The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 195  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:27 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Heading lots of people all over the place saying the film was really dark and hard to see what was going on. I had this too and on rogue one.

Anyone here have that happen?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:32 pm 
The Master

I remember R1 being distractingly dark in theaters. This movie seems to have a similar aesthetic - low light, low contrast, earth tones. It probably looks a lot better in Dolby Cinema (and on Blu-ray or 4K). Standard movie projectors often don’t have the necessary brightness to convey this kind of look properly.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:20 pm 

Well I took it to be a pack of brightness issue but I guess this was something done in processing before distributing it. TFA was so bright and clear and sharp. TLJ less so but it didn’t impede your viewing. But rogue one and Solo are approaching murky.

Really bizarre.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:28 pm 

We have as much of a complete snapshot of Han as possible now.

How does it change things seeing he’s a good guy if slightly blemished with breaking the rules as it relates to his role as a father and his final scene with his son?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:45 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Well I took it to be a pack of brightness issue but I guess this was something done in processing before distributing it. TFA was so bright and clear and sharp. TLJ less so but it didn’t impede your viewing. But rogue one and Solo are approaching murky.

Really bizarre.

I don’t think it’s bizarre. R1 has beautiful cinematography, and Solo (from the trailers) looks much better than TFA or TLJ. Just speaks to the limitations of the majority of theater projectors that they sometimes have trouble being presented properly.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:48 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Really bizarre.

I don’t think it’s bizarre. R1 has beautiful cinematography, and Solo (from the trailers) looks much better than TFA or TLJ. Just speaks to the limitations of the majority of theater projectors that they sometimes have trouble being presented properly.

No point in it being beautiful if you can’t see it. You said yourself it was murky.
I’m ok with you thinking this one is better than TFA / TLJ based on having only seen a trailer or two. I’d ask you to hold you to hold off on that for fear of ruining your reputation

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:51 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Really bizarre.

No point in it being beautiful if you can’t see it. You said yourself it was murky.
I’m ok with you thinking this one is better than TFA / TLJ based on having only seen a trailer or two. I’d ask you to hold you to hold off on that for fear of ruining your reputation

When did I say murky?

And there’s plenty of “point.” You can’t discount cinematography choices just because most modern theaters suck. That’s not the movie’s fault. Home video is where movies tend to be best presented these days, and there won’t be any more darkness problems there.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:05 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Really bizarre.

When did I say murky?

And there’s plenty of “point.” You can’t discount cinematography choices just because most modern theaters suck. That’s not the movie’s fault. Home video is where movies tend to be best presented these days, and there won’t be any more darkness problems there.

I’ll apologise I didn’t see your point about earlier about the shitty cinemas.
But you can’t say this is ‘better’ than TFA or TLJ without having seen it.

I mean it’s good. And it’s the most fun new Star Wars we’ve gotten in the new ones.
I’m curious to know what longevity it has. I think it could be empty calories canonically and cinematically. But let’s see.

It’s eminemtly more rewatchable than rogue one. The entire fambase is saying that. While also saying it’s like a fun twin version of it.

Go see it. I don’t care anymore.

No obi wan? They can go fuck themselves with dildos made of Disney dollars.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:07 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Well, I'm not part of the entire fanbase, then. This wasn't even close to being as good as Rogue One

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:08 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I would say it looks better than TLJ.

TLJ has some really high moments where Solo looks amazing the whole movie.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Really bizarre.

When did I say murky?

I’ll apologise I didn’t see your point about earlier about the shitty cinemas.
But you can’t say this is ‘better’ than TFA or TLJ without having seen it.

I mean it’s good. And it’s the most fun new Star Wars we’ve gotten in the new ones.
I’m curious to know what longevity it has. I think it could be empty calories canonically and cinematically. But let’s see.

It’s eminemtly more rewatchable than rogue one. The entire fambase is saying that. While also saying it’s like a fun twin version of it.

Go see it. I don’t care anymore.

No obi wan? They can go fuck themselves with dildos made of Disney dollars.

I was talking about the cinematography looking better. I have no idea if the movie is better or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:14 pm 

Well never see a more visually impactful film in this franchise than the last Jedi.

The editing and cut to scenes worked perfectly. The big shots will never be matched.

And there is no ‘better than’. There’s just ‘I enjoyed it more’.

We’re adults. Can we start with saying that?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm 
The Master

Nah, I didn’t find TLJ visually interesting at all. Rian Johnson isn’t in Gareth Edwards’s league as a visualist.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:22 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Nah, I didn’t find TLJ visually interesting at all. Rian Johnson isn’t in Gareth Edwards’s league as a visualist.

Agreed about Edwards eye and visual ability. But also Edwards should never be allowed write a script ever again. Whereas Johnson has both skills in spades. If only we could cross breed them.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:25 pm 
The Master

Nope, disagree completely. R1 is a pheomonemal movie on every level, full of depth and meaning.

TLJ has a garbage script.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:38 pm 

You need to see it again. Let’s coordinate and I’ll play TLJ and we compare notes.

We could make a whatsapp group and do it live!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 pm 
The Master

I definitely don’t need to see it again. It’s just one of many mediocre movies I feel no desire to revisit. Just because it’s part of the Star Wars brand, that doesn’t mean it means any more to me than any other movie.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:12 pm 

That top knot is cutting off blood to your brain. Sort that out. You’ll see clearly.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:48 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Dime, I've seen TLJ four times now and it has gotten worse each time. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Dime, I've seen TLJ four times now and it has gotten worse each time. Sorry.

Do you also have top knot that you don’t have

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 195  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars