The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi -spoilers start 3
PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 9:16 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
You’d have to be about 5 years old to find that funny.

Oh..wait

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 7:52 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Just buzzin with you :)

If anyone’s interested there’s a link to get the whole soundtrack here. Usually the retail version doesn’t have the entire score so Disney make it available online.

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/01/star-wars-last-jedi-full-soundtrack-now-available/

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 11:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
I was just curious so I checked audience (rather than critic) scores on a few aggregators. The numbers in parentheses is the number of votes. Cinescore is an industry site that does exit movie surveying, so it's not an online poll and subject to more rigorous demographic controls (but of course just captures one moment in time)

IMDB
Force Awakens 8.0 (717,000)
Rogue One 7.8 (397,000)
Last Jedi 7.6 (263,000)

Metacritic
Force Awakens 6.9 (6500)
Rogue One 7.6 (2600)
Last Jedi 4.6 (5500)

Cinescore
Force Awakens A
Rogue One A
Last Jedi A

Rotten Tomatoes
Force Awakens 88% (225,000)
Rogue One 87% (98,000)
Last Jedi 50% (168,00)

We see that the metacritic score is low, but that's also a very small sample size compared to what we see elsewhere. The Cinescore score is the only controlled data, and that's constant across all three movies. There is a huge drop off on RT, but what is kind of striking about that score is how many votes it has in such a short period of time (almost 1.5 times as many as rouge one and closing in on FA after only three weeks in theaters). That does point to some unusual behavior amongst users.

By far and away the largest sample is found on IMDB, and while it scored the lowest of the three in terms of audience reaction (and has the fewest votes,not surprising given how little it's been out) the three movies are all pretty close together, and there is by far the largest sample size on IMDB.

I am a bit skeptical of that RT number, especially with some of the decent reporting that has reason to believe that number is the product of a particular campaign (because the RT scores are used as short hand for quality more than what you find on IMDB). If that number was legit you'd expect to see a greater disparity between TLJ and the other movies on IMDB.

Good data. I believe the IMDB score will drop to 7,5 soon, as all indicators show that. Revenge Of The Sith has Arithmetic mean = 7.6 Median = 8 while for TLJ it's Arithmetic mean = 7.2 Median = 8. The user score among men is 7,5 in total and 7,4 for adults. The same male score for Revenge is 7,6 in total and 7,5 for adults.

TLJ down to 7,5 now. Episode 1 is 6.5 and Episode 2 is 6.6, so still far above those.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 2:12 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Watched this again yesterday with the wife and kids - feel pretty much the same about it all

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 2:16 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I can't believe we are tracking IMDb user scores.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 2:36 am 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
I can't believe we are tracking IMDb user scores.

Yeah, that's a thing now.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 8:08 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I've done that since about 2003. Very interesting. Love imdb.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 8:13 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

IMDb is very useful but their active user community is among the worst on any website. Their ratings are awful

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 8:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
IMDb is very useful but their active user community is among the worst on any website. Their ratings are awful

I would agree that the forums for new movies used to be awful before they removed them. But it's also a shame, because forums for old movies were amazing. The best on the web. You could have a solid discussion on Humphrey Bogart or any of his movies. Impossible now.

As for the ratings, that's very subjective of course. I think everyone with a shred of integrity will disagree with many ratings, as you should have your own personal opinion, and not swallow indiscriminately whatever the imdb/rt/metacritic score tells you, whether it's from movie critics or the audience score. With that in mind, I think the IMDB scores are about as fair as they come, and while me disagreeing with the rating is fairly common, I think the rating makes sense in seeing what people in general think. They also have an interesting top 250 list: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 1:40 pm 
The worst

Read an interesting article that said that the percentage drop off between TFA and TLJ is almost exactly the same domestic box office drop off there was between Star Wars and Empire and Phantom Menace and AotC (with both trilogy cappers doing about halfway between the first and second movies. The article didn't discuss the international box office, though.

In either case, the internal Disney narrative about TLJ is likely that it is on pace with expectations, which bodes well for RJ's trilogy proceeding.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 1:47 pm 
RM Elitist

I honestly don't understand the obsession with box office and user scores and rotten tomato scores. This is a Star Wars movie so unless they somehow start losing money (they wont), it's not like they're going to stop making them.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 1:50 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

@SkitchP wrote:
I honestly don't understand the obsession with box office and user scores and rotten tomato scores. This is a Star Wars movie so unless they somehow start losing money (they wont), it's not like they're going to stop making them.

This is where Solo comes in. That will tell the real tale of the future of the standalones

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 3:03 pm 
The worst

@SkitchP wrote:

I'm just paranoid that they pull RJ from his trilogy. I don't think they will, but the internet can make you nervous

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 3:07 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
Read an interesting article that said that the percentage drop off between TFA and TLJ is almost exactly the same domestic box office drop off there was between Star Wars and Empire and Phantom Menace and AotC (with both trilogy cappers doing about halfway between the first and second movies. The article didn't discuss the international box office, though.

In either case, the internal Disney narrative about TLJ is likely that it is on pace with expectations, which bodes well for RJ's trilogy proceeding.

Sadly, most news sites aren't in the business of providing context like this.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 3:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

I'm just paranoid that they pull RJ from his trilogy. I don't think they will, but the internet can make you nervous

The industry guy that I talk to the most (he's been fairly on point with his info) tells me Disney is actually super nervous and that there's more than a fair chance they pull Rian's trilogy. Nothing is guaranteed yet. They need to see where TLJ finishes at the Box Office and how Solo is received. But nothing is set or locked right now.

Again, this according to a guy I know who works in the film business and has good friends who work at Disney.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 3:13 pm 
The Master

I love that the biggest box office draw of 2017 is considered a disappointment.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 3:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:

I know. It's completely asinine. It's in the top 15 highest grossing films of all time and by the time it finishes it's theatrical run, it might crack the top 10. Ever. There's a shot this movie ends up with 1.5 billion dollars and STILL be kill future stand alone and non-sage films.

The movie business is stupid.

But, yeah, Disney, please make more live-action, shot-for-shot, remakes of your already timeless and outstanding animated films.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 3:17 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I know. It's completely asinine. It's in the top 15 highest grossing films of all time and by the time it finishes it's theatrical run, it might crack the top 10. Ever. There's a shot this movie ends up with 1.5 billion dollars and STILL be kill future stand alone and non-sage films.

But, yeah, Disney, please make more live-action, shot-for-shot, remakes of your already timeless and outstanding animated films.

Didn't Disney produce like 5 or 6 of the top 10 highest grossing films of 2017?

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 3:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Yep. And the previous year they recorded higher profits than any other studio in the history of time. They made (if I remember correctly) over 7 billion at the BO over the year which is something that's never happened before. TLJ alone gave them another 1.2 BILLION (at least) to hang on their 2017 total.

In 2018 they have three Marvel films, a Star Wars film, and the return of an old iconic character (Mary Poppins). And that doesn't speak to their animated films or their live-action remakes of animated films. Oh yeah, AND they're launching a subscription streaming service. AND they just bought Fox.

These assholes could lose 10 billion on Star Wars over the next decade and still have enough money to give everyone in America enough money to take a year off.

The Last Jedi didn't make The Force Awakens numbers. But so what? It wasn't ever going to. Disney/Lucasfilm knew that. I know people are reporting it but I still can't wrap my head around how, on any planet, the film was not a commercial and critical smash.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 4:01 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Yep. And the previous year they recorded higher profits than any other studio in the history of time. They made (if I remember correctly) over 7 billion at the BO over the year which is something that's never happened before. TLJ alone gave them another 1.2 BILLION (at least) to hang on their 2017 total.

In 2018 they have three Marvel films, a Star Wars film, and the return of an old iconic character (Mary Poppins). And that doesn't speak to their animated films or their live-action remakes of animated films. Oh yeah, AND they're launching a subscription streaming service. AND they just bought Fox.

These assholes could lose 10 billion on Star Wars over the next decade and still have enough money to give everyone in America enough money to take a year off.

The Last Jedi didn't make The Force Awakens numbers. But so what? It wasn't ever going to. Disney/Lucasfilm knew that. I know people are reporting it but I still can't wrap my head around how, on any planet, the film was not a commercial and critical smash.

Have to satisfy those stock holders I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars