The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Watch the Movie: The Phantom Menace
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:30 pm 
Future Drummer

EJ wrote:
blueviper wrote:
This was the most anticipated movie for me at the time. I stood in line to get tickets. And I stood in line for the midnight show.

After it was over, the guy behind me said to his friend "Damn. I have two more tickets to see this this weekend." But it wasn't a happy statement.

I was telling myself this was an awesome movie, but deep down I knew something was wrong.

Yeah, looking back, what a disappointment.

Nothing in this movie captures any of the magic GL performed in the OT. Except for opening crawl main theme and end credits theme :)

:haha:

I reluctantly saw this a second time in the theater because one of my good friends hadn't seen it yet. It was grueling that second time. But, I didn't want to affect his viewing at all by grumbling during it. But, he kept turning to me and saying "what the f*ck is this?"

The best things about this movie were the build-up/anticipation and the movie poster with Anakin's Vader shadow.

I beat myself up every time I think about wasted money on 16 tickets to this thing. Yes. 16 times. In my defense I didn't have many friends at the time and theater going was my hobby. But 16 times? I wish I could go back in time and kick myself in the nuts.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

There are so many good scenes in this movie, it was also full of creative ideas, that to this day we can get joy from.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

blueviper wrote:
EJ wrote:
blueviper wrote:
This was the most anticipated movie for me at the time. I stood in line to get tickets. And I stood in line for the midnight show.

After it was over, the guy behind me said to his friend "Damn. I have two more tickets to see this this weekend." But it wasn't a happy statement.

I was telling myself this was an awesome movie, but deep down I knew something was wrong.

Nothing in this movie captures any of the magic GL performed in the OT. Except for opening crawl main theme and end credits theme :)

I reluctantly saw this a second time in the theater because one of my good friends hadn't seen it yet. It was grueling that second time. But, I didn't want to affect his viewing at all by grumbling during it. But, he kept turning to me and saying "what the f*ck is this?"

The best things about this movie were the build-up/anticipation and the movie poster with Anakin's Vader shadow.

I beat myself up every time I think about wasted money on 16 tickets to this thing. Yes. 16 times. In my defense I didn't have many friends at the time and theater going was my hobby. But 16 times? I wish I could go back in time and kick myself in the nuts.

You saw it 16 times at the cinema, and now you hate it?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Anders wrote:
There are so many good scenes in this movie, it was also full of creative ideas, that to this day we can get joy from.

The most joy came from when The Simpsons parodied it.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:38 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Anders wrote:
blueviper wrote:
EJ wrote:
blueviper wrote:

jeezus. that is just masochistic.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:43 pm 
Future Drummer

Anders wrote:
blueviper wrote:
EJ wrote:
blueviper wrote:

No, I think later that year I came to realize it was mediocre. I think some of those viewings were to convince myself it was good or to watch the lightsaber battle again. back then there weren't video sites like youtube where you could watch clips of movies pretty close to after they came out in theaters.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm 
Future Drummer

EJ wrote:
Anders wrote:

Oh they did? I didn't realize that!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

blueviper wrote:
EJ wrote:
Anders wrote:

Oh they did? I didn't realize that!

Yeah, just a couple minutes worth of parody in an episode on the prequels.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

and everything with Jar jar.

My god.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

blueviper wrote:
EJ wrote:
blueviper wrote:

This explains so much about you and how Star Wars did actually hurt you. And how you stop yourself enjoying the new films.

I understand now.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It’s kind of boring when every prequel thread turns into complaining. The movies have lots of great stuff in them, and I highly enjoy them.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I did actually enjoy Liam Neeson's performance a lot.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:18 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I wasn’t complaining. Just referencing hurt being projected into the new film threads.
Cause and effect man. It’s iur youth that shapes us.

Up to us to be men and grow past the hurt. Man

Yeah I’m listening to too much rogan

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:22 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:

I agree with this. This movie was a huge swing for the fences creatively. It was bold. Doesn’t mean it worked, but I will always admire movies that “go for it” like this did. Pretty gutsy of Lucas to not bank on nostalgia at all here.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:38 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
blueviper wrote:
EJ wrote:
blueviper wrote:

This explains so much about you and how Star Wars did actually hurt you. And how you stop yourself enjoying the new films.

I understand now.

LOL

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 pm 
Future Drummer

Anders wrote:
It’s kind of boring when every prequel thread turns into complaining. The movies have lots of great stuff in them, and I highly enjoy them.

Sorry for my complaining. It just popped to the top and I noticed you were talking about it and just was expressing my feelings.

I'm trying to find something from it I still enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:45 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Anders wrote:

I agree with this. This movie was a huge swing for the fences creatively. It was bold. Doesn’t mean it worked, but I will always admire movies that “go for it” like this did. Pretty gutsy of Lucas to not bank on nostalgia at all here.

you dont think he bank on it? C3PO being Anakin´s creation, R2D2...??

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
I wasn’t complaining. Just referencing hurt being projected into the new film threads.
Cause and effect man. It’s iur youth that shapes us.

Up to us to be men and grow past the hurt. Man

Yeah I’m listening to too much rogan

Oh wait. You think my dozen plus viewings of TPM shaped my feelings for the ST?

I know I complain a lot but I don't think i'm butt hurt. I've just been disappointed with SW output. I've never been a part of the whole "_____ raped my childhood". That's ridiculous hyperbole.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I guess this is a good example anyway with the whole ¨good he tried something new and didnt banked on nostalgia¨

I dont care. Bank it all on nostalgia but make a good fucking movie if you want.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Anders wrote:

you dont think he bank on it? C3PO being Anakin´s creation, R2D2...??

Including some familiar characters isn’t nostalgia banking, IMO. The movie entire’s aesthetic approach is totally different from the OT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars