The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi -spoilers start 3
PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 2:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
Different retail outlets getting different bonus content is such a fucking pain.
Overall though the basic contents sound great. 14 deleted scenes and a feature length making of along with loads of extras. And an audio commentary on the film with Rian and commentary on the deleted scenes.

I’m gonna have to buy a goddamn Blu ray player :(

I recommend a 4k player. Can play blu-rays as well, just a bit more expensive.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 2:59 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Different retail outlets getting different bonus content is such a fucking pain.
Overall though the basic contents sound great. 14 deleted scenes and a feature length making of along with loads of extras. And an audio commentary on the film with Rian and commentary on the deleted scenes.

I’ve googled this and can’t find an answer but I don’t think my tv is compatible with either.
It’s got a scart Input and a hdmi input but that’s it.
Be a real pain to buy a 4K player and get it home to find I need a new tv also

*also my tv is only 720x1080 afaik so it probably is totally incompatible with either br or 4k

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 3:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I’ve googled this and can’t find an answer but I don’t think my tv is compatible with either.
It’s got a scart Input and a hdmi input but that’s it.
Be a real pain to buy a 4K player and get it home to find I need a new tv also

*also my tv is only 720x1080 afaik so it probably is totally incompatible with either br or 4k

I am sure it is comparable in an able to play sense with any blu-ray player. It's been around since 2006. You've even got an hdmi input. Can't play 4k discs without a 4k tv, but the point is if you decide to upgrade your tv in two years time, it's nice to already have a capable player. And any 4k player should also be a blu ray player. If you buy from a store, you can always ask them.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 5:08 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

720x1080?!

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 6:10 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
720x1080?!

I’m not even sure what that means Jorge. It just pops up on the screen sometimes

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 6:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

«TV broadcasters and cable/satellite providers send programming in several resolutions. ABC and FOX (which includes their cable channels, such as ESPN, ABC Family, etc...) use 720p, while most other providers, such as PBS, NBC, CBS, CW, TNT, and most premium services, such as HBO, use 1080i.

Contrary to what many think you can use Blu-ray Disc player with a 720p TV. All Blu-ray disc players can be set to output 480p/720p/1080i/or 1080p via HDMI output connection.»

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 7:18 pm 

Anders wrote:
«TV broadcasters and cable/satellite providers send programming in several resolutions. ABC and FOX (which includes their cable channels, such as ESPN, ABC Family, etc...) use 720p, while most other providers, such as PBS, NBC, CBS, CW, TNT, and most premium services, such as HBO, use 1080i.

Contrary to what many think you can use Blu-ray Disc player with a 720p TV. All Blu-ray disc players can be set to output 480p/720p/1080i/or 1080p via HDMI output connection.»

You encourage me thank you sir :) *

Last edited by dimejinky99 on Tue February 20, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 7:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

covfefe to you too.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 7:23 pm 

Oh god. It’s worse I’m getting.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 7:27 pm 
The Master

I made the mistake of clicking on Johnson's mentions on the 4k Blu Ray release information. Man, some people really suck.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 7:56 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I made the mistake of clicking on Johnson's mentions on the 4k Blu Ray release information. Man, some people really suck.

It’s beyond appalling. No surprises at all they aren’t announcing the female/POC directors and writers they’ve got lined up.

My big question is all these assholes said they were done with Star Wars after the last Jedi. Why still abusing and shit bombing the director?? Just get on with life.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 8:53 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

It’s beyond appalling. No surprises at all they aren’t announcing the female/POC directors and writers they’ve got lined up.

My big question is all these assholes said they were done with Star Wars after the last Jedi. Why still abusing and shit bombing the director?? Just get on with life.

Maybe we should start doing that to the Pearl Jam Twitter account. Lightning Bolt ruined my life!

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 8:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Over the last two days I re-watched The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and it's amazing how much better those movies are in the context/aesthetic of The Last Jedi. TLJ really owes so much to those films. In a really good way.

There's a really good chance that ten years from now everyone will think TLJ is the linchpin of the Star Wars saga. Not that everyone will love the movie but I wonder if it won't be looked at as the most crucial part of the entire story.

The first two prequels have so much less to do with Anakin than I remembered. They really are far more Jedi stories (Qui Gonn and Obi-Wan). Actually, you could almost entirely cut Anakin from the first two films and they'd remain just as valuable and important to the overall narrative. Other than his accidental heroics in TPM and Palpatine's manipulations of him in AotC (which is admittedly a big fucking deal), he's kind of unnecessary, really.

I wonder how long it took George to convince himself that these were Anakin's stories.

My point being, TLJ really pulls all the old, dangling Jedi threads together in a fascinating way. The prequels are far more Jedi tales than the story of Anakin Skywalker. And TLJ does so much to finally bring all of it together and concentrate those vital themes.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 9:01 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Over the last two days I re-watched The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and it's amazing how much better those movies are in the context/aesthetic of The Last Jedi. TLJ really owes so much to those films. In a really good way.

There's a really good chance that ten years from now everyone will think TLJ is the linchpin of the Star Wars saga. Not that everyone will love the movie but I wonder if it won't be looked at as the most crucial part of the entire story.

The first two prequels have so much less to do with Anakin than I remembered. They really are far more Jedi stories (Qui Gonn and Obi-Wan). Actually, you could almost entirely cut Anakin from the first two films and they'd remain just as valuable and important to the overall narrative. Other than his accidental heroics in TPM and Palpatine's manipulations of him in AotC (which is admittedly a big fucking deal), he's kind of unnecessary, really.

I wonder how long it took George to convince himself that these were Anakin's stories.

My point being, TLJ really pulls all the old, dangling Jedi threads together in a fascinating way. The prequels are far more Jedi tales than the story of Anakin Skywalker. And TLJ does so much to finally bring all of it together and concentrate those vital themes.

Interesting observations. How does the CGI hold up? :?

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 9:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:

Very cool. I like this post.

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 9:15 pm 
The worst

Interesting. In defense of the prequels I don't have many issues with the ideas present (with the exception of the chosen one/balance in the force idea, which I hate). It's usually an execution thing for me. I haven't gone back to them in the context of TLJ though

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue February 20, 2018 9:59 pm 

Nothing to add to joeys excellent observations other than totally agreeing but I also rewatched TPM and AOTC and ROTS recently and noticed there’s no shift in tone within the prequels at all. Only time it tries to is the godawful romance stuff in AOTC. But all three films are without any gear shift at all. Even as it bleeds into the Clone Wars series, it’s wll one note.
So we’re now left with a new film striking out hard against the previous. But TFA and TLJ blend perfectly into each other despite being totally different in tone. TFA doesn’t stop. It flies by. But tlj does too. The pacing is similar but TLJ is really packed and probably overpacked whereas TFA is almost breezy yet not empty

I’m waffling.

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2018 1:42 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Guys who cares? Its all about black pantha now.
I mean is Disney still going to make a sw movie?

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2018 1:46 am 
Future Drummer

Anders wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Very cool. I like this post.

PostPosted: Wed February 21, 2018 3:07 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The VFX are distracting, especially in AotC. That movie would have benefited from practical sets.

I love what George tried to do to advance technology but it would have been better with less immersive green screen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 488, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars