The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2019 8:38 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Benicio is probably my least favourite thing about this film.

Just can’t warm to his performance at all. An astounding actor. And he went with that?

My mind went immediately to Thrawn when his casting was announced. Alas...

PostPosted: Mon December 30, 2019 7:49 pm 
Production Police

New one!

PostPosted: Mon December 30, 2019 8:40 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Classic b

PostPosted: Mon January 06, 2020 11:32 am 

Recorded live in front of a "studio audience" at the National Association of Broadcaster's convention, editor Bob Ducsay (The Mummy, Looper, Knives Out) discusses his work on director Rian Johnson's entry into the Skywalker saga, Episode VIII - The Last Jedi. Bob details the pre-viz process from the 'Battle on Crait' scene, as well as how post-viz was a powerful weapon in his editorial arsenal. Bob also walks the audience through the "Snoke's Throne Room" scene and describes how an editor utilizes "suspense

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/s ... 0461672127

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 1:21 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I said last year -- and I stand by it -- that TLJ will be remembered as the most important/crucial SW film. But I'm totally fine with the idea that RoS will be the most fun/rewatchable.

If they took out the whole code breaker mission, the story doesn’t change aside from the First Order knowing to scan for the escape vessels, and it would be perfect

This just made me realize ... were Finn and Rose even successful? Was that a completely pointless story line? Jesus, this trilogy really did fuck over Finn.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 1:30 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

B wrote:
Mecca wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I said last year -- and I stand by it -- that TLJ will be remembered as the most important/crucial SW film. But I'm totally fine with the idea that RoS will be the most fun/rewatchable.

If they took out the whole code breaker mission, the story doesn’t change aside from the First Order knowing to scan for the escape vessels, and it would be perfect

This just made me realize ... were Finn and Rose even successful? Was that a completely pointless story line? Jesus, this trilogy really did fuck over Finn.

Since failure is a major theme in this film, and Canto Bight was a means to show the avarice and excess of the ruling class profiting off the war (as well as the importance of folk legend), it wasn't "pointless."

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 2:53 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Since failure is a major theme in this film, and Canto Bight was a means to show the avarice and excess of the ruling class profiting off the war (as well as the importance of folk legend), it wasn't "pointless."

Right. Its inclusion is necessary, it's the execution that didn't make the mark.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 2:55 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Right. Its inclusion is necessary, it's the execution that didn't make the mark.

Hard to argue with that.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 7:43 pm 
slower than 82% of US

dimejinky99 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Hard to argue with that.

Agreed, 100%

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 8:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

OK then.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 9:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No one was successful in TLJ. Arguably the people that achieved the most, died while doing so, or right after.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 10:18 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
No one was successful in TLJ.

Especially Rian Johnson amirite

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 10:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Anders wrote:
No one was successful in TLJ.

Especially Rian Johnson amirite

:haha:

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 10:25 pm 

:haha:

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2020 10:40 pm 

Terry Gilliam interviewing Rian Johnson

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/t ... 0385969855

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/t ... 0385969772

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2020 2:12 pm 

This is pretty cool

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2020 4:10 pm 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
B wrote:
Mecca wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

it is also the journey that solidified Finn’s self understanding as a rebel - and their failure was also a part of poe’s arc

the good guys lost by following their selfish/self-important instincts. this is all really important stuff thematically

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2020 10:12 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I'd bet my life that originally Leia was the one meant to sacrifice herself at the end in this movie, but at some point it was decided (probably by higher ups) to keep her alive for the third movie, so they put her in a coma and gave her story to the new character Holdo. Holdo is completely redundant and there is no time to get to know or care about this character (and what we do know of her isn't likable in the slightest), so her sacrifice isn't felt at all. It's one of the biggest problems.

I also have a theory that this was actually an independent sci-fi script that was shoehorned into the Star Wars universe, because the plot is very un-Star Wars. They had to introduce so many new rules to the universe to make this story fit.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon January 20, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2020 10:18 pm 

Wtf drugs is Burt actually on and can someone cut him off? Front the drugs and whatever subreddit he gets this bullshit from?

Please? For his own good

PostPosted: Sun January 19, 2020 10:22 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I knew you'd like that one.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600, 601 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars