Switch to full style
May the force be with you
Post a reply

Re: Star Wars: The Prequels

Sun August 26, 2018 11:51 pm

OK started listening to the audiobook and the opening battle above Coruscant goes on for about 45 minutes

This will be amazing. I thought no.

Sun November 04, 2018 8:54 am

Did you learn anything new?

Sun November 04, 2018 9:20 am

Don’t think I kept going after the never ending opening battle. But my loss. Everyone says the book is fantastic.

Mon December 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Watched The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones again this week. I love how colorful these movies are, and how there are so many different alien worlds and creatures, robots and ships. There’s politics and war, lots of action and several fantastic actors, as well as a long list of standout scenes. The movies also led to the wonderful Clone Wars series.

It’s a shame the two movies are so flawed. These movies could have been true classics. The main premise is solid, but the story in both suffer from some poor ideas. Those that annoy me the most are those that seem made specifically for kids (Jar Jar, clumsy and lucky going hand in hand, the robot making scene in AOTC followed by the colosseum scene). The romance should have been better, and the story behind the creation of the clone army seems fair, but rushed. There’s also the virgin birth and the midi-chlorians in TPM, which I guess can be debated. The list of positives is still longer than the negatives.

I’m sure I’ve written a similar post before. The sad thing is that while the new movies have less obvious flaws, they also lack a lot of the inventiveness, scope and strengths of the prequels.

Mon March 25, 2019 5:38 pm

Has anyone ever listened to the podcast 'Blank Check' with Griffin Newman (actor - he is arthur on the tick) and David Sims (film critic). Excellent podcast. They are very funny, are insightful, and have a great dynamic. Their podcast started out with a 30 episode in depth analysis of the prequels, with the gimmick that they were pretending the original trilogy did not exist and this story was actually beginning with episode 1.

Well worth a listen

Mon March 25, 2019 5:59 pm

I’ve heard the name David Simms.

But 30 episodes??

How long are they?

And is it for laughs or are they really getting into it?

Mon March 25, 2019 8:38 pm

They are each 60-90 minutes. And it is both. It's very funny but it is also an actor and a film critic so they are often discussing craft, etc. Each episode focuses on a theme (so one of the episodes in the Attack of the Clones block was on the jedi order, another was on the love story, a whole episode in phantom menace was on Jar Jar,)

Mon March 25, 2019 9:21 pm

That is amazing. Real dedication.

Mon March 25, 2019 9:29 pm

I haven't listened to the star wars episodes, but I can confirm that. Blank check is a good podcast.

Fri April 05, 2019 6:28 pm

dimejinky99 wrote:Don’t think I kept going after the never ending opening battle. But my loss. Everyone says the book is fantastic.

It is. It better explains the strain on Anakin. He was more of a galactic celebrity and as such, the stress associated with that.

Sun April 14, 2019 4:39 pm

From celebration this weekend:

Sun April 14, 2019 8:50 pm

20th anniversary phantom menace panel tomorrow
Featuring these two lads.

And with any luck, Ewan McGregor

Sun April 14, 2019 8:53 pm

I look forward to that.

Sun April 14, 2019 11:50 pm

Anders wrote:From celebration this weekend:

Amazing how modern medical advances have been able to reattach his limbs.

Mon April 15, 2019 1:53 am

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Anders wrote:From celebration this weekend:

Amazing how modern medical advances have been able to reattach his limbs.

And Palpatine?

Survived a great fall a reactor explosion and the cold death of space?

Mon April 15, 2019 11:28 am

I like that the backdrop is framed like the old Topps card set for the original movie.

Mon April 15, 2019 11:53 am

Actually it will be a little bit strange (but cool) if Hayden is on the panel, since he wasn't in the movie.

Mon April 15, 2019 11:56 am

Matt Lanter was the voice of Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars movie and series.

Mon April 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Anders wrote:Actually it will be a little bit strange (but cool) if Hayden is on the panel, since he wasn't in the movie.

Great. Now I’m all ‘Obi wan and Anakin series! Confirmed!’

Mon April 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Twenty minutes to go.

Please turn up Ewan. Cmon
Post a reply