The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 1:35 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
Disney haven’t stepped in to stop this fundraising campaign to remake the film. Yet.

This is heartbreaking. Fandom has learned nothing. Jake Lloyd and Ahmed best have been on the end of years of abuse since the prequels. This though puts it in perspective

This is terrible. It does seem like that "fandom" (in general, not specifically Star Wars, but any franchise) these days expect "input" into films. Like since they support and follow the films, buy the merchandise, etc, that they have some say in how the stories progress. And they take it to a new level when things don't go their way.

And I think the internet makes it easier to voice these "frustrations" (I use that loosely because they are just movies, get over it) and can directly comment to directors, producers and actors.

It seems like back when franchises were first forming, filmmakers really didn't see the audiences' personal reactions like they do now. It was reviews in a newspaper and box office receipts.

Now, we have groups wanting to remake The Last Jedi (with Stip buying a parody poster from an anti-remake artist), and someone creating a Declaration of Independence type thing to Lucasfilm or something.

PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 1:50 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

very good (and respectful) video on interpretative communities and how that impacts your perception of TLJ.

At about 8:30 there is also a really fantastic summation of Luke's symbolic arc in the movie that sums it all up far better than I ever could.

This is outstanding.

Ok, so this video isn't bad. The guy explains things very well and it makes a lot of sense. It actually makes TLJ sound like a better movie than it is (my opinion.)

It's just such a boring movie. And it's not that I need the blockbuster "excitement" of the current types of action films. I find these films boring too (when I actually get around to seeing them.)

There's something missing from TLJ (and I've noticed in TFA). Magic? Fun? Maybe it's something that I can't grasp anymore because I already experienced it before, and it can never happen that way again.

Like dinosaurs in the first Jurassic Park. They first time you see the T-Rex scene, and an actually T-Rex body move in the frame and you wonder how the heck they did that? And then you learn and the technique is used in every movie nowadays, and it's just not the same.

PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 9:25 pm 
The Master

blueviper wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

very good (and respectful) video on interpretative communities and how that impacts your perception of TLJ.

At about 8:30 there is also a really fantastic summation of Luke's symbolic arc in the movie that sums it all up far better than I ever could.

This is outstanding.

Ok, so this video isn't bad. The guy explains things very well and it makes a lot of sense. It actually makes TLJ sound like a better movie than it is (my opinion.)

It's just such a boring movie. And it's not that I need the blockbuster "excitement" of the current types of action films. I find these films boring too (when I actually get around to seeing them.)

There's something missing from TLJ (and I've noticed in TFA). Magic? Fun? Maybe it's something that I can't grasp anymore because I already experienced it before, and it can never happen that way again.

Like dinosaurs in the first Jurassic Park. They first time you see the T-Rex scene, and an actually T-Rex body move in the frame and you wonder how the heck they did that? And then you learn and the technique is used in every movie nowadays, and it's just not the same.

I think you just described getting old.

PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 9:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:

:lol:

Boy howdy

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 3:00 pm 
Future Drummer

Monkey_Driven wrote:
blueviper wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

This is outstanding.

Dang, I thought I had a few more years until that time. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 3:21 pm 
The Master

blueviper wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
blueviper wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

This is outstanding.

Dang, I thought I had a few more years until that time. :cry:

I'm sorry. Might as well just pack it in.

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 3:23 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Rian Johnson mentioned Chris McQuarrie on twitter a writer and director to watch. McQuarrie then gets attacked by thousands of bots and trolls.
McQuarrie went on record saying no way now would be ever do a Star Wars movie and these toxic fans (they’re bots, Chris) are driving all directors and writers away form ever wanting to go near it.
James mangold and James Gunn have also come out swinging

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 3:31 pm 

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 3:45 pm 
The Master

Disney should have expected a little bit of this. People love the Marvel movies because it is basically the same movie over and over again. If you give directors the freedom to make the movie they want to make it opens the doors for divissiveness. They need to hold their ground and not cave.

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 3:55 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Everything went to hell when Comic Con turned a giant massive place for fans to decide if they like what the studios are showing.
Fuck the fans.

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 5:30 pm 
The worst

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Disney should have expected a little bit of this. People love the Marvel movies because it is basically the same movie over and over again. If you give directors the freedom to make the movie they want to make it opens the doors for divissiveness. They need to hold their ground and not cave.

well Disney, to their credit (so far) has backed Johnson and not walked away from the commitment to a new trilogy. And they offered him Episode IX as well.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 6:13 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Everything went to hell when Comic Con turned a giant massive place for fans to decide if they like what the studios are showing.
Fuck the fans.

In a lot of ways, yes. F the fans.

PostPosted: Fri July 06, 2018 6:34 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Keri Russell is onboard for the next movie.

Ill kick anyone´s teeth if they mess with her like they did with Rose.

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Keri Russell is onboard for the next movie.

Ill kick anyone´s teeth if they mess with her like they did with Rose.

A) After watching 3 and half seasons of The Americans, I'm certain Keri will kick their teeth in on her own. :lol:

B) KERI RUSSELL IS GOING TO BE IN A FUCKING STAR WAR?????!!!!!!!! IS THAT TRUE???!!! IS THAT REALLY REAL????!!!! OH MY GOD I HOPE THIS IS REAL BECAUSE I GODDAMN LOVE KERI RUSSELL!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:04 pm 

AND here’s the problem. It was a rumour. Posted by variety. And no factual basis.
Variety then doubled down with a different article about fandoms response to their initial article

So basically?
Fucking clickbait. Until we see her onscreen

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I just read the Variety article. They clearly say that a "source" tells them that Russell is "in talks" to join the cast. It's clear that it's not an official announcement yet.

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm just now hearing about all of this. How many people are already speculating that she's playing Rey's mom? Like... is it everybody yet?

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:11 pm 

Are we really having that chat? Look at VGs initial post. She’s on board. In talks isnt On board. That’s what these articles are designed to do. Post any bullshit just for click revenue.

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:11 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm just now hearing about all of this. How many people are already speculating that she's playing Rey's mom? Like... is it everybody yet?

Everybody.

Except us over here that are sure she’s gonna be Ahsoka.

PostPosted: Sat July 07, 2018 3:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

SHE IS SHOOTING SCENES ALREADY.

REY´S MOM AND SNOKE´S MISTRESS.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars