The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14043
Location: Cumberland, RI
Hey so why do Sith call their side of the Force "the dark side"? I thought of this today while watching a scene from ROTS, but it could go for the OT too (i.e., Vader saying "If you only knew the power of the dark side"). Since to them this aspect of the Force is what gives them the power to dominate the galaxy, it's inherently good to them, so they should probably just refer to it as "the Force." Hitler didn't walk around saying, "I'm an evil motherfucker!" From his perspective, he was doing a good thing. In a perfect world, the phrase "the dark side" should only be used in the way Obi Wan uses it in Star Wars--as a warning and a way to distinguish it from the proper use of the force.

I also wouldn't mind if the phrase "light side" was stripped from canon as well.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 6296
Location: Oslo, Norway
Being dark isn't a bad thing in itself though.

"Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order and the individuals who became the Sith were considered brothers in the Force. This unity fractured, however, during the period of time known as the Hundred-Year Darkness, when a rogue Jedi came to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity, and that only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi High Council at the time balked at this new direction and the fallen Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order, which resulted in the formation of the Sith Order. As a result of the schism between the Jedi and the Sith, the Force came to be seen as divided between their two philosophies: the Jedi's selfless commitment to serving and defending came to be regarded as the light side of the Force while the Sith's use of emotion and violence became known as the dark side of the Force."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:04 pm
Posts: 1590
Location: Heathrow, FL
Anders wrote:
Being dark isn't a bad thing in itself though.

"Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order and the individuals who became the Sith were considered brothers in the Force. This unity fractured, however, during the period of time known as the Hundred-Year Darkness, when a rogue Jedi came to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity, and that only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi High Council at the time balked at this new direction and the fallen Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order, which resulted in the formation of the Sith Order. As a result of the schism between the Jedi and the Sith, the Force came to be seen as divided between their two philosophies: the Jedi's selfless commitment to serving and defending came to be regarded as the light side of the Force while the Sith's use of emotion and violence became known as the dark side of the Force."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force


I'd like to see a movie on THIS.

I'd say this about Sith, It's not as bad a movie as everyone says. The duel at the end is amazing. McGregor OWNS this film as Obi-wan. I remember being disappointed with Anakin not being in the Suit until the end, but it makes sense to me all these years later. The suit represents his complete loss of humanity that only comes back to him when he decides he doesn't want to see his son die. Yes, the whole broken heart death was stupid the NOOOOOOOOOOO is awful. But it had some great moments. The burning by the lava pit is still hard to watch.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 3:42 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22033
Sith is a great movie.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"I didn't get my Christmas single until September."
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14999
Location: Mizzou
dimejinky99 wrote:
Sith is a great movie.


:roll:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14043
Location: Cumberland, RI
Sith has some great scenes.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"I didn't get my Christmas single until September."
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14999
Location: Mizzou
Simple Torture wrote:
Sith has some great scenes.


It certainly does.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:09 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22033
See I can’t say this without being attacked but as with TLJ when I’d say to people it’s better after a couple of viewings, with time the prequels and especially sith have had a renaissance and aren’t actually as bad as we think they are.
It’s not amazing but it’s better than good.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 6296
Location: Oslo, Norway
I love this movie.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 4:18 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22033
Of the three prequels I absolutely love it.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6017
lowlight79 wrote:
Anders wrote:
Being dark isn't a bad thing in itself though.

"Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order and the individuals who became the Sith were considered brothers in the Force. This unity fractured, however, during the period of time known as the Hundred-Year Darkness, when a rogue Jedi came to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity, and that only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi High Council at the time balked at this new direction and the fallen Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order, which resulted in the formation of the Sith Order. As a result of the schism between the Jedi and the Sith, the Force came to be seen as divided between their two philosophies: the Jedi's selfless commitment to serving and defending came to be regarded as the light side of the Force while the Sith's use of emotion and violence became known as the dark side of the Force."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force


I'd like to see a movie on THIS.

I'd say this about Sith, It's not as bad a movie as everyone says. The duel at the end is amazing. McGregor OWNS this film as Obi-wan. I remember being disappointed with Anakin not being in the Suit until the end, but it makes sense to me all these years later. The suit represents his complete loss of humanity that only comes back to him when he decides he doesn't want to see his son die. Yes, the whole broken heart death was stupid the NOOOOOOOOOOO is awful. But it had some great moments. The burning by the lava pit is still hard to watch.


The duel is one of my least favorite parts of the movie. It feels like the pod race all over again. Just long, boring, overly produced (choreographed), and the CGI is distracting.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37419
Definitely my least favorite of the original six.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6017
Despite my problems with it / the prequels in general, I'll say this; The Clone Wars series made lemonade out of those lemons, and I now appreciate the ideas in the prequels more than I used to.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:39 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22033
darth_vedder wrote:
Despite my problems with it / the prequels in general, I'll say this; The Clone Wars series made lemonade out of those lemons, and I now appreciate the ideas in the prequels more than I used to.



I’m with you on that. I think I prefer the series the the prequels in some ways.
But clone wars brings the sequels to life in many different ways.
Primarily it makes Anakin likeable and understandable

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"I didn't get my Christmas single until September."
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14999
Location: Mizzou
darth_vedder wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
Anders wrote:
Being dark isn't a bad thing in itself though.

"Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order and the individuals who became the Sith were considered brothers in the Force. This unity fractured, however, during the period of time known as the Hundred-Year Darkness, when a rogue Jedi came to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity, and that only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi High Council at the time balked at this new direction and the fallen Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order, which resulted in the formation of the Sith Order. As a result of the schism between the Jedi and the Sith, the Force came to be seen as divided between their two philosophies: the Jedi's selfless commitment to serving and defending came to be regarded as the light side of the Force while the Sith's use of emotion and violence became known as the dark side of the Force."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force


I'd like to see a movie on THIS.

I'd say this about Sith, It's not as bad a movie as everyone says. The duel at the end is amazing. McGregor OWNS this film as Obi-wan. I remember being disappointed with Anakin not being in the Suit until the end, but it makes sense to me all these years later. The suit represents his complete loss of humanity that only comes back to him when he decides he doesn't want to see his son die. Yes, the whole broken heart death was stupid the NOOOOOOOOOOO is awful. But it had some great moments. The burning by the lava pit is still hard to watch.


The duel is one of my least favorite parts of the movie. It feels like the pod race all over again. Just long, boring, overly produced (choreographed), and the CGI is distracting.


Same. I remember looking forward to it for years and then being really disappointed. The Order 66 montage is much better.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:51 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22033
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Definitely my least favorite of the original six.



You love attack of the clones right?

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37419
dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Definitely my least favorite of the original six.



You love attack of the clones right?

Oh definitely not, but I like things about it. It has some great set-pieces.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2018 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"I didn't get my Christmas single until September."
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14999
Location: Mizzou
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Definitely my least favorite of the original six.



You love attack of the clones right?

Oh definitely not, but I like things about it. It has some great set-pieces.


Kamino is so damn cool.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13534
dimejinky99 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Despite my problems with it / the prequels in general, I'll say this; The Clone Wars series made lemonade out of those lemons, and I now appreciate the ideas in the prequels more than I used to.



I’m with you on that. I think I prefer the series the the prequels in some ways.
But clone wars brings the sequels to life in many different ways.
Primarily it makes Anakin likeable and understandable


This touches on a point ive made before, and one of the weirder things I noticed when I introduced my kids to Star Wars.

Sure the first time through we watched it in release order, but as they got older and started to actually understand the story...


To all of us, Darth Vader used to be a good guy.

to kids now? Anakin Skywalker became a bad guy.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: Revenge of the Sith
PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2018 3:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14043
Location: Cumberland, RI
dimejinky99 wrote:
See I can’t say this without being attacked


One person rolls their eyes at Dime and suddenly

Image

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 17, 2018 4:24 pm