The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 195  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (5/25/2018)
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:13 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

HardTI wrote:
Did Chewie rip anyone's arms off in this movie?

Spoiler: show
Yes.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
My 6yo daughter repeated every word that L3 said.

Me: "Do you like that Droid?"
Her: "I'm gonna make her out of LEGOs."

:heartbeat:

I love this so much.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
AnalLog

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
HardTI wrote:
Did Chewie rip anyone's arms off in this movie?

Yes.

Thanks. I swore I saw it but a friend disagreed.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Maybe I'm overthinking it... Probably I'm overthinking it, BUT

We know that Maul is hunting for Sith Holocrons in Rebels. Clearly, Dryden Vos has a giant fucking Sith Holocron on his yacht. Is that part of what Qi'ra is doing with Maul at the end? Maybe that's part of what Maul is after. Also, Qi'ra can fight. Is it possible that she's a Force user? I won't go so far as to say she's Maul's "apprentice" or anything like that but I think it's possible. Obviously, if she is Han can never know or see it. But I wonder how much they're actually setting up for future storytelling, whether it be movies or comics or tv shows or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

On a totally different note

It's crazy how many people really didn't like Lady Proxima. I thought she was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The more I think about it

This movie feels like the Iron Man of a sort of spin-off "cinematic universe." I could easily see a Lando film. A Qi'ra film. A Bobba Fett film. A Jabba film. And I can see all of them setting up a "team-up" or "crossover" epic film, too. The same way Marvel gave lots of characters their own movie but then we got Avengers.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:08 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:

This movie feels like the Iron Man of a sort of spin-off "cinematic universe." I could easily see a Lando film. A Qi'ra film. A Bobba Fett film. A Jabba film. And I can see all of them setting up a "team-up" or "crossover" epic film, too. The same way Marvel gave lots of characters their own movie but then we got Avengers.

oh jesus they're gonna do this

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah, they will of course...but SW was the first big cinematic universe so, they have been doing this since the first one.

Qira being a force user? I dont think so. I thought she might be a sith because of her comunication with Maul, but i guess its just the way she have to escalate in that gang thing.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:45 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

You know you have the option of not watching these right?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:48 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I can’t stop loving this film. Smiling every time I think about it:)

It’s just pure Star Wars fun. They nailed it. Lightning in a bottle.

Endlessly rewatchable too I reckon and I’ve only seen it twice.
I love TLJ but I can rewatch it with anything like the frequency I did TFA. It’s just still so moving n stuff.

I dunno. Solo rocks. I’d be well up for a sequel.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:41 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

You know you have the option of not watching these right?

this feels like a trap

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I saw it this morning, went to an 11:30am showing. I don't mind going to movies by myself but I was the only one in the theater. Seriously, it was like a private showing.
I thought the movie was fine. As someone who didn't watch either animated series the big cameo at the end was one I never would have guessed. I loved everything about the Falcon scenes, they were my favorite part of the whole thing, except for the giant space kraken. I didn't particularly care for the train heist sequence and the scene of Han meeting Chewie was a disappointment forme to be honest. I did like the look of the movie though, and the costuming was great except for one wookie looked really fake. And it's always weird to see Chewbacca's feet.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:
I can’t stop loving this film. Smiling every time I think about it:)

It’s just pure Star Wars fun. They nailed it. Lightning in a bottle.

Endlessly rewatchable too I reckon and I’ve only seen it twice.
I love TLJ but I can rewatch it with anything like the frequency I did TFA. It’s just still so moving n stuff.

I dunno. Solo rocks. I’d be well up for a sequel.

They really got the tone from the old movies right?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:

It's crazy how many people really didn't like Lady Proxima. I thought she was awesome.

I didn't hate Lady Proxima. I just wish she'd spoken a different language. How does that creature form English words? You wouldn't even have to subtitle it. You could follow that conversation based solely on Han's side of it.

I'm not spoiler tagging that, b/c why are you here today if you haven't seen the movie yet?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I didn't hate Lady Proxima. I just wish she'd spoken a different language. How does that creature form English words? You wouldn't even have to subtitle it. You could follow that conversation based solely on Han's side of it.

I'm not spoiler tagging that, b/c why are you here today if you haven't seen the movie yet?

A lot of people are with you on this. It just didn't bug me at all. Personally, I'd love if Star Wars was consistent with this kind of thing and always had alien's speak their native language. But given who she is, it makes total sense to me that she knows Basic (or English) and speaks that with Han.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:07 pm 
The Master

Okay my thoughts:

Hmm. There were parts that I absolutely loved and others i thought were really bad. The movie literally got better as it went on. By the Kessel run i was fully on board and having a fucking blast. The end felt odd just because there really isn't an end to the story and we're not sure if more are being made. Im kind of hoping maybe? The movie is completely unnecessary int he grand scheme of star wars and it is absolutely raw meat for the fan base. Total fan service. Wookie pulling arms off? check. Kessel run? Check. Han stealing kisses? check. How did the falcon turn into the falcon as we know it? check. Han's pistol backstory? Check. And on and on and on.

Lando was a disappointment. Glover played him awesome but his story and place in the film was a huge let down. He was a total chump the entire time. I guess that makes his redemption at end of Empire and into ROTJ a little more interesting, but he was a card cheater, robot fucker, and coward. Thats fine but I was just personally let down even though Glover was awesome.

Alden was great. The way he held and shot the pistol was spot fucking on and i loved that. The first 15 minutes of the movie I was not into him playing Han but as time went on he kind of grew into the role and im completely fine with him doing Han. Good on him and he has got fucking balls. His smirk, his intonation, voice etc....were really fucking good.

Also, that fucking droid was AWFUL. Not funny at all. Super annoying and only became worth a damn once she died and was uploaded to the falcon. The sass thing just didnt work for me. The droid in Rogue One did it far better. This droid was just....wtf? That scene between the droid and qira in the falcon talking about Lando....ugh. That was bad.

I loved the story though. Crimson Dawn, Maul, Dryden....Paul Bettany was awesome and that was a really cool bad guy.

Woody Harrelson - OH man he is just nailing it these days. Everything he does is gold. Loved him.

The double crosses, the swashbuckling, the entertainment, the chases, were so much fun. Total blast. I love that Han took him out at the end. Ruthless!

I dont really think it captured "star wars" for me...whatever that means. ANH was fun and exciting but it was also dark and depressing as well. I think all star wars have kind of been like that so i dont think SOlo is any different in that regard. Or, i just dont understand that whole discussion around it all.

I sometimes thought it doesnt actually feel like star wars but I also loved that about the movie!

I loved the meeting of Han and Chewie. Absolutely loved that. And got fucking teary eyed when Chewie took over as copilot. That worked for me.

Overall, i give it a B. I am unsure if Ill go to the theater again but....perhaps!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

L3 > K2

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
L3 > K2

I can't get on board with this, buddy. I just can't.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
L3 > K2

I can't get on board with this, buddy. I just can't.

I know.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:15 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
My 6yo daughter repeated every word that L3 said.

Me: "Do you like that Droid?"
Her: "I'm gonna make her out of LEGOs."

:heartbeat:

I love this so much.

I'm raising my kids right, man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 195  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars