The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post subject: When you can't accept you're wrong
PostPosted: Sat November 28, 2020 3:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think I've finally got the backlash against the sequel trilogy. It wasn't any perceived "political correctness". Most people don't give a shit that some of the good guys were black, or female, or even with English accents. It's not politics, the politics of the films didn't really change that much. Even the story telling wasn't too bad, and you can expect a decline in quality when the best of the best aren't writing it anymore. The worst bit of that for me was when Poe turned up with a helmet covering almost his entire face when we thought he was dead, and a lack of explanation that Finn flying into the beam wouldn't have stopped it destroying the base. It's not because they were new - even The Phantom Menace doesn't get the stick the sequels do.

Now I was one of the wrong ones, most of us were. In fact virtually the entire Jedi order and religion itself were wrong, and here's why. The Jedi religion tells you this: "All negative emotion is bad. Suppress negative emotion. If you feel much anger, or fear, or sadness, you're probably going to end up a Sith". People/creatures/whatever inevitably feel fear, anger, and sadness so they end up believing that they will end up a Sith.

The prequel trilogy didn't really challenge any of this. The problem with it was the fact that we'd already seen the original trilogy. We knew what happened next. We saw Anakin and we decided "those Jedi are right about him, how he's going to end up". We never questioned how he would get there, how he would be let down. The prequels didn't really tell us anything new. They didn't prove us wrong, or the Jedi Order. Certainly not if we didn't want it to.

But the sequels did. We had Ben, who for all the things he did that can't be undone, rejected the Jedi and the Sith albeit not the force (someone who believes in God but rejects organised religion, you might say). And we had Rey. Not as much of an arsehole, but still someone who is neither 100% good or 100% bad. They can see this in each other, and they keep each other on the straight and narrow. Without either one of them, the other one would have ended up a Sith. Our heroes had got it wrong, and these Heathens got it right where our heroes, who we grew up believing in, had got it wrong.

How you react to evidence that you might have got it wrong can define you. How will you react when presented with evidence that leaving a bloc has made your country poorer? That the government, not immigrants, has taken your job? That you do need to leave your country after all, or that the dementia age hasn't kept up with the mortality age, or the retirement age? Or to go back to the Star Wars universe, what if you were presented with evidence that the Empire was a particular strand of the Sith religion, that the Sith worlds (let's call them Solar Sithier) that were propping the Empire up, were actually being propped up by the very Jedi governments who got you to vote for them by whipping up anti-Sith hatred and a fear of Sith terrorism?

We got it wrong. Our heroes got it wrong. We got it wrong for believing they'd got it right. Rey and Ren got it right where we'd got it wrong, and our heroes had got it wrong. We can either accept it or lash out. I know which reaction I have chosen. How you react yourself is up to you.

p.s - I recommend searching on YouTube for "the case against the Jedi Order". It's a great vid in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: When you can't accept you're wrong
PostPosted: Sat November 28, 2020 3:42 pm 
The Master

The light, and the dark, make the world go wrong. Luke figured it out and passed that onto Rey, i believe.

The Yin. The Yang.

That is the story.

And maybe you needed the 3 trilogies to get there.

PostPosted: Sat November 28, 2020 4:09 pm 
The Master

I wouldn’t know.

PostPosted: Sat November 28, 2020 10:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Praise Christ

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat November 28, 2020 11:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Maybe they weren’t that good?

PostPosted: Sun November 29, 2020 2:05 am 
Major Dude

ding ding ding

PostPosted: Mon November 30, 2020 12:56 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Let's all laugh at Rangers wrote:
p.s - I recommend searching on YouTube for "the case against the Jedi Order". It's a great vid in my opinion.

That guy makes great videos. I posted his video about droids being slaves recently, but no one gave a shit.

PostPosted: Fri December 04, 2020 12:07 pm 
Broken Tamborine

B wrote:
Let's all laugh at Rangers wrote:

That guy makes great videos. I posted his video about droids being slaves recently, but no one gave a shit.

Nothing about films makes me uncomfortable the way robots in films does. Films like I Robot and Blade Runner (even though I've not seen the latter). There are questions like "at what point do we become capable of murdering robots rather than just killing them?" And perhaps the worst, a human who ends up finding out they're actually a robot. It makes me wonder about animals and meat. I'm sure if I'd have seen your link, I'd have had a look.

PostPosted: Wed December 09, 2020 11:27 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Oh so when I say the Jedi are the bad guys and I give a sound philosophical argument, no one listens. But Ranger says it and suddenly everyone agrees?

Typical!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 2:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Oh so when I say the Jedi are the bad guys and I give a sound philosophical argument, no one listens. But Ranger says it and suddenly everyone agrees?

Typical!

This thread is only 8 posts long, Burt. I'm not sure the praise has been universal.

PostPosted: Mon December 14, 2020 3:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

BurtReynolds wrote:

Typical!

I can't comment on that one as I don't know what you said. Generally the arguments vary. Someone on YouTube said the Empire were the good guys because they have a death star, and the allies dropped atom bombs on innocent people. I can't say I agree with him there.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars