The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 606  Next

Well?
Loved it - among the best Star Wars Movie 36%  36%  [ 25 ]
Really liked it, but not one of the best 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Liked it - it's Star Wars 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Ehhh 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
I miss the prequels 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 69
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
Wow. Check out McP two days before TFA came out

It's gonna be a comfortable mimicry of a story you already know, directed by someone who is superb with actors and good with action but adequate at best as a storyteller. It will feature some heartstrings-pulling character changes, practical effects, Star Wars noises, and JW music.

There is next to no chance that this will be anything less than a good, fun film. But the idea that the above combination might produce something as good as the original trilogy is laughable (although I'm sure there will be the usual overexcited "Guys Lightning Bolt Force Awakens is the best one in the whole set yeah I said it" hyperbole in the first few months after release).

You're about to get a solid, fun, rewatchable film called Star Wars. Why that wouldn't be enough for someone...why they would have to talk themselves into The Division Bell being not a good Pink Floyd record, but the best Pink Floyd record...I will never know.

He was right on

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Coach wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

It's gonna be a comfortable mimicry of a story you already know, directed by someone who is superb with actors and good with action but adequate at best as a storyteller. It will feature some heartstrings-pulling character changes, practical effects, Star Wars noises, and JW music.

There is next to no chance that this will be anything less than a good, fun film. But the idea that the above combination might produce something as good as the original trilogy is laughable (although I'm sure there will be the usual overexcited "Guys Lightning Bolt Force Awakens is the best one in the whole set yeah I said it" hyperbole in the first few months after release).

You're about to get a solid, fun, rewatchable film called Star Wars. Why that wouldn't be enough for someone...why they would have to talk themselves into The Division Bell being not a good Pink Floyd record, but the best Pink Floyd record...I will never know.

He was right on

You were replying to him arguing against it if I remember correctly :)

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
Coach wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

He was right on

You were replying to him arguing against it if I remember correctly :)

I must have had my Star Wars goggles on.

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 9:40 pm 

Understandable.

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 11:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Coach wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

He was right on

:haha:

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 11:28 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Coach wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

He was right on

:haha:

It's almost....almost like he knew something beforehand.

MCP WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE LAST JEDI

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 12:29 am 

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 7:52 pm 
The worst

two years out i think FA holds up to the OT. the star wars goggles effect, long term, is just as, if not more, applicable to those movies

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 8:36 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

stip wrote:
two years out i think FA holds up to the OT. the star wars goggles effect, long term, is just as, if not more, applicable to those movies

Agreed. I adore the film, and it easily holds up to the original trilogy. I still prefer it to ANH & Jedi, and it sits just under Empire. It has a lot of A New Hope's beats but it still feels fresh and it's a great introduction to the new characters. By the end of the film, I was sad that Han was dead but I was thoroughly invested in Rey and Kylo and their arcs. I can't really ask for much more than that from the opening film of a new trilogy.

It feels like Star Wars, too. In all the ways the prequel trilogy doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 12:50 am 
Rank This Poster

dimejinky99 wrote:

This looks pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 2:46 am 

BootsToAsses wrote:
stip wrote:

Agreed. I adore the film, and it easily holds up to the original trilogy. I still prefer it to ANH & Jedi, and it sits just under Empire. It has a lot of A New Hope's beats but it still feels fresh and it's a great introduction to the new characters. By the end of the film, I was sad that Han was dead but I was thoroughly invested in Rey and Kylo and their arcs. I can't really ask for much more than that from the opening film of a new trilogy.

I love you.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 2:49 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
stip wrote:

I love you.

You guys are going to pew all over each other, aren't you?

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 10:27 am 
The worst

going to?

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 3:56 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

dimejinky99 wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
stip wrote:

I love you.

Gee, I sure hope so :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu October 19, 2017 4:27 pm 

Fffffffuuuuuuuu. Guy I know is here right now. TLJ footage being shown today at a festival 'Ireland week' in Hollywood. Selling ireland to the Film making industry. Rian is also speaking at the panel.

PostPosted: Thu October 19, 2017 9:48 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Is your friend wearing some kind of hidden camera?

PostPosted: Thu October 19, 2017 9:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:naughty:

PostPosted: Thu October 19, 2017 10:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I will be at Disney just after Nov. 17 w/ my family.....

Spoiler: show
I guess I could try to get on the ride and report back to you guys about the Crait scene....omg, did I just volunteer to become an amateur Star Wars blogger? Oh no. :?

Disney: 'Last Jedi' scenes coming to Star Tours on Nov. 17

Sequences inspired by the upcoming “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” film will be incorporated into the Star Tours attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park as of Nov. 17, the company has announced.

The new action will take place on the planet of Crait during an “epic battle,” according to a post on the official Disney Parks Blog.

The 3-D simulator attraction uses a variety scenes that change from ride to ride. It features such “Star Wars” locations as Hoth, Kashyyyk and Naboo alongside characters such as Darth Vader, Yoda and Boba Fett.

The addition was originally announced last fall.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” comes to theaters on Dec. 15.

The Star Tours change is part of several “Star Wars”-related activities coming to Hollywood Studios. Chief among them is expected to be Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, a 14-acre dedicated land to all things “Star Wars.” It is scheduled to open to the public in 2019.

The park also has scheduled a special, after-hours event called Star Wars: Galactic Nights set for Dec. 15.

The segments on Crait will also be in the Star Tours in California on Nov. 17, followed by Disneyland Paris on Nov. 22 and Tokyo Disneyland on Dec. 15.

PostPosted: Thu October 19, 2017 10:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Please do this for us, Coach!!!

PostPosted: Thu October 19, 2017 10:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Enjoy those lines!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 606  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars