The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi -spoilers start 3
PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:15 pm 
The worst

given how divisive this movie seems to be (it got great reviews and had an A cinescore, but is in the 50s on the audience RT meter) I wonder what kind of legs it will have?

The audience mixed reaction certainly validates JJ Abrams approach

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:24 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
given how divisive this movie seems to be (it got great reviews and had an A cinescore, but is in the 50s on the audience RT meter) I wonder what kind of legs it will have?

The legacy of this movie is entirely dependent on how IX is handled and received.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:25 pm 
The worst

not entirely, but yeah, that will be a huge part of it. I was thinking more box office legs. I love what Johnson did here, and don't want to see Lucasfilm get cold feet

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:26 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

stip wrote:

There’s a DC thing going on. The most hardcore sw fans that are hating it seem to be hitting RT with negative reviews to take it down.

I’m not sure who even uses RT. It’s totally pointless. And even if you do use it to give you an idea of a films quality it’s a flawed method Especially when it is so easily manipulated.

The critics rating and user rating are at total odds. Not unusual but it’s clearly being hit by the crazies to take it down. Some of the reviews are telling.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:33 pm 
Major Dude

Why would the First Order choose to spend the entire movie chasing the Resistance ships at what must be ‘normal speed’, when at least ONE Star Destroyer could have jumped AHEAD of the Resistance ships and trapped them in between?

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:42 pm 
The worst

wease wrote:
Why would the First Order choose to spend the entire movie chasing the Resistance ships at what must be ‘normal speed’, when at least ONE Star Destroyer could have jumped AHEAD of the Resistance ships and trapped them in between?

I don't know that you can use light speed with that kind of precision. you wouldn't be aiming at a stable target and you'd need to make two jumps to get ahead of them (and the ships could change course, etc).

I think it's fairly clear that Hux knows he has them and is enjoying being a dick and slowly picking them off/torturing them. I don't think Tarkin would have toyed with them, but it's totally within Hux's character

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:43 pm 
The worst

Finn's 'they really hate that ship' line with the falcon joins the fight on Crait is a favorite

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:45 pm 
The worst

I assumed Luke might come back as a force ghost for a little scene in episode VIX, but I wonder if he'll have a bigger part with Carrie Fisher's death - With Rey or Kylo or both

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:48 pm 

When the falcon drops rey off in the middle of the first order fleet, how does rey and chewie know where they are/ how to get there?

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:54 pm 

The way it’s been set up, we very likely could finally see Anakin appearing to Kylo.

Also that final look him and Rey share.. in the force yet Snoke is no longer creating the bridge between them.

That presumably means they’re linked now. Wonder if or how that will be brought in for 9

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
B wrote:
I'm kinda curious what would happen if I locked dime out of the Star Wars forum for a couple of days.

the forum wouldnt die but it would be pathetic and id probably thank you for curing my addiction to this forums relentless stupidity

You are the Rey of this forum. Just when we thought you might be lured to the dark side, you went straight back to being full of love and praise for the sequels. One can only wonder what would happen without you.

why is that island a force amplifier? how come luke seems able to turn off his abilities etc etc

I don't know. The movie was terrible at giving meaningful answers, insisting instead on tearing down the past.

Skellig Michael looked amazing as Ahch-To, and with the scene stealing Mark Hamill in focus, it was a highlight of the movie for me. I didn't really laugh at the humor here, but the teaching scenes were good. Yoda appearing was cool as well, though I'm not crazy about burning old books and trees.

The most confusing part was the black hole. Reminded me of some scenes from Harry Potter.

its luke in the cave on dagobah..its yoda on that weird planet ....all three end up facing themselves and their own problems and hubris.

reys scene out of the three is the best one of all these..

Oh come, on. Luke facing Darth Vader and then seeing his face in the mask? That's the best among the three.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:01 pm 

Coach wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
B wrote:
I'm kinda curious what would happen if I locked dime out of the Star Wars forum for a couple of days.

the forum wouldnt die but it would be pathetic and id probably thank you for curing my addiction to this forums relentless stupidity

You are the Rey of this forum. Just when we thought you might be lured to the dark side, you went straight back to being full of love and praise for the sequels. One can only wonder what would happen without you.

why is that island a force amplifier? how come luke seems able to turn off his abilities etc etc

I don't know. The movie was terrible at giving meaningful answers, insisting instead on tearing down the past.

Skellig Michael looked amazing as Ahch-To, and with the scene stealing Mark Hamill in focus, it was a highlight of the movie for me. I didn't really laugh at the humor here, but the teaching scenes were good. Yoda appearing was cool as well, though I'm not crazy about burning old books and trees.

The most confusing part was the black hole. Reminded me of some scenes from Harry Potter.

its luke in the cave on dagobah..its yoda on that weird planet ....all three end up facing themselves and their own problems and hubris.

reys scene out of the three is the best one of all these..

Oh come, on. Luke facing Darth Vader and then seeing his face in the mask? That's the best among the three.

Yeah ok I guess it is.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:04 pm 

So was luke about to pass into the force at the end of TFA and Rey interrupted him?
Is this why he’s so cranky with her the whole time? He does say I came here to die.
Every time he wears the white robes in TLJ he’s about to do something extreme. And in the end, does, by passing into the force.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:06 pm 

Where’s Joey. Miss him I do.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:08 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
So was luke about to pass into the force at the end of TFA and Rey interrupted him?
Is this why he’s so cranky with her the whole time? He does say I came here to die.
Every time he wears the white robes in TLJ he’s about to do something extreme. And in the end, does, by passing into the force.

Any thoughts?

I think he learned something from Rey that helped me connect to the Force and pass into it prior to a natural death. Maybe he needed that confrontation with Kylo Ren first.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:16 pm 

MAybe yeah.

In his last scene he gives a little smile at the twin suns just before he fades.

Man that whole scene. Just so brilliant. Nobody wants him to die but nobody can argue that was perfect.

I don’t think Ahch to has twin suns. I think he’s seeing tatooine in his mind, home , and it’s the first place he’s going to when he passes through.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
wease wrote:

I don't know that you can use light speed with that kind of precision. you wouldn't be aiming at a stable target and you'd need to make two jumps to get ahead of them (and the ships could change course, etc).

If you can't use light speed with that kind of precision, how come the rebellion managed to do just that to the destroy the destroyer Finn was on?

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

blueviper wrote:
After seeing TLJ this morning...

RIP Star Wars (in my eyes)

I think I’ve just realized SW isn’t for me anymore.

Maybe I need to see the movie again, but this is kinda how I think I feel. When it comes down to it, I love 3 of the movies, kinda like 2 of them, don’t like 3 of them, and undecided about 1.

Star Wars is kinda like my feelings towards Pearl Jam lately.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
wease wrote:

If you can't use light speed with that kind of precision, how come the rebellion managed to do just that to the destroy the destroyer Finn was on?

because she used it to destroy the ship she was on to kill herself and wreck the first order fleet. that wasnt precision, and why would the first order sanction that kind of collateral damage when victory is inevitable

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
stip wrote:

I’m not sure who even uses RT. It’s totally pointless. And even if you do use it to give you an idea of a films quality it’s a flawed method Especially when it is so easily manipulated.
The critics rating and user rating are at total odds. Not unusual but it’s clearly being hit by the crazies to take it down. Some of the reviews are telling.

The RT user rating is plummeting, the IMDB rating is falling, the IMDB user reviews are overwhelmingly negative, the reddit TLJ forum is overwhelmingly negative, more negative reactions are appearing here. Still there are hints here and there that if you don't like the movie you are "crazy" or "don't get it". It's divisive, that's fine. That's part of the fun. You are not stupid if you don't like the movie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars