

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 8:11 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
I like the idea but I think I'd prefer it if Rey initiates the connection. Maybe she uses the Jedi texts she took from Ahch-To and figures out how to do the Force Bridge stuff and reaches out to Kylo. I think that could be really interesting.

I cant see her initiation that contact. I’m betting he’s hunting her to kill her, she’s busy with a new academy or padawan. He’ll be letting the first orders control of the galaxy to to shit in his obsession to find her. Hello Vader.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 8:19 pm 
The worst

The fact that she didn't kill him when she had the chance means something is there.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 8:34 pm 

stip wrote:
The fact that she didn't kill him when she had the chance means something is there.

Well she’s met him at his core and at his core he’s still good and still Ben Solo. Snoke knows this too. But the (sorta dumb&obvious) depiction of her closing him off and closing contact via the door of the falcon can’t be ignored. Although She’s now in his place on his fathers ship, somewhere he’s had to have spent a lot of time so in a way she’s in the heart of his troubles and in the heart of his sense of home and the past, hey look even though you tried to kill your past and burn it’s memory, I’m right here in the very very center of it and using it to escape you and rebuild everything you’re fighting against and want to destroy

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 9:08 pm 

By the way.

Is kylo happy to see those dice?

I don’t think he is but I have some pals seem to think he is.

Also in the elevator to the throne room he says I’ve seen your future. I know you’ll stand with me. Is he seeing way way down the line and not just what’s about to happen next?

Is he talking about the end of the saga?

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 9:25 pm 
Future Drummer

I hope how the way the throne scene ended between them does affect them both. Who knows, we may see more connection scenes. I'd like to see a 10 year jump, the war rages on, Ren has become the leader he needed to be, Rey has a new jedi order, but I don't think JJ would go that way.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 9:39 pm 
The worst

dimejinky99 wrote:
Also in the elevator to the throne room he says I’ve seen your future. I know you’ll stand with me. Is he seeing way way down the line and not just what’s about to happen next?

Could be - but it just means that they are united in something - not that she joins him per se

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 9:41 pm 
The Master

I dont want a massive time jump. What is interesting to me with these characters is seeing their growth. Its been outstanding to watch the struggles of the main characters. I want to continue seeing that and where they might end up. There is still so much wiggle room and uncertainty and i want to be along for that ride.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 3:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:

Aw huh.

And she goddamn WANTED to turn him. She believed she could. And she still had those visions (whether they were Snoke influenced or not) of him turning and doing the right thing. I imagine, especially if Leia is gone, that she'll feel she owes it to Luke and Leia to try and save him.

Even if that's not the case, she's still alone in the galaxy. She still has a connection to Kylo. And she doesn't run from the dark side. She "doesn't even try to fight it." It makes all the sense in the world to me that she would reach out to him, if she's able.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 3:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
By the way.

Snoke pretty clearly implies (though doesn't outright state) that he's manipulating those visions that Rey and Kylo see.

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 4:44 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
By the way.

Snoke pretty clearly implies (though doesn't outright state) that he's manipulating those visions that Rey and Kylo see.

Yeah but minutes later we Snokes vision isn’t 20/20. He was blind to what was right in front of him and got really discombobulated as a result :)

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 4:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
By the way.

Yeah but minutes later we Snokes vision isn’t 20/20. He was blind to what was right in front of him and got really discombobulated as a result :)

Right. But those the points we're making aren't mutually exclusive. Snoke (as far as we know) isn't reading Kylo's thoughts accurately. But that has nothing to do with his ability to implant false visions in someone else's mind.

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 9:19 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
By the way.

Right. But those the points we're making aren't mutually exclusive. Snoke (as far as we know) isn't reading Kylo's thoughts accurately. But that has nothing to do with his ability to implant false visions in someone else's mind.

Maybe Ben was aware of what was going on, but played dumb to it. In my mind he had a plan all along to kill Snoke and lure Rey into joining him. So he knew that by letting the visions happen, that would help him with his cause all the while seeming to be easily controlled and read by Snoke.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 555  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars