The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 195  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Han Solo (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:15 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
I hope they dont make this Han Solo movie though.

yeah, I mean I already know the guy dies so I probably won't go see this.

Spoiler that shit, yo.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:16 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:19 pm 
The Master

Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The fact that you guys find it so hard to believe that Han could actually, genuinely be happily in love and not want to keep smuggling for criminals probably exposes the fundamental clash in how we're viewing this.

Nah. We do believe he could be. We do believe he was. And we do believe, and find it totally plausible and okay that things changed.

But why is that interesting to you? How is the way it was handled interesting to you? You are simply told all of this in a few lines of dialogue (because Abrams is a hack). Anything could be interesting I suppose, but this isn't. And its pretty obvious that this bare bones backstory only exists to reset the the world to pre-Jedi, so fanboys can rehash the same shit over again.

Plausibility is not the issue here. Get past that.

who said it was interesting? We accept it because it is plausible and that's all that is really needed.

Are you being sarcastic?

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:19 pm 
slower than 82% of US

I accept that LV doesn't like it because it undermines subtext of a previous arc.

I accept that burt doesn't like JJ Abrams and that it isn't interesting to him.

I'd be willing to bet that the rest of us accept that part of his story because it makes sense. It doesn't mean we like it, but we are okay with it because it seems organic to the character.

It doesn't mean that any of us disagree with each other. I'm not sure what either of you need besides "I agree with you that this thing that bothers you has validity"

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:20 pm 
Production Police

You're all batty. The OT was a blast because of the FX and basic plot points. I don't believe that any one of you were sussing out deeper character arc stuff when you were kids, and you mostly liked the light sabers, the costume design, and the action figure tie-ins.

We all hated the prequels because we were old enough to appreciate the finer points, and saw that it was completely lacking in them. But a ton of little kids loved those movies.

Why even desire anything different from the Disney versions? The lazers go PEW!, the sabers go VOOM!, and we even got another trench run. $10 and an evening well spent, no more, no less.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Wed January 06, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:21 pm 
The Master

Mecca wrote:
I accept that LV doesn't like it because it undermines subtext of a previous arc.

I'd be willing to bet that the rest of us accept that part of his story because it makes sense. It doesn't mean we like it, but we are okay with it because it seems organic to the character.

It doesn't mean that any of us disagree with each other. I'm not sure what either of you need besides "I agree with you that this thing that bothers you has validity"

Ive learned in my dating life that often times the other person just wants to know their feelings are valid.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:21 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Ive learned in my dating life that often times the other person just wants to know their feelings are valid.

A wise person once told me that the two primary desires of all humans are to be recognized, and to feel included.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:22 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Mecca wrote:

A wise person once told me that the two primary desires of all humans are to be recognized, and to feel included.

And thats why im single. Fuck that shit

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:23 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Because you don't care to recognize and include another person? Or because they can't do that for you?

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:23 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Because you don't care to recognize and include another person? Or because they can't do that for you?

Because if Han and Leia can't make it work, what chance do i have?

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:24 pm 

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I've heard you have a big dong. What else do you need?

The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
You're all batty. The OT was a blast because of the FX and basic plot points. I don't believe that any one of you were sussing out deeper character arc stuff when you were kids, and you mostly liked the light sabers, the costume design, and the action figure tie-ins.

We all hated the prequels because we were old enough to appreciate the finer points, and saw that it was completely lacking in them. But a ton of little kids loved those movies.

Why even desire anything different from the Disney versions? The lazers go PEW!, the sabers go VOOM!, and we even got another trench run. $10 and an evening well spent, no more, no less.

oh my fucking god

Production Police

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Mecca wrote:

They were going to make it work, until Adam Driver stabbed Han in the stomach.
If there's any lesson here Strat, it's don't ignore a moody Adam Driver.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:25 pm 
The Master

Im just kidding guys. I love love.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:25 pm 

I feel like Mecca had this resolved but we choose to ignore it cause its more fun to argue.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:26 pm 
The Master

LV, what did you think about whats his name and Megan Fox breaking up in transformers after they saved the world?

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:27 pm 
Production Police

I just wanted to post something, and the WWE thread is useless to me.

An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The fact that you guys find it so hard to believe that Han could actually, genuinely be happily in love and not want to keep smuggling for criminals probably exposes the fundamental clash in how we're viewing this.

Nah. We do believe he could be. We do believe he was. And we do believe, and find it totally plausible and okay that things changed.

But why is that interesting to you? How is the way it was handled interesting to you? You are simply told all of this in a few lines of dialogue (because Abrams is a hack). Anything could be interesting I suppose, but this isn't. And its pretty obvious that this bare bones backstory only exists to reset the the world to pre-Jedi, so fanboys can rehash the same shit over again.

Plausibility is not the issue here. Get past that.

who said it was interesting? We accept it because it is plausible and that's all that is really needed.

Thats the perfect summation of Star Wars:

"not very interesting, but certainly plausible."

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

The worst

So here's a long post I was writing as the conversation moved on. Here is Han's arc, as I see it.

When we meet Han Solo in a New Hope he is a hunted, haunted man. He can clearly create attachments because he loves and cares for Chewie despite bossing him around, but he is highly reluctant to let anyone in. He is suspicious and cynical and guarded. It’s not that he only cares about himself—it’s that he’s afraid of caring about other people. Over the course of the trilogy his arc is finding a way to let other people in and take risks on behalf of othem. He doesn’t need to be taught that it’s the right thing to do. He clearly knows that it is. He needs to be taught that other people are worth sacrificing for. He agrees to rescue the princess (I don’t buy that he only does this for money) in a New Hope and comes back for Luke (probably his plan) but he hides what he’s doing because he is afraid of letting his guard down. These are baby steps—they culminate in him accepting a role in the rebellion (a general), and allowing himself new attachments – to Luke and to Leia in different ways. Learning that there are people and causes and ideas worth fighting for.

Fast forward to The Force Awakens. I agree with strat that while he is in the movie partly for nostalgia he is also there to help legitimate the new characters in the eyes of the audience—to pass the torch. Maybe you don’t like that personally, but chalk that up to your taste not aligning with the rest of the galaxy.

The question is can they do that in a way that is not only faithful to the character, but develops the character further in the process. And I think they unquestionably succeed.

We all seem to agree that his leaving Leia over the stress of his kid ‘s turn to the dark side was a plausible story reason to separate them. Having him make a living smuggling also seems realistic—and his arc is not his profession. If we’re uprooted and unsettled of course we fall back on old habits.

But look at what happens to him throughout the movie. He is disappointed in the universe (understandable) but he’s not cynical about it (and as people have remarked his ‘it’s true’ speech about the Force happens in the same spot where he was once dismissive about it). He is clearly willing to risk his life for the Resistance. He is willing to help Rey and Finn, despite having no personal connection to them. Han doesn’t really take a journey in the Force Awakens—they reset the plot but not the character.

And in the end Han ends up sacrificing himself for someone that he loves, with no guarantee of success and a high probability of failure. He has completed the journey that began in a New Hope. It is the perfect closure to his arc—much more than settling down with Leia for the happy ending.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2016 9:28 pm 
The Master

maybe han solo's a closet alcoholic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 195  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars