The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Kenobi (2019)
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 pm 
The worst

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
*realizes I am arguing about a guy named Boba being pushed into a giant monster's mouth, logs off internet in shame*

what else is the internet for, if not this?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
bune wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Well that what they're doing with the standalones. Pretty sure that was said officially at some point?

A new standalone trilogy set after Jedi/before Force awakens would be tasty.

Loads they could play with in there. Including another Han movie potential if they really are poking at keeping that guy on as rumoured. But again that comes down to how successful the first is. Also that's where you put your boba fett movie. Showing how he survived Sarlaac and potentially came to get revenge against Han?

That was a terrible EU story and you should feel terrible for making me remember it.

Muhahahhaaaaaaa

You should feel terrible for reading it in the first place.
That's why I forgot about it!

I read them when I was in my early twenties and just started to have a basic disposable income and had never read a single EU book yet. A book about Boba Fett should be cool, right? Oh Lord.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

If they're gonna do a true Boba Fett stand alone film set after Jedi, they need to take the opportunity to fully/ properly reboot the character by having a new person in the suit. Not the clone of Jango. A new person. Someone who found the armor, put it on, and is pretending to be the original bounty hunter.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 9:30 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Spielberg to direct Kenobi.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 9:32 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Doubt it. But it would be funny to finally get him involved in Star Wars now that his homeboy is out of it.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 10:33 am 

Do you think they have some up and coming indie director set up to do this ? If so are they rethinking now? or given the character and story will they go with someone established?

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 5:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I have no idea what they're thinking right now. But I've got to think they don't want any mistakes, any risks. I won't be surprised if they either go in-house or go with someone who has tremendous success within the studio system. I actually think Spielberg would be a great choice. Maybe Han is Ron Howard's test run. If he delivers the film they want, they'll give him another? Who knows. They've been circling Brad Bird and Joe Johnston for a long fucking time, too. Maybe one of those guys? Whomever they get, it'll be a safe, trusted choice. They can't afford to have another "anthology" film go off the rails.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised now if they don't announce it at all this year.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 5:10 pm 
The Master

han is the only one that has gone off the rails and it still could turn out great. I dont think Lucasfilm is freaking out nor going to change their game plan.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 5:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Disney pulled teeth to get Abrams onboard at all. They fired the original Force Awakens screenwriter. They fired Josh Trank and scrapped his anthology film days before they were set to announce it. Rogue One had... a rough road that ended in extensive reshoots that were overseen and written/directed by a different guy than they picked to direct the movie. Maybe none of that qualifies as "off the rails." That's fair. But none of that screams confidence to me.

Obviously, I liked the final products that were the previous two Star Wars films. I liked them a lot. Still, we're starting to see real evidence of a bothersome pattern. I think we can't ignore that.

And the biggest issues have come from "new" or up and coming filmmakers. I imagine Disney feels a lot of pressure to have just ONE anthology film get made without this kind of major drama and behind the scenes issues.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 5:51 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Did we ever find out which film Trank was working on? Boba Fett?

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 6:00 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Disney pulled teeth to get Abrams onboard at all. They fired the original Force Awakens screenwriter. They fired Josh Trank and scrapped his anthology film days before they were set to announce it. Rogue One had... a rough road that ended in extensive reshoots that were overseen and written/directed by a different guy than they picked to direct the movie. Maybe none of that qualifies as "off the rails." That's fair. But none of that screams confidence to me.

Obviously, I liked the final products that were the previous two Star Wars films. I liked them a lot. Still, we're starting to see real evidence of a bothersome pattern. I think we can't ignore that.

And the biggest issues have come from "new" or up and coming filmmakers. I imagine Disney feels a lot of pressure to have just ONE anthology film get made without this kind of major drama and behind the scenes issues.

Eh, this all reads to me that KK and Lucasfilm, Disney etc have a clear vision and so far they have yet to disappoint.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 6:04 pm 
The Master

Disney is literally Satan

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 6:16 pm 

Exactly what my initial reaction was about them postponing announcement of Kenobi, joey. But these wheels are already turning and they'll want to show their best business as usual everything's fine and announce as planned.

Everyone knows they're gonna announce Obi Wan. If they don't? It'll be seen as a reaction to his. That's a bigger scare for them and their stock market value at the other end.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 8:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Did we ever find out which film Trank was working on? Boba Fett?

That's the prevailing wisdom, yeah. I don't think there was ever any official confirmation from either party. But that's what everyone says.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 8:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Eh, this all reads to me that KK and Lucasfilm, Disney etc have a clear vision and so far they have yet to disappoint.

If AB's EW article is accurate and not just Disney spin, then, yeah. That could very well be the case. It's still odd to me that Disney is reaching for very stylistic artists with the hope of reigning them in. I guess, you want to work with talented people.

Star Wars is such an interesting case because it's so expansive and has such a lush media-crossing canon to worry about. So, yeah. It's not black and white. And as I said in the other thread, if it really comes down to altering the script without approval, then I'm Team Lucasfilm.

But obviously, that still doesn't account for Trank and Arndt. Actually, it's interesting that you'd fire a writer to have the director you want and allow him to achieve his vision. But in the Han case you fire the directors so that the writer's vision is more realized. I guess it pays to be a Kasdan. Honestly, I can't fault them for going with the hometown kid.

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 8:32 am 

The film Trank was working on?
They had footage to show at comic con and the whole project was pulled *on the day* they were gonna show it at comic con.

Something big happened there and neither side ever explained in any way.

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 3:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Apparently it was Boba Fett if Kevin Smith is to be believed. And hey, he had a big four part interview with the guy - that never saw part 4, for some reason ;) - so he would know if anyone would.

PostPosted: Fri June 30, 2017 7:30 pm 

Jon Favreau to direct Obi Wan?

That's not an awful idea

PostPosted: Mon July 03, 2017 5:11 pm 
The worst

I was reading about this somewhere the other day, and it sounds more and more like I am glad Disney made this move (allegedly the actor playing Han was one of the ones who was most concern, and that there were major derivations from what was supposedly an amazing script), but given the way L+M work you'd really think they would have hashed this out prior to the start of filming.

Until I get two shitty star wars movies in a row from this group (and so far I've gotten a really good and a great one) I'm happy. And by all accounts everyone is super happy with Last Jedi. It sounds like a lot of this is stylistic as much as it may be vision - a loose improvisational style of directing (which I think Favreau is also somewhat known for -at least on the Iron Man movies) vs. a more classical 'stick to the script, highly organized' approach

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon July 03, 2017 5:12 pm 
The worst

thought I was in the Han Solo thread

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 183  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars