The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Speculate responsibly, exactly. And that's all this is. Logical, respectful, and responsible speculation based on the actual evidence presented in the text.

Last edited by epilogue on Tue April 17, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:30 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
I can’t find the piece but it’s explained somewhere that they backed away from Palpatine ‘creating’ Anakin for very good reasons but chief among them is he had to be the start of the story so if you give him a father, even one using dark magic, it opens up a whole new can of worms and needs explaining. ‘Who was his father’ to ‘are the Skywalkers a mighty force sensitive ancestry, so where are his ancestors?’ Etc would have been the topic and derailed attention away from this one small boy and what he came to mean and become in the galaxy.

This doesn't really make a ton of sense to me, though. I agree that if Anakin had a father all of those questions come into play. But having Palpatine create him shuts off those questions immediately. So, backing away from that idea/plan because it opens up a whole new can of worms doesn't quite add up to me. I believe you're just explaining something that you read at one point, so I'm not criticizing you, just the logic behind that person's explanation.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:34 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
I can’t find the piece but it’s explained somewhere that they backed away from Palpatine ‘creating’ Anakin for very good reasons but chief among them is he had to be the start of the story so if you give him a father, even one using dark magic, it opens up a whole new can of worms and needs explaining. ‘Who was his father’ to ‘are the Skywalkers a mighty force sensitive ancestry, so where are his ancestors?’ Etc would have been the topic and derailed attention away from this one small boy and what he came to mean and become in the galaxy.

This doesn't really make a ton of sense to me, though. I agree that if Anakin had a father all of those questions come into play. But having Palpatine create him shuts off those questions immediately. So, backing away from that idea/plan because it opens up a whole new can of worms doesn't quite add up to me. I believe you're just explaining something that you read at one point, so I'm not criticizing you, just the logic behind that person's explanation.

But you’re missing the key point. If they taint the waters in the film by saying Anakin is actually a product of Palpatine, that sends all the threads and Anakins arc spinning off in a whole new tainted direction. Therefore Anakin is dark to begin with and it undoes his redemption and Luke and Leia a product of darkness so no good can ever come of them. It destroys the entire point of it all.

Makes sense to me why they didn’t go there.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

But you’re missing the key point. If they taint the waters in the film by saying Anakin is actually a product of Palpatine, that sends all the threads and Anakins arc spinning off in a whole new tainted direction. Therefore Anakin is dark to begin with and it undoes his redemption and Luke and Leia a product of darkness so no good can ever come of them. It destroys the entire point of it all.

What? That doesn't make any sense at all.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:42 pm 
The Master

Star Wars sucks.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Finally! Something we can all agree on!

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:49 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

What? That doesn't make any sense at all.

If Melania and Barron trump suddenly went all over the world doing good and fighting against their fathers oppression, would you believe them or their story?

No. None of us would.

Because their father is the son of an even worse slumlord scumbag who was worse than him. And Donald is evil incarnate.

It destroys Anakins redemption as Vader and taints luke and leias story if in the very first instance, Anakin was created by and for the dark through Palpatine.

This is t hard to grasp and I get you love the idea Palpatine created him but it upends everything if you allow it to be true. Gladly it isn’t.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Wouldn't that make his eventual turn to the light even more dramatic and significant?

And wouldn't the idea of Luke and Leia becoming beacons of light for the rebellion further the idea that one is not where one came from? And that one has agency over one's own life? Also, Ben was born from "good" and became Kylo Ren. I don't think it's as clear-cut as you're making it.

Last edited by Jorge on Tue April 17, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

*stares at hands*

what have I become

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Yours is completely incoherent and flawed logic, dime. It doesn't make any sense at all. At all.

There may be valid reasons to argue against the theory but what you've presented here ain't it, buddy.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:55 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
*stares at hands*

what have I become

:haha:

One of us
One of us
One of us

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
*stares at hands*

what have I become

:haha:

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Wouldn't that make his eventual turn to the light even more dramatic and significant?

And wouldn't the idea of Luke and Leia becoming beacons of light for the rebellion further the idea that one is not where one came from? And that one has agency over one's own life? Also, Ben was born from "good" and became Kylo Ren. I don't think it's as clear-cut as you're making it.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 10:59 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Yours is completely incoherent and flawed logic, dime. It doesn't make any sense at all. At all.

There may be valid reasons to argue against the theory but what you've presented here ain't it, buddy.

K
Palpatine didn’t create Anakin through the force or otherwise.
You’re theories are cool but they aren’t canon no matter how much you try join dots, it doesn’t make them fact in canon. They aren’t.

You’ve just out fanboid me on RM and a number of really questionable Star Wars YouTube channels. Well played.

The Master

This was fun.

The Master

Dime, no posting past 2 am okay?

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 11:00 pm 

theplatypus wrote:

We haven’t seen the end of Ben/kylos story yet. Hold your horses.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 11:01 pm 

Strat wrote:
Dime, no slamming keys past 2 am okay?

Is he just winding me up?

I thought as much

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 11:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

K
Palpatine didn’t create Anakin through the force or otherwise.
You’re theories are cool but they aren’t canon no matter how much you try join dots, it doesn’t make them fact in canon. They aren’t.

You’ve just out fanboid me on RM and a number of really questionable Star Wars YouTube channels. Well played.

Oh, okay My bad.

PostPosted: Tue April 17, 2018 11:05 pm 

:wave:
Fake neeeewwss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars