Switch to full style
May the force be with you
Post a reply

could vader headline a movie?

Sat December 17, 2016 12:52 pm

thoughts?

Re: could vader headline a movie?

Sat December 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Of course, but he already was the primary focus in three. I guess whatever he did between RotS and R1 could be explored. But it would mostly be an evil man doing evil things.
Last edited by Anders on Sat December 17, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat December 17, 2016 1:30 pm

No because smaug would kill him

Sat December 17, 2016 1:32 pm

im not sure. i feel like he may work best as an off screen threat, punctuated by small reminders of what he can do. would that lose its power if it was the primary focus of a story. has anyone read those comics where he is the feature?

Sat December 17, 2016 1:32 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:No because smaug would kill him

well yes, but could vader carry the film to that inevitable 3rd act conclusion?

Sat December 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Are we separating between Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader?

Sat December 17, 2016 1:53 pm

yes

Sat December 17, 2016 2:01 pm

It's the same guy though. Surely he didn't stop being Anakin under the helmet.

Sat December 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Anders wrote:It's the same guy though. Surely he didn't stop being Anakin under the helmet.

He did from a certain point of view.

Sat December 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Any of the Star Wars characters COULD headline and carry their own movie, yes. Vader is one of the characters I'd be least interested in exploring as a headliner in a movie, but there are ways it could work and be a strong film.

Sun December 18, 2016 7:28 pm

I would have said no. But then seeing him at home in his castle and the bacta tank was so intriguing.

The castle is almost exactly the way it was to appear in the OT. George had McQuarrie do concept art.

Cool article about this here

Sun December 18, 2016 8:24 pm

yeah, anakin was the only character worth exploring; his struggle. vader is just a single minded killing machine. awesome to watch and be scared of, but not interesting enough to examine fully in a movie.

Sun December 18, 2016 8:32 pm

The lords of the Sith book (canon) is one you should read if you think a Vader film could work. Gives him a more detailed role in a lot of ways.

Sun December 18, 2016 8:37 pm

might work in a book, but on screen vader sitting in on empire strategy meetings wouldn't. he needs to be kicking ass and taking names at all times, which wouldn't work as a whole movie.

Sun December 18, 2016 8:43 pm

spike wrote:might work in a book, but on screen vader sitting in on empire strategy meetings wouldn't. he needs to be kicking ass and taking names at all times, which wouldn't work as a whole movie.

Lords of the Sith is definitely not that. It's Vader and the emperor getting attacked and trapped by an early version/rebellion splinter group. And you get to see Vader and emperor kick ALL kinds of ass using their powers. It's a great read. Especially the insight into how the emperor treats Vader. Totally toxic and abusive.

Sun December 18, 2016 8:43 pm

And it's canon

Sun December 18, 2016 9:14 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:And it's canon

For how long - they seem to change what's cannon at will
dimejinky99 wrote:It's no longer canon but.....

Sun December 18, 2016 11:29 pm

Hey. I'm good. I'm not perfect. But I think LOS is canon. It's the Plageuis book that isn't

Sun December 18, 2016 11:43 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:Hey. I'm good. I'm not perfect. But I think LOS is canon. It's the Plageuis book that isn't

Wasn't a dig at you bud - it's those that keep tinkering with what's canon and what's not

Mon December 19, 2016 2:38 am

I too have read Lords of the Sith, I think it would work great as a movie. The relationship between Vader and Palpatine is quite interesting.
Post a reply