The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 6508
Location: Oslo, Norway
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Whoa, I’m watching the HBO Spielberg documentary, and they mentioned how the Star Wars opening crawl was Brian De Palma’s idea. Did not know that.


That’s interesting. :thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22436
He also wrote the crawl as far as I know.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
PostPosted: Mon February 05, 2018 11:42 am 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 13730
Location: Where everybody knows your name
.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67125
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Anders wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Whoa, I’m watching the HBO Spielberg documentary, and they mentioned how the Star Wars opening crawl was Brian De Palma’s idea. Did not know that.


That’s interesting. :thumbsup:

I thought the crawl was always there, it was just much longer and more detailed. De Palma cut it down to the three paragraphs we know and love today. Either way, still fucking cool. And obviously had a huge impact on the future of the franchise.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 38031
durdencommatyler wrote:
Anders wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Whoa, I’m watching the HBO Spielberg documentary, and they mentioned how the Star Wars opening crawl was Brian De Palma’s idea. Did not know that.


That’s interesting. :thumbsup:

I thought the crawl was always there, it was just much longer and more detailed. De Palma cut it down to the three paragraphs we know and love today. Either way, still fucking cool. And obviously had a huge impact on the future of the franchise.

No, apparently what happened was that Lucas showed a bunch of his director friends an early, unfinished cut of ANH and, afterwards, De Palma told him it didn’t make sense and he didn’t know why he should care about anything or anyone in it, and that Lucas needed to add a text prologue (in an homage to old serials, I believe) to establish the universe.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67125
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
That's so weird. I guess that early version of the crawl from the 1976 draft was written after that then?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 38031
durdencommatyler wrote:
That's so weird. I guess that early version of the crawl from the 1976 draft was written after that then?

Very possibly. The cut was so early that it didn’t even have any special effects in it yet, so I’m sure the final ‘77 release cut was still a long way off.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67125
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
That's so weird. I guess that early version of the crawl from the 1976 draft was written after that then?

Very possibly. The cut was so early that it didn’t even have any special effects in it yet, so I’m sure the final ‘77 release cut was still a long way off.

That's really fascinating. The talk has always been that De Palma helped George edit and re-write the crawl. If he actually had the idea himself, then that's kind of a big deal (from an historian perspective). I wonder if this has become common knowledge. Really interesting.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A New Hope
PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22436
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
That's so weird. I guess that early version of the crawl from the 1976 draft was written after that then?

Very possibly. The cut was so early that it didn’t even have any special effects in it yet, so I’m sure the final ‘77 release cut was still a long way off.

That's really fascinating. The talk has always been that De Palma helped George edit and re-write the crawl. If he actually had the idea himself, then that's kind of a big deal (from an historian perspective). I wonder if this has become common knowledge. Really interesting.



The rinzler book and the Spielberg doco both say that BdP wrote the crawl but only after chewing Lucas out for the film basically being awful and making no sense and George really took it personally but owned it and took his criticisms on board.

I can’t imagine Star Wars without the crawl. It’s wuch a vital part of its dna

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun November 18, 2018 3:58 am