Switch to full style
May the force be with you
Post a reply

Re: Guess the Opening Weekend $$$ Thread: Rogue One

Sun December 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Jesus H. Christ, do all of you read at a third-grade level? We're waiting for the actual box office numbers, not the estimates.

Sun December 18, 2016 9:32 pm

What does Nate Silver have to say about this?

Sun December 18, 2016 9:33 pm

theplatypus wrote:What does Nate Silver have to say about this?

He gave Collateral Beauty a 25% chance to win the weekend, even though most outlets were giving it a 0% shot. So, clearly, he's a genius.

Sun December 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Simple Torture wrote:

He gave Collateral Beauty a 25% chance to win the weekend, even though most outlets were giving it a 0% shot. So, clearly, he's a genius.

have you seen CB yet?

Sun December 18, 2016 10:57 pm

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

have you seen CB yet?

I'm waiting for a version recorded from the audience in a theater with lots of noise and people who didn't shut their phone off.

Sun December 18, 2016 10:59 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

have you seen CB yet?

I'm waiting for a version recorded from the audience in a theater with lots of noise and people who didn't shut their phone off.

oh ok...fair warning though, from what i've heard this movie is not as marketed

Sun December 18, 2016 11:00 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

have you seen CB yet?

Is it aliens? I bet it has aliens in it

Sun December 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

have you seen CB yet?

Too many callbacks to Collateral (2004) starring Tom Cruise?

Sun December 18, 2016 11:15 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Jesus H. Christ, do all of you read at a third-grade level? We're waiting for the actual box office numbers, not the estimates.

I estimate I'll be gloating.

Mon December 19, 2016 3:55 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

have you seen CB yet?

I don't know what you mean, exactly. But my friend may have "spoiled" this movie for me last night over dinner. She didn't mean to at all. But it made me WAY less interested in seeing it.

Tue December 20, 2016 12:49 am

Weekend total is in, and daft twat can officially start gloating: Rogue One generated $155,081,681 in the US. His guess was less than $8m off (Joey was next closest, at $10m off). This was far, far further from the closest guess that we had last year for Episode VII ($2m). In a weird twist, we had guesses in the $120m range, $130m, $140m, $160m, $170m, $180m, and $190m, but no one guessed in the $150m range.

Didn't crack the Top 10 for opening weekends--it sits at #12. Basically, outside the Top 10 in every category, except for December records (where it's basically #2 in everything behind The Force Awakens).

I'll see everyone next December for Episode VIII!

Tue December 20, 2016 12:59 am

Im not following.

I heard this was the second biggest opening weekend after force awakens. Is that in the US or everywhere?

Tue December 20, 2016 1:05 am

dimejinky99 wrote:Im not following.

I heard this was the second biggest opening weekend after force awakens. Is that in the US or everywhere?

Not even close. You more than likely heard wrong: it was the 2nd biggest opening weekend for a movie in the US in December. 12th biggest US opening weekend all time, 21st biggest opening weekend worldwide (although some other markets may not have reported in yet; still won't go higher than 20th).

Tue December 20, 2016 1:07 am

Episode 8: $166m

You heard it here first

Tue December 20, 2016 1:14 am

Simple Torture wrote:

Not even close. You more than likely heard wrong: it was the 2nd biggest opening weekend for a movie in the US in December. 12th biggest US opening weekend all time, 21st biggest opening weekend worldwide (although some other markets may not have reported in yet; still won't go higher than 20th).

Collider are lying again it seems. They said it was the 2nd biggest openin weekend after FA

Tue December 20, 2016 1:18 am

It’s mid-December, which means it’s Disney’s Star Wars time. Rogue One marks the first Star Wars movie that’s outside of the sagas you might be used to. Disney’s first “Star Wars story” is already a hit with critics, and it’s already a huge money-maker. Star Wars fans spent no less than $290.5 million during the opening weekend, making Rogue One one of the most successful movies of the year.

Rogue One scored $155 million in ticket sales in North America, Variety reports, which makes it the second-largest December opening in history, and the second-largest launch of the year. What’s even more impressive about that $290.5 international box office purse for the first weekend is that it doesn’t include China and South Korea. The movie is yet to launch in these two important movie markets.

In the US, Rogue One made $19 million in Imax and $17.9 million in premium large formats. Overall, 38% of all tickets sold were for 3D screenings.

“This is the king of all franchises,” Exhibitor Relations analyst Jeff Bock told Variety. “No other franchise is even close.”

“It reinforces how meaningful the brand is that in the midst of all the pre-holiday distractions and the bad weather, the film was still able to pull everybody into the theater in a big way,” Disney’s distribution chief Dave Hollis said.

Disney tried to downplay expectations for the movie ahead of its debut, fully aware that a story not centered on the Skywalker family might not be that appealing to fans.

Rogue One had no real competition at the box office, to begin with. Moana raked in $11.7 million ($161.9 million in total for the animation), Office Party earned $8.4 million ($31.5 million since debut), Will Smith’s Collateral Beauty opened at $7 million, and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them scored $5 million this weekend (bringing its total up to $207.7 million).

Tue December 20, 2016 1:23 am

Who to believe?

No Arguing that studios are hiding from December now. It belongs to Star Wars.

When they move into the summer market with May releases AND Christmas releases it'll only make the other studios raise their game and make their output amazing. In a perfect world.

Tue December 20, 2016 1:24 am

I wonder how it would have done up against Mark Wahlberg's Patriot's Day?

Tue December 20, 2016 1:28 am

If Disney ever stumbles, it will probably wipe out Hollywood and theater chains with it. It all feels like a house of cards right now.

Tue December 20, 2016 1:38 am

dimejinky99 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Collider are lying again it seems. They said it was the 2nd biggest openin weekend after FA

Are you referencing this article? http://collider.com/weekend-box-office- ... rogue-one/

I don't often quote myself, but:

Simple Torture wrote:Jesus H. Christ, do all of you read at a third-grade level?
Post a reply