The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi -spoilers start 3
PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 6:18 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Esquires after annoying Pablo. Welp

Pablo took Esquire out for their frankly stupid article

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2018 8:55 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Leatherhead wrote:
Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:
The caption of the picture in the official Luke Skywalker bio on Starwars.com, showing Luke with his friends the Battle of Endor:

Returning to his friends, Luke saw a trio of Force spirits -- Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin, redeemed by his sacrifice. Luke's love for his father had saved the galaxy, and brought about a chance to restore the Republic and the Jedi Order.

And:

«Luke: I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
Palpatine: [angrily] So be it... Jedi!»

That’s the moment he becomes a Jedi. Only when he faces Vader and rejects the dark side.

Perhaps. He does act like a Jedi even at the beginning of the movie though. When he arrives at Jabba’s palace.

I don't know if force-choking guys to death is very Jedi-like.

He is there to save his friends. Jedi kill all the time when they have to. He succeeds as well. How do you think Luke would have handled that post-ROTJ?

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 4:06 pm 
The worst

Force choking is a dark side power, but the constant temptation is part of Luke’s character

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 4:24 pm 

I think on basic terms it was to throw the audience. We hadn’t seen him since Empire and You’re not sure if he’s gone dark or not. In universe it’s a little more interesting and something they might develop if they give us stories about him between ROTJ/TFA where he’s learning and taking methods to suit his needs outside Jedi/Sith dogma. I wouldn’t say he’s always being tempted at that stage. He has his own mastery and cherry picks from abilities to adapt to whatever situation calls for it.
He seems like he knows who he is and he’s beyond temptation or struggling to resist the dark side in ROTJ. Vader taunting him with Leia is his only moment of weakness. The emperor didn’t manage to break through only to taunt him a little and in his inherent goodness and maybe arrogance/naivety he thinks he would be able to strike the emperor down but he’s not doing it from a dark place. He’s doing it cos he thinks it’s the right thing to do.

Rambly Sunday post.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 6:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I agree with both of you. I am sure that it was intended to make the audience doubt in ROTJ, when Luke came in a dark suit and force choked his way into the temple. I also believe it is part of his abilities that he has chosen, even if it is a dark side power, other Jedi have used it. I do think he was beyond temptation from the Sith at that point,

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 6:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I think all of this is just stuff that fans have added on to the movie after the fact. I think in the moment the filmmakers thought, "wouldn't it be cool if Luke..." And then it was in the movie.

I'd be surprised if there was real detailed thought-out talk about what is or isn't light-side or dark-side powers. But maybe I'm totally wrong. Just seems like so much of this was made up as they went along. I know Lucas had a lot worked out about history and the Jedi and the Sith and all of that stuff. But it seems like the minutia of powers and stuff came later when fandom become a rabid thing and people cared about this stuff.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 6:33 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
I think all of this is just stuff that fans have added on to the movie after the fact. I think in the moment the filmmakers thought, "wouldn't it be cool if Luke..." And then it was in the movie.

I'd be surprised if there was real detailed thought-out talk about what is or isn't light-side or dark-side powers. But maybe I'm totally wrong. Just seems like so much of this was made up as they went along. I know Lucas had a lot worked out about history and the Jedi and the Sith and all of that stuff. But it seems like the minutia of powers and stuff came later when fandom become a rabid thing and people cared about this stuff.

Both are true. But don’t diminish Lucas’ designs for Luke/the Jedi. He really really sweated those details. The fan base just took up all of it and ran with it ever since. And that’s the fun of it too.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 6:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Both are true. But don’t diminish Lucas’ designs for Luke/the Jedi. He really really sweated those details. The fan base just took up all of it and ran with it ever since. And that’s the fun of it too.

My favorite example of Lucas "really really sweating" all of those details is when he said, [paraphrasing] "Bad guys have red light sabers and good guys have green or blue ones. I don't know why, that's just the way it is."

And then Sam Jackson is all like, "Can I have a purple one though?" And Lucas said, "I think we can arrange that."

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 6:51 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

My favorite example of Lucas "really really sweating" all of those details is when he said, [paraphrasing] "Bad guys have red light sabers and good guys have green or blue ones. I don't know why, that's just the way it is."

And then Sam Jackson is all like, "Can I have a purple one though?" And Lucas said, "I think we can arrange that."

Ah be fair. He got into tightening all of that stuff and more with clone wars.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 6:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Exactly. And when did Return of the Jedi come out? Was that before or after The Clone Wars? I forget. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:02 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Exactly. And when did Return of the Jedi come out? Was that before or after The Clone Wars? I forget. :mrgreen:

I didn’t want to be hate keeping but when you read that making of book, his original design for ROTJ on its own shows how seriously he took this stuff

But it’s semantics. It’s fans that got hired and involved and enriched the galaxy. He was Not alone building the world.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Lucas loved symbolism. So Luke wearing black was to make the viewer think he was close to turning, while the white fold was to show that he was good on the inside. Hamill commented to Lucas during the making of the movie that his clothing reminded him of Vader. Lucas answered that it was supposed to.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

What's "hate keeping"? I've never heard that term before.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:13 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:

Typo. I meant gate keeping.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:16 pm 
The worst

who is the official keeper of the star wars hate?

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:19 pm 

stip wrote:

Safe to say there are now millions of guys vying for that position out there right now.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Typo. I meant gate keeping.

Oh, gotcha. Sorry. I should have guessed that.

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
stip wrote:

Safe to say there are now millions of guys vying for that position out there right now.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

"The film has now earned $1.296 billion, putting it above Frozen ($1.275b in 2013/2014) as the ninth-biggest global grosser of all time. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II ($1.343 billion in 2011) is a bridge too far, so it will likely get no higher than ninth place"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/01/21/box-office-star-wars-the-last-jedi-zooms-past-600m-in-37-days/#38c9612241ff

Pretty good. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun January 21, 2018 7:28 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
stip wrote:

:lol:

Did you read through Rians thread responding to all the quacks?? Great reading.

Check out this guys account. Seriously. And he’s just one of a great many.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars