Switch to full style
May the force be with you
Post a reply

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)

Sat July 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Why did nu metal die? It was pretty short lived as a genre. Are any of those bands even still playing?

Sat July 14, 2018 7:28 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:Why did nu metal die? It was pretty short lived as a genre. Are any of those bands even still playing?

It lasted about as long as grunge

Sat July 14, 2018 7:31 pm

really? It was always sort of irrelevant to me. None of those bands or that whole thing had anything like as big an impact as the grunge thing though, right?

Sat July 14, 2018 7:36 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:really? It was always sort of irrelevant to me. None of those bands or that whole thing had anything like as big an impact as the grunge thing though, right?

nah. It was never that big, but it hung around for a long time.

Sat July 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Someone out there is making an enfys nest/cloudriders animted shirt and it looks Fucking awesome.

Sat July 14, 2018 7:37 pm

I remember nu-metal competing with a lot of hip hop and boy bands. It was a distant third in popularity I think, but it was all rock had to offer.

Sat July 14, 2018 7:40 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:really? It was always sort of irrelevant to me. None of those bands or that whole thing had anything like as big an impact as the grunge thing though, right?

nah. It was never that big, but it hung around for a long time.

Right. Don’t kill me but arctic monkeys always sounded nu metal to me. Their rhythm section on that first album. Could be an influence I guess

Thu August 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Box office through 31July:

$212,783,601 domestic
$177,380,903 foreign

Thu August 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Biff Pocoroba wrote:Box office through 31July:

$212,783,601 domestic
$177,380,903 foreign

New Mission impossible opening weekend? 67 million. ‘Box office smash!’
Solo opening weekend? 80 million ‘it’s a catastrophe!’

Go figure.

Thu August 02, 2018 7:53 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:Box office through 31July:

$212,783,601 domestic
$177,380,903 foreign

New Mission impossible opening weekend? 67 million. ‘Box office smash!’
Solo opening weekend? 80 million ‘it’s a catastrophe!’

Go figure.

aw huh

But to be fair, Solo's budget far exceeded MI:Whatever's budget.

Thu August 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Fallout has legs. It’s already made half as much as Solo in its first week. It’s going to well outgross it by the end of its run. And it cost less. And it isn’t an installment of (what at least used to be) the most popular franchise on the planet. Solo making under $400 million worldwide is pretty shocking. Disney fucked up to an epic degree.

Thu August 02, 2018 8:00 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:Fallout has legs. It’s already made half as much as Solo in its first week. It’s going to well outgross it by the end of its run. And it cost less. And it isn’t an installment of (what at least used to be) the most popular franchise on the planet. Solo making under $400 million worldwide is pretty shocking. Disney fucked up to an epic degree.

I'm with you until that final sentence.

Thu August 02, 2018 8:01 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:Fallout has legs. It’s already made half as much as Solo in its first week. It’s going to well outgross it by the end of its run. And it cost less. And it isn’t an installment of (what at least used to be) the most popular franchise on the planet. Solo making under $400 million worldwide is pretty shocking. Disney fucked up to an epic degree.

KEEP LAPPIN UP THAT MOUSE CUM BOIIIII!!!!!!!!!

Thu August 02, 2018 8:04 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

KEEP LAPPIN UP THAT MOUSE CUM BOIIIII!!!!!!!!!

O... okay?

That's not really what I was... never mind.

Thu August 02, 2018 8:04 pm

I dunno. They knew what they were doing. They owned everything it came out against including avengers and except deadpool. I don’t get the reasoning behind it but there was one. It’s not like all the executive heads of departments at Disney suddenly went oh fuck! We put them all out at the same time!

That few weeks was the most populated Disney output I can remember. I’d say they wanted to see how much their franchises actually do cannibalise each other if set against each other.

They ‘lost’ 500 million on Solo? Maybe. Are they bothered? Doubtful. If it had been a Christmas release it would have undoubtedly done around a billion.

Like I said I’d say it was an experiment.

If you buy that they didn’t want Solo interfering with Mary poppins at the box office, read my post again

Thu August 02, 2018 8:07 pm

I forgot. Think it was Forbes has the report that they didn’t move it to Christmas cos it would affect their gross or stock values or tax in the following year. Somethin like that

Thu August 02, 2018 8:12 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:I dunno. They knew what they were doing. They owned everything it came out against including avengers and except deadpool. I don’t get the reasoning behind it but there was one. It’s not like all the executive heads of departments at Disney suddenly went oh fuck! We put them all out at the same time!

That few weeks was the most populated Disney output I can remember. I’d say they wanted to see how much their franchises actually do cannibalise each other if set against each other.

They ‘lost’ 500 million on Solo? Maybe. Are they bothered? Doubtful. If it had been a Christmas release it would have undoubtedly done around a billion.

If you buy that they didn’t want Solo interfering with Mary poppins at the box office, read my post again

Keeping SOLO at Memorial Day or moving to XMas still gives you the same mediocre movie. Maybe it makes a few extra bucks during the holiday season but you wouldn't get a better film.

Thu August 02, 2018 8:17 pm

blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:I dunno. They knew what they were doing. They owned everything it came out against including avengers and except deadpool. I don’t get the reasoning behind it but there was one. It’s not like all the executive heads of departments at Disney suddenly went oh fuck! We put them all out at the same time!

Keeping SOLO at Memorial Day or moving to XMas still gives you the same mediocre movie. Maybe it makes a few extra bucks during the holiday season but you wouldn't get a better film.

You just hate Star Wars. That’s ok.
It was pure fun and pure Star Wars. I thought it was great.
Be interested to see how it does on home release. I don’t know if there’s official trackers for those numbers though.

Thu August 02, 2018 8:21 pm

do not go against the all-knowing arbiter of star wars

Thu August 02, 2018 8:22 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:do not go against the all-knowing arbiter of star wars

:lol:
Post a reply