The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 184  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66280
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36004
Location: Mountains
durdencommatyler wrote:
This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.

Yea but that was pre internet and was much easier for that not to be a thing. The way information and opinions are shared these days is batshit insane.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66280
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.

Yea but that was pre internet and was much easier for that not to be a thing. The way information and opinions are shared these days is batshit insane.

I agree but I still don't get "spoiler culture."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36004
Location: Mountains
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.

Yea but that was pre internet and was much easier for that not to be a thing. The way information and opinions are shared these days is batshit insane.

I agree but I still don't get "spoiler culture."

That's because you my dear, are always spoiler free :luv:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32827
Location: Buenos Aires
durdencommatyler wrote:
This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.

I don't have the historical knowledge to back this up, but I don't believe that the concept of people trying to avoid having elements of the movie -- or even, say, a novel-- "spoiled" for them is that recent, even if they didn't have the term "spoiler". Didn't Alfred Hitchcock ask Psycho audiences not to give away the ending? I gotta believe similar things have long been around for mystery novels, stage plays and the such.


Last edited by theplatypus on Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22034
Right. So everyone in the last few posts except Strat is ok ok with a film being spoiled on them. And you’re all somehow new to the idea of the internet and how it works? Am I reading that right?

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37420
I think it’s a side effect of information/plot-focused moviewatching. “Spoiler” is a misnomer.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32827
Location: Buenos Aires
dimejinky99 wrote:
Right. So everyone in the last few posts except Strat is ok ok with a film being spoiled on them. And you’re all somehow new to the idea of the internet and how it works? Am I reading that right?

The idea is that the "how" is usually more important than the "what", and I can agree with that. But knowing of certain story elements, especially "shocking" ones, ahead of time can have a dampening effect on their dramatic resonance and the visceral experience of following along with a fiction


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22034
To platys point

You all live in a society that it was ok to walk out of a film and tell someone about it at work, or in the pub, who hasn’t seen it, and that is ok? Seriously?

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22034
theplatypus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Right. So everyone in the last few posts except Strat is ok ok with a film being spoiled on them. And you’re all somehow new to the idea of the internet and how it works? Am I reading that right?

The idea is that the "how" is usually more important than the "what", and I can agree with that. But knowing of certain story elements, especially "shocking" ones, ahead of time can have a dampening effect on their dramatic resonance and the visceral experience of following along with a fiction



Yeah that was kinda included in my calling the guy an asshole for publicly spoiling the last Jedi and using the variety magazine (with a massive reach and readership)

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32827
Location: Buenos Aires
But, I mean, yeah, don't read pre-release reviews and then complain about having stuff spoiled. That's on you.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37420
dimejinky99 wrote:
To platys point

You all live in a society that it was ok to walk out of a film and tell someone about it at work, or in the pub, who hasn’t seen it, and that is ok? Seriously?

Um....yes?

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22034
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
To platys point

You all live in a society that it was ok to walk out of a film and tell someone about it at work, or in the pub, who hasn’t seen it, and that is ok? Seriously?

Um....yes?



And nobody has ever punched you for doing so? Well I guess not.

You’d be ok if someone you know or a reviewer spoiled a film for you before you’d seen it then?

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32827
Location: Buenos Aires
YES THE ANSWER IS YES ALL ALONG HE'S BEEN SAYING YES


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37420
theplatypus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Right. So everyone in the last few posts except Strat is ok ok with a film being spoiled on them. And you’re all somehow new to the idea of the internet and how it works? Am I reading that right?

The idea is that the "how" is usually more important than the "what", and I can agree with that. But knowing of certain story elements, especially "shocking" ones, ahead of time can have a dampening effect on their dramatic resonance and the visceral experience of following along with a fiction

This is fair, yes

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22034
You guys are in the wrong thread / forum / sphere

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 5866
Location: Washington State
durdencommatyler wrote:
That's actually super tame for him. Seems lukewarm at best. I think he probably disliked it more than he expected but wants to stay positive.

Fair point.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66280
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This whole notion of spoilers is such a recent phenomenon. I hate it. We had a full century of filmmaking without the concept.

I don't have the historical knowledge to back this up, but I don't believe that the concept of people trying to avoid having elements of the movie -- or even, say, a novel-- "spoiled" for them is that recent, even if they didn't have the term "spoiler". Didn't Alfred Hitchcock ask Psycho audiences not to give away the ending? I gotta believe similar things have long been around for mystery novels, stage plays and the such.

Sure. But the advent of the internet and the idea that everyone deserves to be heard has amped all of that up to the nth degree. I feel like it really started to crystalize around the Sixth Sense or so. There's always been this idea of "please don't give away" but it's so totally out of control.

I enjoy reading plays before I see them and I've had friends chastise me for that. They think knowing anything about the piece before going into it is some sort of sacrilege. It's bizarre. When I was growing up, people just didn't put the emphasis on it like they do now. And I know my generation was even extreme compared to my parents'.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66280
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
To platys point

You all live in a society that it was ok to walk out of a film and tell someone about it at work, or in the pub, who hasn’t seen it, and that is ok? Seriously?

Um....yes?



And nobody has ever punched you for doing so? Well I guess not.

You’d be ok if someone you know or a reviewer spoiled a film for you before you’d seen it then?

I don't really believe in spoilers, dime. Personally, if a movie's enjoyment hinges on some small, little secret, then it probably isn't a good movie. I love just watching something cold, sure. But I also really enjoying know a lot about a movie before I see it. It helps the critical process and the engagement.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37420
I’ve always wanted to make a movie that shows every major plot point in the opening sequence to change the way the viewer relates to what they’re watching. We worry way too much about what happens in stories.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 184  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 17, 2018 5:15 pm