The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:30 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Jesus. You clearly missed the point about luke. It’s not how depression works. You don’t tell your family and friends ok I’m depressed and suicidal I’ll be over here.’

And for the last Fucking time. He didn’t leave a map to where he was. Lor San tekka found a map to the first Jedi temple. That’s the last place they knew luke was looking for. So they took a chance going to see was he there.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:34 pm 

This is why these videos are total bullshit tree. They can’t even do basic research. In some cases it seems they didn’t even see the film. That and the fact their made by idiots living in their parents basement and don’t have much human contact.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:46 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Jesus. You clearly missed the point about luke. It’s not how depression works. You don’t tell your family and friends ok I’m depressed and suicidal I’ll be over here.’

And for the last Fucking time. He didn’t leave a map to where he was. Lor San tekka found a map to the first Jedi temple. That’s the last place they knew luke was looking for. So they took a chance going to see was he there.
dimejinky99 wrote:
This is why these videos are total bullshit tree. They can’t even do basic research. In some cases it seems they didn’t even see the film. That and the fact their made by idiots living in their parents basement and don’t have much human contact.
Ideas hold water or don't despite who speaks them.

About Luke, it just doesn't make sense how he got that way. He's prone to depression suddenly? Well, OK... but it isn't justified in the story. It could have gone in many more interesting/justifiable directions. About the map, OK. That's a good point. I didn't catch that.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Luke being depressed makes so much fucking sense man.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:50 pm 

To be honest. Anyone making that completely idiotic argument about luke simply leaves me doubting they even watched the film. It’s right there. He explains it at length. We get three versions of the event that caused it *in the film*. Three!!!

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:53 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Luke being depressed makes so much fucking sense man.
How? He was all about hope in every movie. The symbol of hope for the universe. A New Hope. There was no explanation of what led him to change. That one incident with Ben wouldn't have destroyed Luke. I heard that Mark Hamill had to come up with his own story line in which he had a son that accidentally killed himself with his lightsaber and his wife died somehow... that could've worked in the movie.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:55 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
To be honest. Anyone making that completely idiotic argument about luke simply leaves me doubting they even watched the film. It’s right there. He explains it at length. We get three versions of the event that caused it *in the film*. Three!!!
Not good enough. It also is very un-Luke to be even considering killing Ben like that. So he saw some conflict? At least try to get it out of him. It's obvious there's some good in there, too. This is the guy that wouldn't give up and turned the most evil man in the galaxy to the good side in the OT.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:59 pm 

You want wish fulfilment. You want superman. It would have been so totally boring had luke turned up and been superhero Jedi. Redundant storytelling.

We had LV shouting and complaining at us FOR YEARS about Han being exactly the same character as he was when we last saw him 30 years ago. (He was wrong). Now we have people demanding Luke be exactly the luke we had.

Obi wan is radically different in a new hope than Obi wan in the prequels. Yoda is an entirely different character in empire than he was in the prequels.

People change. You may not like it but it happens. Because it doesn’t meet your personal wishlist is the problem. Not the characters story and what he’s becone. At all.

Ps Hamill wanted luke to go dark side at one point. You wouldn’t have liked that either so don’t lie.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:01 pm 

tree_ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Not good enough. It also is very un-Luke to be even considering killing Ben like that. So he saw some conflict? At least try to get it out of him. It's obvious there's some good in there, too. This is the guy that wouldn't give up and turned the most evil man in the galaxy to the good side in the OT.

This was the man who was a cunt hair away from turning to the dark side and falling neatly into the emperors hand. Please do some reading up on it all Tree. It sounds like the entire point of Luke in the ot and the st have sailed above your head at a great height

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:03 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
You want wish fulfilment. You want superman. It would have been so totally boring had luke turned up and been superhero Jedi. Redundant storytelling.

We had LV shouting and complaining at us FOR YEARS about Han being exactly the same character as he was when we last saw him 30 years ago. (He was wrong). Now we have people demanding Luke be exactly the luke we had.

Obi wan is radically different in a new hope than Obi wan in the prequels. Yoda is an entirely different character in empire than he was in the prequels.

People change. You may not like it but it happens. Because it doesn’t meet your personal wishlist is the problem. Not the characters story and what he’s becone. At all.

Ps Hamill wanted luke to go dark side at one point. You wouldn’t have liked that either so don’t lie.

No, dude, that's not what I want. I want a cohesive story-line. Something that makes sense and is entertaining. Not baffling/annoying.

If a character has changed, the audience needs an explanation, which would also make for a great story. Why skip an explanation of how one of the most iconic characters of all time has lost hope, his greatest quality?

Obi wan is older and more mature. He hasn't lost all qualities that made him who he was. Same as Yoda.

My only 'wishlist', as you call it, is for a good story, something that actually makes sense.

I would have loved him going dark, as long as they explain why. I'd love to have seen Luke's kid accidentally kill himself with Luke's lightsaber.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:06 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

This was the man who was a cunt hair away from turning to the dark side and falling neatly into the emperors hand. Please do some reading up on it all Tree. It sounds like the entire point of Luke in the ot and the st have sailed above your head at a great height
He rose above temptation, holding tightly to his Hope, his good qualities, good prevailing over darkness, completing the hero's journey. He should be good unless you can really justify him turning dark or complacent.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:10 pm 

I have a horrible feeling feeling this will end up happening cos bastards like you complaining about Luke’s metal state not being justified enough. Jesus Christ

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:11 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

No, dude, that's not what I want. I want a cohesive story-line. Something that makes sense and is entertaining. Not baffling/annoying.

If a character has changed, the audience needs an explanation, which would also make for a great story. Why skip an explanation of how one of the most iconic characters of all time has lost hope, his greatest quality?

Obi wan is older and more mature. He hasn't lost all qualities that made him who he was. Same as Yoda.

My only 'wishlist', as you call it, is for a good story, something that actually makes sense.

I would have loved him going dark, as long as they explain why. I'd love to have seen Luke's kid accidentally kill himself with Luke's lightsaber.

It is explained multiple times in the film!

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:13 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Dude, Luke is an iconic character. He represents hope. If he's gonna change, we need to know why/how. That incident with Ben isn't enough, and as I said earlier, it wasn't even like Luke to threaten to kill his nephew to begin with. His mental state at that point needs explained, also. This would have made for a great movie in of itself.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:15 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Dude, Luke is an iconic character. He represents hope. If he's gonna change, we need to know why/how. That incident with Ben isn't enough, and as I said earlier, it wasn't even like Luke to threaten to kill his nephew to begin with. His mental state at that point needs explained, also. This would have made for a great movie in of itself.

Why isn't it enough? I would say training your nephew and him turning against you and murdering most of your students would be a pretty traumatic event.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:17 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Why isn't it enough? I would say training your nephew and him turning against you and murdering most of your students would be a pretty traumatic event.
Luke's seen this kind of thing before and he rose above it. Also, as I said, why did he threaten to kill him to begin with? If I were Ben I might've reacted the same way. Unexplained.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:19 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yikes

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
The Master

I'm now convinced _tree didn't watch the movie.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Zoinks

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 3:21 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm now convinced _tree didn't watch the movie.
I've seen it and all the other ones. #notmyluke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars