The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Thu December 22, 2016 8:02 pm 
Major Dude

Unless a deal was reached with Fox, Disney won't have anything to do with this. The original movie wasn't included in the sale to Disney as Lucas never owned the rights to it.

PostPosted: Thu December 22, 2016 8:04 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Oh yeah.

Don't those rights run out soon though? Read something about that.

Even if they don't no way will they not hammer out a deal. It's a cash cow waiting to be milked.

PostPosted: Thu December 22, 2016 8:08 pm 
Major Dude

dimejinky99 wrote:
Oh yeah.

Even if they don't no way will they not hammer out a deal. It's a cash cow waiting to be milked.

They've not hammered anything out regarding X-Men or Fantastic Four. Fox is adamant(ium) on keeping them.

PostPosted: Thu December 22, 2016 8:09 pm 

wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Oh yeah.

They've not hammered anything out regarding X-Men or Fantastic Four. Fox is adamant(ium) on keeping them.

Very good.

PostPosted: Thu December 22, 2016 8:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
Oh yeah.

Soon? What do you term "soon"?

Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter wrote about the complicated rights issues concerning the original films. They do say that there’s a chance Fox and Disney could reach some kind of deal concerning the first two trilogies, but most of the problems surround Episode IV, which they hold ” in perpetuity in all media worldwide.” A deal that Lucas likely signed just to try and get the movie released back in the late 1970s.

In 2020, the rights for the rest of the films will revert back to LucasFilm. (Now AKA Disney.) Fox still plans on releasing Episode II and III in 3D as scheduled.

Pretty sure this exact article was posted on RM a few months ago:
http://www.slashfilm.com/20th-century-f ... difficult/

PostPosted: Thu December 22, 2016 9:49 pm 
Major Dude

bune wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Oh yeah.

Soon? What do you term "soon"?

Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter wrote about the complicated rights issues concerning the original films. They do say that there’s a chance Fox and Disney could reach some kind of deal concerning the first two trilogies, but most of the problems surround Episode IV, which they hold ” in perpetuity in all media worldwide.” A deal that Lucas likely signed just to try and get the movie released back in the late 1970s.

In 2020, the rights for the rest of the films will revert back to LucasFilm. (Now AKA Disney.) Fox still plans on releasing Episode II and III in 3D as scheduled.

Pretty sure this exact article was posted on RM a few months ago:
http://www.slashfilm.com/20th-century-f ... difficult/

Yep. I was the one that posted it.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 4:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Okay, fine. Then why hasn't Fox released high quality versions of the de-specialized OT? There's SO much money they're missing out on.

Besides, Disney only purchased Lucasfilm for 4 billion. The studio made OVER 7 BILLION this year alone. Just this year. If they want to make a deal with Fox, they'll make a deal with Fox. And Fox would be an idiot asshole not to make a shared deal, similar to Marvel and Sony made for Spider-Man.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 4:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Okay, fine. Then why hasn't Fox released high quality versions of the de-specialized OT? There's SO much money they're missing out on.

Besides, Disney only purchased Lucasfilm for 4 billion. The studio made OVER 7 BILLION this year alone. Just this year. If they want to make a deal with Fox, they'll make a deal with Fox. And Fox would be an idiot asshole not to make a shared deal, similar to Marvel and Sony made for Spider-Man.

I have to imagine they know what kind of money they're leaving on the table. They've seen the Marvel stuff and they keep telling Marvel to stuff it and keep making bad Fantastic Four and X-Men movies because they don't care.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 4:56 pm 
Major Dude

Why would Fox make a deal to split money in which they already get ALL the share?

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 5:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I have to imagine they know what kind of money they're leaving on the table. They've seen the Marvel stuff and they keep telling Marvel to stuff it and keep making bad Fantastic Four and X-Men movies because they don't care.

Could be. Or it could be that they needed a precedent. Or it could be a deal that they like hasn't been offered yet. I'm not in the room where i happens. I imagine you'll see a deal for FF WAY before X-Men, though. The X-Men franchise makes money and has a million directions it can go in. Logan will probably revitalize the property (which is ironic since it'll be the last Huge Jacketman Wolverine). But everything I'm hearing about the New Mutants sounds promising.

FF, on the other... has never been lucrative. It's a train wreck. IF they were going to strike a deal, it would be there, I'd think. But again, I'm just sitting a keyboard far far away from these fat cats and their studio sunshine. What the fuck do I know about anything?

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 5:05 pm 

Something like two studios and two private interests had the rights to the hobbits film rights.
They worked it out. Star Wars is a much bigger and more lucrative prospect.
They'll figure something out eventually.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 5:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
Why would Fox make a deal to split money in which they already get ALL the share?

Because they could make MORE money, potentially. It all depends on the deal. What are they doing with those films right now to generate new money? What are their plans? If Disney came to Fox and said, "hey, listen, you've made (I'm totally making this number up by the way, this is not a real number) 500 million on Star Wars since we bought Lucasfilm. We'd like to own the original trilogy. We're willing to give you 4 Billion in cash (the same offer they made George Lucas) now for shared rights. Plus we'll throw in 5% of all merch sales on the entire Star Wars property. You'll get a good percentage (something like 15 to 30%) of every box office re-release of the OT and we'll even throw in a small percentage on future Saga releases (something like .0003%). Oh and we could maybe share distribution and we'll give you a producer credit so fans get the Fox fanfare back before the Saga episodes and you have the opportunity to win a bunch of prizes."

I don't know. I'm just throwing shit out there. There's a way it makes sense for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 6:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That makes too much sense. :)
durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Could be. Or it could be that they needed a precedent. Or it could be a deal that they like hasn't been offered yet. I'm not in the room where i happens. I imagine you'll see a deal for FF WAY before X-Men, though. The X-Men franchise makes money and has a million directions it can go in. Logan will probably revitalize the property (which is ironic since it'll be the last Huge Jacketman Wolverine). But everything I'm hearing about the New Mutants sounds promising.

FF, on the other... has never been lucrative. It's a train wreck. IF they were going to strike a deal, it would be there, I'd think. But again, I'm just sitting a keyboard far far away from these fat cats and their studio sunshine. What the fuck do I know about anything?

Same.

I just think about the potential Daredevil film we almost got because they didn't want to negotiate for something as minor as that character. I understand Galactus is a big deal but...Daredevil?
Quote:
In July 2008, Jason Statham expressed interest in appearing as Daredevil in the future. Statham requested "just give me the chance, I would love to be Daredevil." Frank Miller commented in agreement "I think he should be Daredevil too."[69] In October 2008, 20th Century Fox executive Tom Rothman said "a Daredevil reboot is something we are thinking very seriously about." Rothman added that "what it really needs is, it needs a visionary at the level that Chris Nolan was. It needs someone, it needs a director, honestly, who has a genuine vision."[70] By February 2010, 20th Century Fox and New Regency were looking to develop the reboot with News Corp., with Peter Chernin producing and David Scarpa writing the script.[71] On March 15, 2011, it was announced that filmmaker David Slade would be directing the reboot,[72] but he later had to drop out due to other obligations. Fringe writer and producer Brad Caleb Kane was hired to pen the Slade-directed film.[73] On September 3, 2012, Duncan died, precluding him from reprising his role as Kingpin.[74][75]

Later, it was announced that should a sequel or reboot not start filming by October 10, 2012, the rights to the Daredevil franchise would revert from Fox back to Marvel. In early August 2012, Fox scrambled to find a replacement for David Slade, who dropped out of the director's chair due to scheduling conflicts. The studio briefly met with Joe Carnahan, for the job—however, Carnahan said on Twitter that his pitch, described as a hard-boiled '70s thriller, had gone up in smoke. Several sources commented that Fox had given up on the reboot, and were prepared to let the rights revert to Marvel and their parent company, The Walt Disney Company.[76] On April 23, 2013, Kevin Feige confirmed that the rights for Daredevil returned to Marvel Studios and Disney, opening the possibility of including the character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.[77] That speculation was confirmed with the announcement of an original Netflix Daredevil television series, which premiered on the streaming service in April 2015, with English actor Charlie Cox in the title role.[78]

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 6:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The landscape is constantly changing. And there are so many ways to make money. Fighting for Daredevil maybe made sense at the time during that particular landscape. I bet now though with the success of the Marvel EU and the Daredevil TV series, that they wish they had struck a deal back then.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2016 8:04 pm 

There is the whole thing about oversaturation. If you were really gonna see a new print of a new hope in cinemas it would have been tied into rogue one. Or we certainly would have heard about it. As it stands it's just one article with a quote from Gareth Edwards that I think is him having a little revenge for his film being if not taken off him, certainly fixed over his head.

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 2:54 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Do we ever find out how 3PO & R2 end up in Captain Antilles possession?

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 3:03 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

They need to make an Obi-Wan movie if for no other reason than to explain how Luke recognizes him on sight. I mean, what exactly is there previous relationship?

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 3:07 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Leia's plea to Kennobi is far more powerful and poignant after Rogue One.

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 3:08 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The score is almost distracting at times. People wouldn't be so hard on TFA or R1 if they'd been 10 when they saw them.

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 3:10 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The empty chair in the scene on the Death Star with the admirals & councilman is AMAZING after R1. That chair is clearly Krennic's chair. Awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars