Switch to full style
May the force be with you
Post a reply

Thrawn (Timothy Zahn)

Wed April 12, 2017 5:04 pm

So this long awaited book is out today. One of the most beloved of all Star Wars characters.
Weirdly nobody says Thrawn never gets accused of being the Mary Sue bullshit.
I'll read it I guess.

Re: Thrawn (Timothy Zahn)

Wed April 12, 2017 6:28 pm

So each book is getting it's own thread now?

Wed April 12, 2017 6:38 pm

We will probably need a thread about the thread for the trailer of The Last Jedi.

Wed April 12, 2017 6:58 pm

jwfocker wrote:We will probably need a thread about the thread for the trailer of The Last Jedi.

:lol:

Wed April 12, 2017 7:17 pm

:haha:

Wed April 12, 2017 9:41 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:So this long awaited book is out today. One of the most beloved of all Star Wars characters.
Weirdly nobody says Thrawn never gets accused of being the Mary Sue bullshit.
I'll read it I guess.

You act as if someone is twisting your arm to make you read it. If you don't want to don't. It's not that hard.

Wed April 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Make me a forum I'll make it my kingdom playground :)

You nailed it wease.
I don't want to read it. But apparently it's tying into loads of snoke and palpatine stuff.

Wed April 12, 2017 10:03 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:Make me a forum I'll make it my kingdom playground :)

You nailed it wease.
I don't want to read it. But apparently it's tying into loads of snoke and palpatine stuff.

There's a thread for the books dime. There's a thread for your nonsense dime. There's

Wed April 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Yeah dime I may have to move this to the book thread

Thu April 13, 2017 12:04 am

Don't be fooled. I'll be back in two weeks saying it's an amazing book probably.

And Ruddo if there is a dedicated books thread you need to clean up the Star Wars sub forum. Few random book threads rocking around. Bloodlines, catalyst.

Fri April 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Ok I got the audio book. And the narrator sounds fuckin awesome as Thrawn

Fri April 14, 2017 1:34 pm

I ordered this and I ordered that original Thrawn series that I loved so much and haven't read in 20 years. I'm probably going to read those first, and then the backstory.

Tue April 18, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm 2/3rds of the way through. This is okay.

Wed April 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Reviews of this aren't inspiring. This might have to be a "watch a recap video about it" book.

Wed April 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Indeed. Although it is interesting to watch yourself rooting for the success of the empire (or at least part of it)

Wed April 19, 2017 11:40 pm

stip wrote:Indeed. Although it is interesting to watch yourself rooting for the success of the empire (or at least part of it)

Have you read Lost Stars?

Wed April 19, 2017 11:57 pm

nope. Is that one of the new books?

I bought Thrawn and Zahn's thrawn series from legends, which I loved once (the only EU books I ever cared about). But after this, I'm a little nervous about going back to those.

Thrawn is a fun character in this book, but he's someone you need to bounce off of, rather than serve as a main character, and the stories surrounding him just aren't good enough

Thu April 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Agreed. It's the poorest of the new canon books but not as bad as the aftermath trilogy.

Probably feels like a bigger let down cos he's such a hyped character.

This book was a let down. Don't let it stop you reading the other new canon books, stip.

They're all better than this by a long way.

Thu April 20, 2017 8:18 pm

stip wrote:nope. Is that one of the new books?

I bought Thrawn and Zahn's thrawn series from legends, which I loved once (the only EU books I ever cared about). But after this, I'm a little nervous about going back to those.

Thrawn is a fun character in this book, but he's someone you need to bounce off of, rather than serve as a main character, and the stories surrounding him just aren't good enough

I was worried about that when they announced this book. Bummer.

And yeah Lost Stars is, I think, the first new canon book since the Disney merger.

Thu April 20, 2017 8:25 pm

It's a good read too. Runs with the big events of the OT in the background which sounds hokey/cheap but it's written really well as the characters are so far removed but still involved. (One of them mourning the death of many friends on the Death Star for example).

I might read this again. Really enjoyed it.
Post a reply