The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 195  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Han Solo (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 4:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

run2death wrote:
I'd join a cult if it promised I'd be "fluffed into gratitude" when I died.

:naughty:

That was my favorite part, too.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 4:54 pm 
The Master

I bet Ron Howard is gonna drop out so Alan Smithee can take over

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 4:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I bet Ron Howard is gonna drop out so Alan Smithee can take over

:o

Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This place. If I post anything other than "Oh MAN, I LOVED _______" people think I'm freaking out. Well, whatever. I'm not walking this one back. I've been clear about my perspective on this whole stupid thing and I'm comfortable with my opinions.

OK Joe.

Im glad you are, and yes, i see your point. Cool.

Back to topic, is Ron Howard a weird choice?

I think Ron Howard is probably the best choice, actually. Because I don't really think he's going to be "directing" per se. I think Larry Kasdan is essentially taking over. But because of the DGA rules, he can't be hired as the replacement. So, they're bringing in somebody who will essentially be a calming presence. Someone who is entrenched in Lucasfilm, knows George, works well with actors, has tons of experience, can work a budget, has done humor as well as action, and who will essentially be a "father figure" and do pretty much whatever Kasdan wants.

It makes total sense to me.

Poor Howard. He is a fine director and he is being hired to do nothin in your view.

Yep. Well, not nothing. He's being hired to steer the ship home. But I could be wrong. Obviously, I'm not in the room where it happens. This is all conjecture on my part. Either way, Ron's a safe choice and he has a long history with Lucas and Lucasfilm. It's not ideal but it does make sense to me.

I agree this is the starting point of his involvement. But Howard is a passionate director (if chronically clean and safe) who has a real love for all things space-related. So I think there's a good chance that he'll begin to integrate his own vision a bit once he gets on set, and Disney would be wise to give him a little creative leeway if he starts getting some good ideas.

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

It will be interesting to see how this film is credited when all is said and done. I wonder if L&M even want their name on it at all at this point.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 4:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

Having a SW movie turn into an Alan Smithee film would be all sorts of awesome.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 4:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Imagine if Disney gives him hopes that he can direct this movie and then fires him because of creative differences....

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This place. If I post anything other than "Oh MAN, I LOVED _______" people think I'm freaking out. Well, whatever. I'm not walking this one back. I've been clear about my perspective on this whole stupid thing and I'm comfortable with my opinions.

OK Joe.

Im glad you are, and yes, i see your point. Cool.

Back to topic, is Ron Howard a weird choice?

I think Ron Howard is probably the best choice, actually. Because I don't really think he's going to be "directing" per se. I think Larry Kasdan is essentially taking over. But because of the DGA rules, he can't be hired as the replacement. So, they're bringing in somebody who will essentially be a calming presence. Someone who is entrenched in Lucasfilm, knows George, works well with actors, has tons of experience, can work a budget, has done humor as well as action, and who will essentially be a "father figure" and do pretty much whatever Kasdan wants.

It makes total sense to me.

Poor Howard. He is a fine director and he is being hired to do nothin in your view.

Yep. Well, not nothing. He's being hired to steer the ship home. But I could be wrong. Obviously, I'm not in the room where it happens. This is all conjecture on my part. Either way, Ron's a safe choice and he has a long history with Lucas and Lucasfilm. It's not ideal but it does make sense to me.

I agree this is the starting point of his involvement. But Howard is a passionate director (if chronically clean and safe) who has a real love for all things space-related. So I think there's a good chance that he'll begin to integrate his own vision a bit once he gets on set, and Disney would be wise to give him a little creative leeway if he starts getting some good ideas.

For sure. He's a collaborator. He'll bring in ideas and I'm sure Disney will listen. But I think he'll also listen to his ol' buddy Kasdan. And I'd bet that IF a conflict were to arise, that Howard bows to Kasdan. But, again, I'm just reading between lines and writing my own story here. We'll probably never know the truth about all of this.

Lucas asked Howard to direct each of the prequels, if memory serves. They've been trying to rope him into one of these for a long time. And he directed Willow as a favor to Lucas as well. Howard will have ideas and he'll bring them in, but this really feels like a "favor to the family" kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Imagine if Disney gives him hopes that he can direct this movie and then fires him because of creative differences....

:haha:

There's zero chance that happens. But my GOD that would by amazing if it did. I'll tell you what... if that happens, I'll take back every nice thing I've said about defending Disney is this thread.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

run2death wrote:
Having a SW movie turn into an Alan Smithee film would be all sorts of awesome.

I actually want this to happen. I think it would fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

There's zero chance that happens. But my GOD that would by amazing if it did. I'll tell you what... if that happens, I'll take back every nice thing I've said about defending Disney is this thread.

Oh i know you will eventually. Maybe not with this movie...but if they continue this path, ill happen.

It could be cool if they did it with EP9 though...thats something cool Disney could do, fire Colin Trevorrow.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Oh i know you will eventually. Maybe not with this movie...but if they continue this path, ill happen.

It could be cool if they did it with EP9 though...thats something cool Disney could do, fire Colin Trevorrow.

If I'm Colin, I'm sweating big time right now. Clearly, Disney has no problem removing directors/writers even up until the very last possible minute. He's on the fucking hot seat.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:11 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I bet that guy is such a crowd pleaser he will do anything they want...which in this case is fine, please dont let that guy make any decision.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:16 pm 
The Master

At first I thought I would love it if they fired Trevorrow, but then I realized that I don't care about Ep. 9 whatsoever, and this will just keep him away from ruining something I DO care about.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
At first I thought I would love it if they fired Trevorrow, but then I realized that I don't care about Ep. 9 whatsoever, and this will just keep him away from ruining something I DO care about.

whats that.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:34 pm 
The Master

How much influence can howard if if so much of the film has already been shot? I feel like for him to even be able to put his stamp on it they would need to re-shoot a majority of the film but that doesnt appear to be the case?

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
How much influence can howard if if so much of the film has already been shot? I feel like for him to even be able to put his stamp on it they would need to re-shoot a majority of the film but that doesnt appear to be the case?

There were still 3 weeks of filming left. Reports say they've added a couple of weeks. Then there are four to five weeks of reshoots build in. THR reported that L&M shot a lot "as scripted" then did a ton of improvisational takes. The biggest issue seems to be the lack of coverage and the small camera setups. If the biggest issues are lack of coverage and Aldon's performance, those can easily be fixed with the remaining time and reshoots.

It also seems like L&M were let go just before the DGA rules would have given them access/say in the editing room. It's very possible that the coverage is there but KK didn't trust L&M with the edit; thinking they'd cut together a movie that was more in line with what they wanted than what the script asked for.

But, again, it's all speculation. We'll likely never know for sure. But it seems like the work that needs to be done is mostly clean up and repair. It seems like less than was done to get Rogue One into shape.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:47 pm 
The Master

this is going to suck

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 5:49 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

so hard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 195  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars