The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 38%  38%  [ 24 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 12 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 63
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Fri September 07, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
Yeah the big streamers like iTunes and Amazon and Netflix don’t seem to release figures but there’s no doubt they own the game now. Safe to assume if it did that many physical sales it did a lot more on those platforms.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Sat September 08, 2018 2:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9707
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Mon September 10, 2018 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 333
At 4:20, “starts with one of the best space battles in the entire series”

Jesus, this is going to be a rough one to watch.

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Mon September 10, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 333
Videos like this (and the other end of the spectrum) are why there will always be conflicting attitudes towards this movie (and any other movie in history)

If he thinks that the Finn arc is great in TLJ, then he's never going to understand my position on why I think it sucks. And vice versa.

On a side note, he's kinda annoying. I always cringe when someone is using cuss words in their discussion to sound hip or cool or whatever he thinks it makes him look like.

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 2:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Washington State
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
blueviper wrote:
Videos like this (and the other end of the spectrum) are why there will always be conflicting attitudes towards this movie (and any other movie in history)

If he thinks that the Finn arc is great in TLJ, then he's never going to understand my position on why I think it sucks. And vice versa.

On a side note, he's kinda annoying. I always cringe when someone is using cuss words in their discussion to sound hip or cool or whatever he thinks it makes him look like.



YouTube is a cesspit but particularly the Star Wars end of it. It’s just some guy spouting shit into a camera. Why should I waste time in my life watching it. It’s no more valid cos he’s saying it into a camera, no matter what side of the fence he’s on.
I understand your frustration with videos like this, completely.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9707
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Patrick H. Willems is one my favorite YouTubers. He is or was a film student who takes some amazing deep dives into aspects of film making that I didn't even know where a thing.



His set ups are often pretty silly, but they way he views movies, screenplays, and story telling is really interesting to me. He also provides insightful criticism without all the whiny nitpicking that is all over YouTube. In fact, he made an anti-nitpicking video.


_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 333
his "Storytelling language of Star Wars" is pretty good. I like seeing all the styles explained in a few minutes time. I noticed the flashback in TLJ the first time I saw it, and commented to my brother how weird it was to see that in a SW movie.

But man the prequels are bad. That first he shows with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, the queen and captain panaka, it looks like the queen's aides and panaka all walk into frame and look for their spots on the floor.

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
blueviper wrote:
his "Storytelling language of Star Wars" is pretty good. I like seeing all the styles explained in a few minutes time. I noticed the flashback in TLJ the first time I saw it, and commented to my brother how weird it was to see that in a SW movie.

But man the prequels are bad. That first he shows with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, the queen and captain panaka, it looks like the queen's aides and panaka all walk into frame and look for their spots on the floor.



Weird you picked up on that. Just yesterday reading about the DP on phantom really argued with Lucas to have steps in sets. Lucas didn’t want them anywhere especially cos r2 can’t go down steps on camera(he couldn’t in the ot either. He *can* in universe but we just can’t see it as it would take ages given the real world limitations in the real world droid) but the DP insisted it makes and adds for a more natural textured scene. For example the first time we ever meet Anakin he comes bouncing down the steps in watos junkshop. It just adds something totally subliminal but natural to the character and scene. It worked. There’s steps all over the prequels after that.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 333
dimejinky99 wrote:
blueviper wrote:
his "Storytelling language of Star Wars" is pretty good. I like seeing all the styles explained in a few minutes time. I noticed the flashback in TLJ the first time I saw it, and commented to my brother how weird it was to see that in a SW movie.

But man the prequels are bad. That first he shows with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, the queen and captain panaka, it looks like the queen's aides and panaka all walk into frame and look for their spots on the floor.



Weird you picked up on that. Just yesterday reading about the DP on phantom really argued with Lucas to have steps in sets. Lucas didn’t want them anywhere especially cos r2 can’t go down steps on camera(he couldn’t in the ot either. He *can* in universe but we just can’t see it as it would take ages given the real world limitations in the real world droid) but the DP insisted it makes and adds for a more natural textured scene. For example the first time we ever meet Anakin he comes bouncing down the steps in watos junkshop. It just adds something totally subliminal but natural to the character and scene. It worked. There’s steps all over the prequels after that.


That's interesting. I can see how it makes working with R2 easier in a film making sense, but yeah using stairs/steps I can see adds a bit to a scene.

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
Lucas detested the Carbon freezing chamber set in Empire(well that’s coz there was no walls and endless stairs) and the emperors throne room in ROTJ

I’ll leave you to imagine why.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9707
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Heh. I never realized that after BB-8 is full of coins, he rattles when he rolls around.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Sat September 15, 2018 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
Can’t say I noticed that. Good catch B

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
So I ran a poll and kinda surprised by the results. It was unprotected and Over 30 retweeted it and over 5000 saw it with 551 votes. Surprised it wasn’t shitbombed. Maybe they’ve all finally moved on with their lives? Rian takes it with a landslide


_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu September 27, 2018 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 52070
Should have had "other" as an option

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu September 27, 2018 8:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
They’re thexonly two trilogies we know that arexin development though.
You know what other I want but it’s a pipe dream now more than ever after Igers comments on slowing down

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu September 27, 2018 8:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
They’re the only two trilogies we know that are in development though.
You know what other I want but it’s a pipe dream now more than ever after Igers comments on slowing down

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu September 27, 2018 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 333
dimejinky99 wrote:
They’re the only two trilogies we know that are in development though.
You know what other I want but it’s a pipe dream now more than ever after Igers comments on slowing down


Instead of ''other" how about "neither"

:D

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu September 27, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22454
Now I wish I had included both those options. Dammit viper

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu September 27, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 333
dimejinky99 wrote:
Now I wish I had included both those options. Dammit viper


I would be interested to see how many people would pick "other" or "neither".

I have a feeling more people still like SW than what you see online. I think a lot less people share my view (apathy, unfortunately) than who I think share my view (if that makes sense)

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed November 21, 2018 12:39 pm