The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:
-*my favourite thinking on this is that Kenobi was using the force through him and guiding him to help make the shot. He alluded to it in Empire when he says he can’t help him if he faces Vader too early.

We don’t know he hasn’t been guiding Rey too and using it through her.
Remember we do hear him speak to her in her force vision.

He could yet be a huge part of her story.

Well, if they explain that or give us another thing in the next movie, fine by me. So far we have a girl who learns about the force and in the very same day learns how to do everything and be the best one around.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:03 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Monkey_Driven wrote:
To be fair, Rey "beats" Kylo after he's been shot in the stomach. Not exactly facing each other on equal footing there.

Plus he’s not trying to hurt her. He’s trying to subdue her and capture her. He’s been ordered to bring her to Snoke.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:05 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Let’s not do that all again but Luke’s journey is exactly the same. Zero to hero in no time at all. Hears about the force one day and has mastery enough to use it to blow up the Death Star the next day.

Luke goes through training, and it takes 4-5 years before facing Vader in ANH. Still he is defeated.

Yes, he does shoot the shot that destroys the Death Star, in a mix of the force, Kenobi and being a highly skilled pilot. It is not on par with how Rey succeeds, and her lack of training.

What training did Luke get before blowing up the death star? a couple lightsaber training's on the falcon? at best?

C'mon. Your disliking of the new trilogy clouds your judgement young jedi.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:05 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
-*my favourite thinking on this is that Kenobi was using the force through him and guiding him to help make the shot. He alluded to it in Empire when he says he can’t help him if he faces Vader too early.

Well, if they explain that or give us another thing in the next movie, fine by me. So far we have a girl who learns about the force and in the very same day learns how to do everything and be the best one around.

They’ve already explained this though. He pried his way into her mind but in so doing she also got into his. They’re two parts of a whole and she absorbed a lot of his understanding of the force and it’s abilities and skills

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:06 pm 
The Master

Rey is obviously very powerful. More powerful off the bat than skywalker was for sure. But i have a feeling we will get some sort of understanding as to why by the end of 9. But the stories are not that dissimilar

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:06 pm 

Strat wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Let’s not do that all again but Luke’s journey is exactly the same. Zero to hero in no time at all. Hears about the force one day and has mastery enough to use it to blow up the Death Star the next day.

Luke goes through training, and it takes 4-5 years before facing Vader in ANH. Still he is defeated.

Yes, he does shoot the shot that destroys the Death Star, in a mix of the force, Kenobi and being a highly skilled pilot. It is not on par with how Rey succeeds, and her lack of training.

What training did Luke get before blowing up the death star? a couple lightsaber training's on the falcon? at best?

Was just about to ask that

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:20 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

They’ve already explained this though. He pried his way into her mind but in so doing she also got into his. They’re two parts of a whole and she absorbed a lot of his understanding of the force and it’s abilities and skills

Still its pretty weird to learn and do all that in ONE DAY.
I still think they will explain better why rey does all this in the next chapter.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Already answered this: «he does shoot the shot that destroys the Death Star, in a mix of the force, Kenobi and being a highly skilled pilot. It is not on par with how Rey succeeds, and her lack of training.»

I think A New Hope lasts about a week from start to finish, similar to The Force Awakens. In it, Luke does a little training, and no Jedi stuff, apart from hitting the fantastic shot after Kenobi spoke to him. It is explained in the movie that Luke is the finest pilot on Tatooine. ESB is three years later. TLJ is the same week as TFA.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:25 pm 

I sometimes wonder am I watching different films than other people. Really :haha:

She doesn’t do anything with the force apart from a mind trick. That’s it. It’s wll she’s ever heard about Jedi apart from they can move things with their minds. That’s all

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Remember in ESB, three years after the Battle of Yavin, Luke could hardly get a light sabre out of the ice, to kill the beast. So weak.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:30 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
I sometimes wonder am I watching different films than other people. Really :haha:

She doesn’t do anything with the force apart from a mind trick. That’s it. It’s wll she’s ever heard about Jedi apart from they can move things with their minds. That’s all

On top of it...they already lay out that rey is a skilled fighter as she kicks everyone ass. how did she learn it? I dont know, fending for herself for years. Same way Luke learned to be a great pilot, shooting womp rats during his lonely life in the desert.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:56 pm 

Strat wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

On top of it...they already lay out that rey is a skilled fighter as she kicks everyone ass. how did she learn it? I dont know, fending for herself for years. Same way Luke learned to be a great pilot, shooting womp rats during his lonely life in the desert.

Exactly.
That’s not allowed though and primarily cos it’s a girl doing it and as such that level of power and ability needs an explanation.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 5:59 pm 

*never once have heard anyone demand how the 9 year old brat can podrace. We know he’s the chosen one, but how is he the chosen one? Says who? Who made him powerful!?

but let’s not

It couldn’t possibly just be Rey is the next chosen one.. could it??

Ye gads

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Please. Her gender has nothing to do with it, only poor storytelling.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, nobody mention that dime what a cheap trick

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:05 pm 

Has nobody here watched TFA with JJs commentary on?
Give it a spin. Far more insightful than Rians for TLJ but it answers a lot of these things that are obvious but seem to confuse people or give them hang ups

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:28 pm 

Anders wrote:
Please. Her gender has nothing to do with it, only poor storytelling.

Oh come on. There are tons of far more interesting and intriguing things in the gffa that are never explained and it should always be that way. We don’t need everything spoon fed to us.
You explain it all you take away the magic of it. They’ve explained or sailed to close to on a few things such as in the mortis arc in clone wars. And most recently kind of suggesting that palpatine is responsible for Anakins birth. Suggested it but didn’t outright say it.
You ruin these things when You confirm them. It takes the fun and mystery away.
It’s been part of Star Wars since day one. I hope that never changes.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:30 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:

She used the force at the beginning to make her bread appear in that pot.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:34 pm 

blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

:haha:
How did she get so big eating food of this kind?

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 6:37 pm 
The worst

blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I did laugh

At some point this week I'll post a bit more about Rey's introduction. But no time today

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars