The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi -spoilers start 3
PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 3:52 pm 
The worst

TFA can also make a dramatic reveal when it wants to (the moment when Rey activates the lightsaber for the first time is an all time great). If Starkiller base was supposed to be treated like the Death Star was in R1 it would have been handled that way (granted that movie does it supremely well), but there's no attempt to make the size and scope of starkiller anything beyond absurd - look at the nature of Hux's speech when it is fired off)

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

The worst

blueviper wrote:
I'm still disappointed with the movie, and may or may not see it again in the theater. I have issues with it.

But I will say that you guys really know how to put a discussion together when working with people who have issues with it and the others that enjoy the movie and find new things to love.

I didn't want to bottom page your post

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

blueviper wrote:
I'm still disappointed with the movie, and may or may not see it again in the theater. I have issues with it.

But I will say that you guys really know how to put a discussion together when working with people who have issues with it and the others that enjoy the movie and find new things to love.

Thanks! And, to me, that's the whole point. I'm not here to criticize those that didn't like the film. But if my perspective can help someone appreciate something they didn't appreciate before, then that's valuable. Not to tell you you're wrong and I'm right. Just to tell you why I liked something or didn't like something and then to just talk about why. Changing minds isn't the primary goal.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 3:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
TFA can also make a dramatic reveal when it wants to (the moment when Rey activates the lightsaber for the first time is an all time great). If Starkiller base was supposed to be treated like the Death Star was in R1 it would have been handled that way (granted that movie does it supremely well), but there's no attempt to make the size and scope of starkiller anything beyond absurd - look at the nature of Hux's speech when it is fired off)

Excellent point. I hadn't really thought if it in those terms before but this is spot on.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 3:53 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
blueviper wrote:

I didn't want to bottom page your post

Oh thanks. That was nice of you.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 4:00 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:

Excellent point. I hadn't really thought if it in those terms before but this is spot on.

Additionally once again when Han states something to the fact "well, we blow it up, theres always a way" tongue firmly planted in cheek....

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 4:01 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

To be clear, lampshading a lazy plot device doesn't make it any less lazy

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 4:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Sure. But I'm not sure that's what's happening here.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 4:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

blueviper wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Yay grim sociopolitical ultrarealism, just what a great space opera should be

LOL.

I don't get why people want SW to be so realistic (character-wise) or the need for these space fantasies to mirror real-life historical and/or current events.

Can't I just go watch heroes defeat bad guys? Can't the bad guys get the upper hand at some point, and then the heroes figure out a way to best them?

Why do we have to show in a space fantasy that everyone is special (everyone can use the force?), if that is what indeed the last scene is implying, or Rian is wanting to imply with kililng the Jedi Order. The OT made Luke special, the "Return of the Jedi" and us kids didn't complain about it. We just roleplayed that we were Luke, or Han, or whomever else.

If everyone can use the Force, then the Force and its powers is basically "normal".

Except kids are starting to not want that kind of escapism. My son and his classmates have discussed frequently in school about how they dislike the stories where the good guys win despite the bad guys having everything. We discussed the film at length over dinner the other day and he was glad the stories went the way they did.

Then again he's 12 so what does he know. :P

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 4:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Smart kid. Give him anything he wants. He will be the future of civilization.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 4:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

blueviper wrote:

Yeah, I love reading the discussion. I had to leave a thread on another board because one guy just kept harping on anyone who had something positive to say with "nuh-uh, here's 20 reasons your opinion is shit". Got old quick.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 4:59 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

bune wrote:
blueviper wrote:

Yeah, I love reading the discussion. I had to leave a thread on another board because one guy just kept harping on anyone who had something positive to say with "nuh-uh, here's 20 reasons your opinion is shit". Got old quick.

I’m dealing with that on another board except it’s five or six guys literally relating the same not stupid but yeah stupid arguments and berating anyone who likes it.

Literally in their own echo chamber.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 6:13 pm 

Regardless of your feelings this is a really good and very funny breakdown of TLJ and it’s flaws and successes. Kevin Smith and Marc somebody

A good listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/fat ... 0398476053

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 6:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Marc Bernardin knows his shit and talks about nerd movies the way I wish I could.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 6:38 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I forgot to say I take it it's Rey at the end?

I'll also add, I like the way the trilogies go together without absolute beginning or end to the fight. In real life, Hitler came from nothing and his defeat came from nothing. In the real world, there is no final battle, there is no final defeat, and there is no final victory. That's something that doesn't come across if all you have is episodes 4-6.

You have to hope when all seems lost, and you have to not be complacent when all seems won.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 6:45 pm 

bune wrote:
Marc Bernardin knows his shit and talks about nerd movies the way I wish I could.

Yeah he seems to really know his stuff. Really fun listen.

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Alright team, tickets have been purchased for the second viewing. I'll be seeing it again (for the first time) today at 4pm.

NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Let's all laugh at Rangers wrote:

Huh? The kid?

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 6:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Let's all laugh at Rangers wrote:

I'll also add, I like the way the trilogies go together without absolute beginning or end to the fight. In real life, Hitler came from nothing and his defeat came from nothing. In the real world, there is no final battle, there is no final defeat, and there is no final victory. That's something that doesn't come across if all you have is episodes 4-6.

You have to hope when all seems lost, and you have to not be complacent when all seems won.

I mean, that's what got us to where we are with Nazis and Confederate morons running around all of a sudden.

PostPosted: Thu January 04, 2018 7:04 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Alright team, tickets have been purchased for the second viewing. I'll be seeing it again (for the first time) today at 4pm.

Excited for you joey :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars