The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disney+: Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:17 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I had heard that this was retooled and delayed because Disney was worried that it was too much like The Mandalorian. And now it's out and the plot is...a lot like the Mandalorian (i.e., gotta save "the child" while being chased by all the bad guys). This could change, and of course it's not exactly the same for many reasons, but it's kind of surprising that 2 projects were greenlit with so many of the same beats.

I think releasing 2 episodes at a time were a bit much; as some others said, the 2nd episode dragged for me about halfway through, and I think it would've been better if there was a week bewteen.

As much as I am not on board with the overall arc of the show, it was mostly fun.

Also, random aside: I have not watched the prequels in HD since they were in theaters, and I've gotta say that those scenes in the prequel recap looked amazing in 4K. That's the last nice thing I'll ever say about the prequels.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I said this before and now that we've seen the first two episodes, I'm more confident. The show is a three act structure. Ep 1-2 are Act One. Ep 3-4 will be Act Two. Ep 5-6 will be Act Three.

More to the point, I think it's super clear that "Act One" -- these two eps -- are the spin of what was the original film version of this project. With the Vader tag added on, obviously.

That's now out of the way and I think the rest of this is going to be something different.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Jorge wrote:
I am curious if there were meetings at Disney+ about the timing of this show opening with a classroom of children being shot at.

As a parent and a husband of an elementary teacher, I wish they'd cut that first scene. It was too much.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Jorge wrote:
I am curious if there were meetings at Disney+ about the timing of this show opening with a classroom of children being shot at.

As a parent and a husband of an elementary teacher, I wish they'd cut that first scene. It was too much.

I totally understand. And I'm sympathetic. But, again, if that is Reva in that scene I think it's important. If it's not, well, then, yeah, they probably should have.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Though, there is something to art reflecting live that I personally find interesting/satisfying. Depending on context of course.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Baller

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:32 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Jorge wrote:

I suspect it's too critical to the Reva plot to have cut so they would've had to delay the show a few weeks to avoid the timing. Tough to watch for sure.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:48 am 
Rank This Poster

I’ve got a middle schooler and a freshman in high school. My wife is a teacher. I am a teacher. We have a fucking lockdown today because a student who wasn’t ours was in our building. I didn’t think of Texas for a second during this sequence. I thought I’d the younglings in the prequels. The lightsabers take the realism out of it for me. I can 100% understand why people would have a hard time watching it, but I didn’t make the connection.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Jorges point was interesting but I’m not sure it bears any influence or relevance to this series or that scene.

It’s a nightmare and while Star Wars does speak to politics and often in the immediate, I dont think it’s happening here.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:30 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

We watched the first episode of the new Stranger Things season tonight. They had a warning message before the episode, and rightly so. Brutal opening sequence and a much closer touchpoint to what happened in Texas this week. I would've delayed the season if I'm Netflix.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:10 am 

Simple Torture wrote:
I had heard that this was retooled and delayed because Disney was worried that it was too much like The Mandalorian. And now it's out and the plot is...a lot like the Mandalorian (i.e., gotta save "the child" while being chased by all the bad guys). This could change, and of course it's not exactly the same for many reasons, but it's kind of surprising that 2 projects were greenlit with so many of the same beats.

I think releasing 2 episodes at a time were a bit much; as some others said, the 2nd episode dragged for me about halfway through, and I think it would've been better if there was a week bewteen.

As much as I am not on board with the overall arc of the show, it was mostly fun.

Also, random aside: I have not watched the prequels in HD since they were in theaters, and I've gotta say that those scenes in the prequel recap looked amazing in 4K. That's the last nice thing I'll ever say about the prequels.

Bollox. You heard wrong.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:23 am 
jeeeesus relax already

im glad they left that scene.

Art should not be retooled in any way for any massacre or event whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:28 am 
Rank This Poster

Ensign9 wrote:
We watched the first episode of the new Stranger Things season tonight. They had a warning message before the episode, and rightly so. Brutal opening sequence and a much closer touchpoint to what happened in Texas this week. I would've delayed the season if I'm Netflix.

We did too. Respectfully disagree. It is the 4th season of a show known for horrific deaths. If you’re struggling with trauma related to violence, you stay away from entertainment known for it. As an aside, I liked this a million times more than Obi wan.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:28 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:
The title of this thread doesn’t match the format of the titles in the rest of this subforum.

Probably my fault anders.

What’s the proper format and I’ll change it

With the force!

Star Wars: Andor (Disney+)
Star Wars : The Mandalorian (Disney+ 2019)

Every movie and many other threads follow a similar format. Book of Boba Fett and Ahsoka are also a bit different, but both have Disney+ at the end, not the front.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:29 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Does it have to have "Star Wars" in the name if we're alread in the Star Wars subforum

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:30 am 

Screw you guys

Is anybody even listening?

He’s meant to be morose and broken and lost

But Leias hair is funny when she runs!

I wish you could hear yourselves

You’re getting obi wan in a perfect time for a story.

Weird the way luke wasn’t dumb sitting on his house podracing, and that was dumb! but Leia running is a problem

Lads

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:32 am 

Jorge wrote:
Does it have to have "Star Wars" in the name if we're alread in the Star Wars subforum

Don’t make me Ridley boyega you

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:34 am 
jeeeesus relax already

dime

eveything with leia running, specially in ep 2 was very poorly handled. I blame Chow, not the actress.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Jorge wrote:

We’re also on view active topics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 183  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars