The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2019 10:42 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Stip did we get your thoughts on Solo?

It’s on Netflix now by the way. For anyone that was holding off

oh is it? I just noticed the other day that Infinity Wars was on there.

So I heard. I don’t have Netflix but several outlets and friends have mentioned it’s on there

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2019 10:49 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

oh is it? I just noticed the other day that Infinity Wars was on there.

So I heard. I don’t have Netflix but several outlets and friends have mentioned it’s on there

It is! Nice.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2019 10:56 pm 

Well what are you waiting for, give it a spin

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2019 11:22 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Well what are you waiting for, give it a spin

I've seen it.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2019 11:44 pm 

Once! Watch it again! :haha:

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 12:32 am 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Once! Watch it again! :haha:

I think my wife wants to see it soon. I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 4:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

blueviper wrote:
You don't get much about Luke from ANH.

-Father betrayed and murdered by Darth Vader
-piloting/bullseye womprats (skills for the Death Star run)
-living with Aunt and Uncle, so we know his parents are gone

Rey (TFA)
-parents left her
-force awakens within her, she doesn't know why
-scavenger
-has technical knowledge of spacecraft from scavenging, seeing Unkar tweak Millennium Falcon)

*shrug*

The first thing we learn is that Luke has a home with his aunt and uncle, his father was a warrior was a Jedi Knight, and a great warrior, and that died in the war. Luke has not been told the details before, but Ben Kenobi knows. As the trilogy moves forward, all is revealed about the past. We can fully understand why Luke is the way he is (good pilot, unruly, lots of dreams, a bit unhappy, reasonably healthy).

Rey has no family, no friends, no history. Yet, she is beautiful, well mannered, smart, strong, caring, funny, perfect teeth and health and gorgeous accent. She is poor, but strong, and ges by easily on her own. She then takes on the evil in the universe, with no second thought.

The two stories are nothing alike, at least not without further explanation and backstory.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:46 am 
Rank This Poster

Anders wrote:
blueviper wrote:

Rey (TFA)
-parents left her
-scavenger
-has technical knowledge of spacecraft from scavenging, seeing Unkar tweak Millennium Falcon)

*shrug*

The first thing we learn is that Luke has a home with his aunt and uncle, his father was a warrior was a Jedi Knight, and a great warrior, and that died in the war. Luke has not been told the details before, but Ben Kenobi knows. As the trilogy moves forward, all is revealed about the past. We can fully understand why Luke is the way he is (good pilot, unruly, lots of dreams, a bit unhappy, reasonably healthy).

Rey has no family, no friends, no history. Yet, she is beautiful, well mannered, smart, strong, caring, funny, perfect teeth and health and gorgeous accent. She is poor, but strong, and ges by easily on her own. She then takes on the evil in the universe, with no second thought.

The two stories are nothing alike, at least not without further explanation and backstory.

Luke is also beautiful, well mannered, smart, strong, caring, funny, and has perfect teeth and health. I never got the impression Rey has no friends. Her history is shown to us through her actions as a scavenger and a fighter with high hopes, it's just not spelled out with expository dialogue.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 8:55 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Leatherhead wrote:
Anders wrote:
blueviper wrote:

Rey (TFA)
-parents left her
-scavenger

*shrug*

Luke is also beautiful, well mannered, smart, strong, caring, funny, and has perfect teeth and health. I never got the impression Rey has no friends. Her history is shown to us through her actions as a scavenger and a fighter with high hopes, it's just not spelled out with expository dialogue.

There is a vast difference between growing up in a home, and going to school, and living out in a desert on your own (teeth and health). While Mark Hamill was handsome, Luke was not the beautiful and well mannered type. He was more of a obnoxious and irritated teen, with good potential for the future. A good pilot, and a reluctant help at the farm.

It's amazing that you guys see Luke from the OT and Rey from the ST as so similar. Rey lacks a lot of what made Luke's story make sense.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 9:47 am 

Couldn’t disagree more. Reys first intro is complete show don’t tell.
We see she’s self sufficient, able to take care of herself in several ways, capable and self reliant. Still seems to either work for Unkar or maybe even is still one of his slaves, the quick shot of her pausing while cleaning the part to look at a departing space craft, and at a very elderly Alien woman, and one of the handlers banging her table and jabbering at her to keep working. There’s as much in that opening 15 minutes of Reys story as there is with Luke’s, it’s just not as spelled out literally as his story is but it’s all there. She’s counting the days her family have gone hoping for their return, he’s counting down the days to when he can leave. Their two intros/backstorys are almost opposites but here is no less detailed than his. It’s just told differently.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 10:15 am 
The worst

dimejinky99 wrote:

It was disappointing simply by virtue of being fine. Enjoyed chewie, the actor playing Han was fine, if a little stiff. Glover was great as lando. I liked the droid, but you simply can’t introduce droid politics as a joke since it upends so much of how the universe was structured. Loved Dryden Voss. Didn’t care for the dearth maul bit. Really don’t care for Emilia Clarke (don’t like her on GoT) either

Better than the prequels, but below everything else. B- or C+ if I was gonna grade it.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 10:49 am 

stip wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

It was disappointing simply by virtue of being fine. Enjoyed chewie, the actor playing Han was fine, if a little stiff. Glover was great as lando. I liked the droid, but you simply can’t introduce droid politics as a joke since it upends so much of how the universe was structured. Loved Dryden Voss. Didn’t care for the dearth maul bit. Really don’t care for Emilia Clarke (don’t like her on GoT) either

Better than the prequels, but below everything else. B- or C+ if I was gonna grade it.

Funny you mention that. They’re always planting seeds. The droid revolt is now leading into a book and comic and possibly the Mandalorian tv series, something to do with IG88 and it’s basically a droid crime gang assassins for hire etc.
I have zero interest.

Yeah it’s not exactly essential viewing but I think it’s great fun. The most fun Star Wars since a new hope. They captured that spirit of adventure really well.
Hope we get more of Enfys Nest and hopefully some sort of conclusion or tie into crimson dawn / Maul / Han and Chewie going to Jabba. But it’ll probably be in comics or books now given the film didn’t do Star Wars numbers. Think it’s a shame.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 11:59 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

dimejinky99 wrote:
Couldn’t disagree more. Reys first intro is complete show don’t tell.
We see she’s self sufficient, able to take care of herself in several ways, capable and self reliant. Still seems to either work for Unkar or maybe even is still one of his slaves, the quick shot of her pausing while cleaning the part to look at a departing space craft, and at a very elderly Alien woman, and one of the handlers banging her table and jabbering at her to keep working. There’s as much in that opening 15 minutes of Reys story as there is with Luke’s, it’s just not as spelled out literally as his story is but it’s all there. She’s counting the days her family have gone hoping for their return, he’s counting down the days to when he can leave. Their two intros/backstorys are almost opposites but here is no less detailed than his. It’s just told differently.

100% this. We learn loads about Rey in her opening scenes. The lack of expository dialogue makes it even better, IMO. We're just watching her do her thing, its a lovely opening.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 3:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im sure they will be more answers and backstory in the next film i agree that we know things about Rey, but if we kinda need to know how can she be so fucking powerful with the force.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 3:30 pm 

The force chose her and awakened in her. There’s a whole film about it
It’s pretty much as simple as that

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 3:51 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:
The force chose her and awakened in her. There’s a whole film about it
It’s pretty much as simple as that

cmon dime. She goes from a kid in the desert to full blown jedi in the same day. And we got tons of other films with jedi masters trying to learn more about the force...how can she turned into a superhero? We need that explanation.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 4:46 pm 

Let’s not do that all again but Luke’s journey is exactly the same. Zero to hero in no time at all. Hears about the force one day and has mastery enough to use it to blow up the Death Star the next day.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 4:48 pm 

-*my favourite thinking on this is that Kenobi was using the force through him and guiding him to help make the shot. He alluded to it in Empire when he says he can’t help him if he faces Vader too early.

We don’t know he hasn’t been guiding Rey too and using it through her.
Remember we do hear him speak to her in her force vision.

He could yet be a huge part of her story.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 4:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
Let’s not do that all again but Luke’s journey is exactly the same. Zero to hero in no time at all. Hears about the force one day and has mastery enough to use it to blow up the Death Star the next day.

Luke goes through training, and it takes 4-5 years before facing Vader in ANH. Still he is defeated.

Yes, he does shoot the shot that destroys the Death Star, in a mix of the force, Kenobi and being a highly skilled pilot. It is not on par with how Rey succeeds, and her lack of training.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:00 pm 
The Master

To be fair, Rey "beats" Kylo after he's been shot in the stomach. Not exactly facing each other on equal footing there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars