The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 195  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:58 am 
what on earth am I talking about

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Okay I just looked up the big cameo spoiler and now I'm actually a little excited. That is like the only character I would ever care about seeing.

A pal just cleared something up and Ok now I’m excited and it is a big deal.

Spoiler: show
i think it’s set up and connective tissue for the Obi wan film. If the spoiler guy is head of that crime gang the Obi wan film will be him going to take them out.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yes the spoiler guy is, but he's only in it for not even a few minutes and

Spoiler: show
only in holographic form

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:23 pm 

Gives another character a huge mission and let’s not go further :)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:16 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

If you haven't yet, head to this link and guess Solo's opening weekend gross; guessing only open until Wednesday: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11631

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Are they getting better at keeping albums from leaking because they don't have CDs anymore?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
Are they getting better at keeping albums from leaking because they don't have CDs anymore?

I don't think they ever had CDs in a galaxy far, far away.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:13 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I'm going Saturday morning; same I've done with the last three releases.
Three new Star Wars movies in the last seventeen months :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm 
The Master

Joey, did i see you got a ticket for an early screening of Solo ?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:

Yep yep. Gong Friday morning at 9 am.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Ah. For some reason I thought you saw it this weekend and we’re being weird about talking of th Ndola.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:

I don't think they ever had CDs in a galaxy far, far away.

Dammit. I just want to hear the John Williams theme.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm 

That article also gives away the huge huge spoiler of the movie guys. Avoid it completely.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Ah. For some reason I thought you saw it this weekend and we’re being weird about talking of th Ndola.

Ah. No, not that lucky, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

"Fine." "Safe."

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Pretty sure these people don't have a clue what they really want other than "not that".

Quote:
I don't think I'd want a Boba Fett movie either. So many more interesting stories to be told. But if he's not in Solo, it will be a bit of a dumb move. Like why would you not utilize that character at some point given the obvious history with Han? He's never been a fleshed out character, and is probably better like that. Small doses, with a few bad ass sequences. Would be a Solo cameo people would lose their shit over and bring a ton of good energy to the film, but not drastically effect the quality of the story for shoe horned in fan service.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a "bounty hunter" film though. A 20 minute segment for each where 4-Lom, Dengar, Zuckuss, Fett, Bossk and IG88 all get their time in the sun and fleshed out a bit, maybe even leading up the moment on the bridge in Empire. I don't need it but I could see that working, especially if you tied Jabba into the mix somehow, maybe other popular characters like Cad Bane too.

I too thought some of the best parts of TLJ were the Kylo/Rey interactions. I just wish they would have been more cemented in the actual lore of the jedi and the sith, with both of them really learning more from each other. Rey being on that island, going into that cave - she literally learns nothing about her journey as a Jedi outside of the few lines Luke tries to impart. There was so much more room for expansion there. You can have these new complex characters move the universe forward, but don't change the entire universe! The foundation is already there and cannot be changed - it's not for you to create but for you to play within.

So yeah I think anyone with a brain is all for creating new interesting characters and not relying on pure lazy fan service - but it needs to grow from somewhere established. There have been thousands if not millions of seeds planted previously. Don't ignore them and then say well my seeds are better, and on top of that I'm not even going to take the time to water them and let them grow just accept them for what they are RIGHT NOW. It's an organic process that takes nothing but patience and cannot be rushed.

A Lando spinoff would be a perfect example of this. It wasn't necessarily planned, but if he nails the character and the fan support is there for it - you find a way to tell that story because it makes sense. You still have a over arching plan, but with some wiggle room allowed for things to take fun off roading.

As you mentioned Rogue One is a great example of not being entirely safe too - killing off the entire main cast was risky. It paid off quite well.

I would say the bigger issue here is not Kathleen Kennedy or the story group's or Disney's involvement or perceived SJW agenda on each project. It's actually the lack of it.

We have no Kevin Fiege. No legit plan or map of direction. They are just hiring the best talent they can find and letting them do their own thing which on one hand is actually amazing, but it does need to be held in check at least a little bit. Otherwise you get none of the benefits from a shared cinematic universe and all of the frustration. Which is likely why a lot of these films have all been in post production hell, with reshoots etc. The whole thing has become TOO big and nobody is being held accountable outside of a very vague contributory "story group" who has no leader, with various agenda's, roles, and levels of involvement. There should be someone in charge of the Films, the comics, the novels, the toys - and we should very clearly know who all of these people are and who is holding them accountable.

Like how was it even possible that it was Rian's decision to kill Luke? How was there not a decision made even before 7 was in pre-production, as to how Luke's story arc would progress/end? I can't fathom how that was even possible. For the main sequel trilogy, everyone knows and is on board with the main beats from day 1, and the creative comes in how you get there and the in betweens. For the really experimental stuff, you have the stand alone stories (This where for example; an Edgar Wright Ant-Man style film maybe could have worked, since you have a shared universe in Star Wars but it doesn't always need to connect in the same way the MCU does because those stories are not building to giantic team up movies).

Ultimately I don't think you can point to one person who is guiding this ship right now - so why not anoint someone? KK might be the business fascade but she is far from an expert on Star Wars history and lore. Make someone the Kevin Fiege of the SWCU. You can see the benefits from doing so literally across their cublicles - what would the downside be? Dave Filoni should be doing much more important work than simply working on the new Resistance kids show, but there are plenty of legit candidates who would love to be the new "George Lucas" if you will.

For a sports analogy, if you want to compare this to hiring a new GM and understanding their direction - bring someone in for a 5 maybe 10 year run. If they start tanking, you look in a new direction. If they Kevin Fiege it, you re-up them for another term and keep the party going if they want to. Over the next few decades, it would be an amazing thing to look back and compare various SW visionaries stories from each era.

This is a critical role in these major franchises, moreso than any director you might hire on one project, and it needs to be recognized by Star Wars as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:02 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Going this thursday night.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Going this thursday night.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:11 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Reviews aren't looking good...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 195  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars