Switch to full style
May the force be with you
Post a reply

Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Empire Strikes Back

Mon October 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Anders wrote:It's Lucas himself that has said it was the story of Anakin and the Skywalker saga.

He said a lot of things but he said that after the fact I think. Not during the creation period.

Mon October 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Anders wrote:It's Lucas himself that has said it was the story of Anakin and the Skywalker saga.

I know. That was my point.

Mon October 02, 2017 5:14 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:
wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:I've the winning bid on rinzlers Making of empire strikes back book on eBay. Two hours to go. May the force be with me.

I’m pulling for you.

And a sincere thanks to you for keeping at me about reading these. I thought I knew the whole story and background story and difficulties these films and those involved went through. I knew nothing. I finished the first book last night and immediately watched a new hope and truly saw it with completely new eyes and respect and awe. It's incredible the gargantuan work that went into even the quickest shot up to the overall and the sound and music and never ending legal drama. It's beyond a miracle a new hope ever managed to make it onto a screen in front of a paying audience. Just floored and thankful for George's determination and doggedness despite his vision being totally compromised. Sad that he still isn't satisfied with it. But maybe his vision had it made it on screen would have left us all cold. I think a balance was found in the making and it worked out the best way out could have and for all our benefits.

Can't wait to get into the empire book.

Yeah. This series opens up a LOT of information. Not only in the creative process but production-wise, financial, really all aspects of how a movie gets made. And it really blows to hell the revisionist idea that the whole saga (Lucas-wise) is the story of Anakin Skywalker.

Really does. I scored the ROTJ this morning too. Drawing the line there. No interest in getting the prequel books at all.

Holy shit! Look at you go!

AFAIK, there’s only one for REVENGE. I’ve not seen any for the other two. It’s written completely different than the OT books, tho. I can’t get into it at all.

Mon October 02, 2017 5:27 pm

wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:I've the winning bid on rinzlers Making of empire strikes back book on eBay. Two hours to go. May the force be with me.

I’m pulling for you.

And a sincere thanks to you for keeping at me about reading these. I thought I knew the whole story and background story and difficulties these films and those involved went through. I knew nothing. I finished the first book last night and immediately watched a new hope and truly saw it with completely new eyes and respect and awe. It's incredible the gargantuan work that went into even the quickest shot up to the overall and the sound and music and never ending legal drama. It's beyond a miracle a new hope ever managed to make it onto a screen in front of a paying audience. Just floored and thankful for George's determination and doggedness despite his vision being totally compromised. Sad that he still isn't satisfied with it. But maybe his vision had it made it on screen would have left us all cold. I think a balance was found in the making and it worked out the best way out could have and for all our benefits.

Can't wait to get into the empire book.

Yeah. This series opens up a LOT of information. Not only in the creative process but production-wise, financial, really all aspects of how a movie gets made. And it really blows to hell the revisionist idea that the whole saga (Lucas-wise) is the story of Anakin Skywalker.

Really does. I scored the ROTJ this morning too. Drawing the line there. No interest in getting the prequel books at all.

Holy shit! Look at you go!

AFAIK, there’s only one for REVENGE. I’ve not seen any for the other two. It’s written completely different than the OT books, tho. I can’t get into it at all.

Yeah I've seen it and some art books for the prequels. No interest in doing them tbh. These three will be treasures.

Sadly we'll never see the TFA or rogue one book he was working on.
He seems to have had a dramatic parting of ways with LFL

Fri October 06, 2017 10:35 am

Wease! Got it!! Woohoo!!

Fri October 06, 2017 10:48 am

Looks cool.

Fri October 06, 2017 11:37 am

You’ll love it Dime.

Mon October 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Ralph McQuarrie is actually in Empire!?!?! That's so fuckin awesome :)

Wed February 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Wed October 03, 2018 9:44 pm

The long lost making of empire strikes back documentary has at las been found.
The finding took years. It’s rarely been seen apparently. I’m watching now I’ve never seen it.
Lovely interviews with Mark Carrie and Harrison and Kirsh

Thu October 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Will definitely watch tonight

Thu October 04, 2018 5:15 pm

It was fantastic. Especially Mark and Carrie and the model shop stuff

Fri October 05, 2018 3:30 am

Watching this reminds me of how criminal it is that we won’t ever get a scene with the three of them together again. And also that none of them live until the end of the whole thing.

Fri October 05, 2018 10:11 am

Watched this with my boy today. It was his first viewing. What a great film.

Spent the rest of the day avoiding lightsabers and playing Star Wars Lego. The bug is as strong as it was 37 years ago.

Fri October 05, 2018 11:20 am

THats so cool :)

Fri October 05, 2018 11:43 am

Good job, LMS.

Wed October 10, 2018 8:47 pm

This is kind of a mind bender. I got the Star Wars Costumes book today. Focused on the OT and interviewing the three main designers and staff. It’s awesome. This though. There were rumours. But here’s proof.

Wed October 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Fucking Christopher Nolan!

Wed October 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Haha!!

Weirdly all the toys of Han at the time were produced in navy blue as a result.
Here’s the bit about the colour grading

Thu October 11, 2018 11:22 pm

My childhood is ruined.
Post a reply