The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 6:12 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Risks? I dont see them in this movie.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 6:24 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
stip wrote:
this is a nice little piece

Spoiler: show
http://collider.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rey-parents-explained/

That’s a great summation that, I think, well represents the feelings of those who will love this movie.

I think it's flawed.
Star Wars never suggested you couldn't be anyone and still have force abilities. But it did suggest that you needed training to defeat those who also had training, and it also a story closely connected to the Skywalkers. To just drop that would be a huge flaw in the overall saga.

Did it? Luke uses the force to blow up the death star with 15 minutes of training, and fights vader (twice!) without ever completing training. The JEDI emphasized training, but the message of this movie (explicilty)
and implicitly in the OT is that the ability to use the force is as much about your internal state of mind as it is practice

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 6:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
stip wrote:

That’s a great summation that, I think, well represents the feelings of those who will love this movie.

I think it's flawed.
Star Wars never suggested you couldn't be anyone and still have force abilities. But it did suggest that you needed training to defeat those who also had training, and it also a story closely connected to the Skywalkers. To just drop that would be a huge flaw in the overall saga.

Did it? Luke uses the force to blow up the death star with 15 minutes of training, and fights vader (twice!) without ever completing training. The JEDI emphasized training, but the message of this movie (explicilty)
and implicitly in the OT is that the ability to use the force is as much about your internal state of mind as it is practice

Luke does have teachers, and gets a fair amount of training bedore facing Vader. He is still only saved because he is his son. He is also a fantastic pilot, probably partly because of his heritage.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 6:40 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
stip wrote:

I think it's flawed.

Luke does have teachers, and gets a fair amount of training bedore facing Vader. He is still only saved because he is his son. He is also a fantastic pilot, probably partly because of his heritage.

he's a fantastic pilot because it is convenient - where the hell would a farm boy get to practice flying, let alone something like an X-wing. And his heritage is just that he inherited a great proficiency for the force. We're not really that far off here.

The timing of empire is really weird, too. It's never clear how long Luke actually spends on dagobah. Maybe it was just a week

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 6:49 pm 
The Master

The film's biggest strength and weakness is how it begins immediately after the Force Awakens.

Those disappointed there wasn't more character development or mysteries solved were bound for it not to meet their expectations.

But it also provided an urgency to the plot that kept things moving along.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 6:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
Anders wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
stip wrote:

I think it's flawed.

he's a fantastic pilot because it is convenient - where the hell would a farm boy get to practice flying, let alone something like an X-wing. And his heritage is just that he inherited a great proficiency for the force. We're not really that far off here.

The timing of empire is really weird, too. It's never clear how long Luke actually spends on dagobah. Maybe it was just a week

Luke owned and flew a T-16 Skyhopper on Tatooine. "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters."

Luke's initial training took a few weeks I believe, before he rushed off to face Vader the first time, which didn't go too well. That's all from the first two movies. Of course if we take all movies into consideration, Luke's reasons for being especially force sensitive is much larger, as his father had a very interesting childhood and birth.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 7:02 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 7:07 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
:D :D :D

Never trust someone who retweets their own tweets.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 7:09 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I do believe a lot of the ¨humor¨ was Rian fucking with beloved characters just for fun.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 7:12 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

thats interesting..so empire is right around same mark as empire.....

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 7:18 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
I do believe a lot of the ¨humor¨ was Rian fucking with beloved characters just for fun.

I loved that he fucked with us as fans, just enough. The meta moments mostly didn't take me out of things. Again, a 2017 Star Wars movie. The only cheeky part that I had a tiny internal groan at was Luke doing the shoulder brush-off at Kylo. Although that was pretty consistent with his behavior throughout the movie, so whatever

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 7:38 pm 
The Master

swan wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

The only cheeky part that I had a tiny internal groan at was Luke doing the shoulder brush-off at Kylo. Although that was pretty consistent with his behavior throughout the movie, so whatever

Still way better than "Droid please" from TFA.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 8:37 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
swan wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

The only cheeky part that I had a tiny internal groan at was Luke doing the shoulder brush-off at Kylo. Although that was pretty consistent with his behavior throughout the movie, so whatever

Still way better than "Droid please" from TFA.

yes, by a wide margin

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 8:41 pm 
The Master

Seems like a lot of the complaints I've read are that it didn't meet everyone's "expectations". Critiques of the plot, dialogue choices, etc. are one thing, but I find it fascinating how people are judging this movie based on whether or not it met their expectations.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 8:58 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Seems like a lot of the complaints I've read are that it didn't meet everyone's "expectations". Critiques of the plot, dialogue choices, etc. are one thing, but I find it fascinating how people are judging this movie based on whether or not it met their expectations.

Its a shock to the system. It was for me.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 9:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I just don't know. :?

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 9:04 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Its a shock to the system. It was for me.

Yeah, takes some processing.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 9:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

I didn't love it. I walked out of TFA in love with Star Wars again. There are a lot of great things about this movie, but too many things bugged me and took me out of the movie, most which have already been mentioned here.

My least favorite thing aside from Super Leia - Snoke's robe. Looks like fucking millionaire Biff in Back to the Future 2.

My favorite part - Poe's "What the hell?" when his foot went through the floor.

I love John Boyega's facial expressions (like his reaction to the BB-8 reveal when we all expected Benicia). I hope he's given more to do in part 9.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 9:05 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
I just don't know. :?

My first reaction was “hmm”

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 9:10 pm 
AnalLog

re: Benicio

anyone else get some Fenster from Usual Suspects nostalgia? I thought he was a fun little addition to the story

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars