The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Star Wars: The Prequels
PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Discuss what you love about them, what you hate about them, what you wish would have happened, etc...

Ruddo said I have to have this guy in the OP, so here you go:

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Prequels
PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:05 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

darth_vedder wrote:
Discuss what you love about them, what you hate about them, what you wish would have happened, etc...

Ruddo said I have to have this guy in the OP, so here you go:

Ha, I was kidding. But I won't complain!

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:06 pm 
The Master

http://www.gamesradar.com/george-lucas-nearly-wrote-perfect-prequel-trilogy-he-just-didnt-seem-notice/

Intriguing...

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:19 pm 
The worst

It's a cool idea, but that is really stretching the meaning of the word NEARLY to its limits.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:20 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:

woah, i've had some of these same thoughts, but that guy articulates them very well.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:21 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
It's a cool idea, but that is really stretching the meaning of the word NEARLY to its limits.

haha, agreed. 70s GL could've pulled this off, but 90s GL was too preoccupied with catering to the masses.

Last edited by spike on Tue December 22, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:22 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

woah, i've had some of these same thoughts, but that guy articulates them very well.

Reading that just made me realize even more how bad the prequels are. Good lord.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:24 pm 
The Master

I re-watched Episode III a few days ago, and it wasn't as laughably bad as I remembered. The dialogue and acting is still horrendous, and all the Three Stooges droid humor is unbearable, but there's some stuff to like. Some brief thoughts:

I think the CG environments are actually quite impressive for the most part, and feel more visionary and immersive than anything in TFA. Unfortunately, a lot of the other CG effects (like actual characters) don't fare as well.

Really impressive sound design. This is another area where the prequels excelled above TFA. Like they did in the OT, Lucas and co. managed to create a seemingly endless supply of singular sounds (the calls of that lizard-alien Obi-Wan rides, for example).

Anakin's turn to the dark side is rushed and unconvincing, but again, I appreciate the attempt. I like that you see him kind of bounce back and forth between loyalty to Palpatine and the Jedi. The seduction scenes between him and Palpatine are compelling, even though they could have been better-executed. Palpatine's monologue at the bubble opera is the highlight. McDiarmid is great (until he turns into the Emperor, at which time he gets goofy).

The action set-pieces are legitimately epic and impressive, and I would say that goes for all the prequels. These scenes are where the movies shine (which may be because they involve very little dialogue and acting).

And I know I'm alone on this, but I appreciate all the political minutiae. It makes sense that we see more of that during the build-up to war (prequels) and not during the war (OT). It's by no means particularly well-executed, but I appreciate the effort.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:26 pm 
The worst

I like the idea of the political minutiae in theory, but this was so poorly executed that it became a huge hindrance.

The sound design is very good, and while the fights are well staged (although the martial arts saber fights have not aged well) I just don't care who wins

He/Him/His

RM Elitist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I re-watched Episode III a few days ago, and it wasn't as laughably bad as I remembered. The dialogue and acting is still horrendous, and all the Three Stooges droid humor is unbearable, but there's some stuff to like. Some brief thoughts:

I think the CG environments are actually quite impressive for the most part, and feel more visionary and immersive than anything in TFA. Unfortunately, a lot of the other CG effects (like actual characters) don't fare as well.

Really impressive sound design. This is another area where the prequels excelled above TFA. Like they did in the OT, Lucas and co. managed to create a seemingly endless supply of singular sounds (the calls of that lizard-alien Obi-Wan rides, for example).

Anakin's turn to the dark side is rushed and unconvincing, but again, I appreciate the attempt. I like that you see him kind of bounce back and forth between loyalty to Palpatine and the Jedi. The seduction scenes between him and Palpatine are compelling, even though they could have been better-executed. Palpatine's monologue at the bubble opera is the highlight. McDiarmid is great (until he turns into the Emperor, at which time he gets goofy).

The action set-pieces are legitimately epic and impressive, and I would say that goes for all the prequels. These scenes are where the movies shine (which may be because they involve very little dialogue and acting).

And I know I'm alone on this, but I appreciate all the political minutiae. It makes sense that we see more of that during the build-up to war (prequels) and not during the war (OT). It's by no means particularly well-executed, but I appreciate the effort.

I kinda agree with most of this.

The Master

I couldnt stand that lizard thing Obi Wan rides and the sound it makes. I remember even the first time being upset over it and wishing the pain would end.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:29 pm 
The Master

The sheer amount of CGI ruins most of the action scenes for me.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:29 pm 
The Master

sees TFA, rewatches prequels and decides they're cool. classic LV.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:32 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
sees TFA, rewatches prequels and decides they're cool. classic LV.

Nah, I've never hated the prequels. III was always my least favorite, but it was also the one I was least familiar with, and I hadn't seen it in years. The prequels were such a big part of my childhood, and my thoughts on them often evolve a bit every time I rewatch them.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:38 pm 
The worst

The best way to experience the prequels:

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:40 pm 
The worst

The second best way to experience the prequels (and a new hope):

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:40 pm 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I kinda agree with most of this.

i generally do as well, though i haven't seen the force awakens yet...i thought the cg environments were overkill and mostly distracting though

outside of the anakin/padme interaction i liked attack of the clones more than i remembered too

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:42 pm 
The worst

and if you're short on time:

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 5:50 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

stip wrote:
(although the martial arts saber fights have not aged well)

Yeah I find the lightsaber duels much more satisfying in 4-7 as opposed to 1-3. Sword fights should be exhausting not effortless.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2015 6:19 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
stip wrote:
(although the martial arts saber fights have not aged well)

Yeah I find the lightsaber duels much more satisfying in 4-7 as opposed to 1-3. Sword fights should be exhausting not effortless.

Absolutely. There is no emotion in those saber duels for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars