The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 277  Next

Which was better:
Rogue One 61%  61%  [ 36 ]
The Force Awakens 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Equally Good 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Haven't Seen Both 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Both Suck 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 12:30 pm 
The Beef

I watched this, finally. It was pretty OK.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 4:25 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

My pal who has neve seen Star Wars,any of them, saw it last night and he thought it good overall but it's not a standalone. He said it depends totally on you knowing the universe and at least the near background of the story and it doesn't work at all as a standalone rather it's a total vehicle to what is to follow and fails to stand on its own merits apart from being an exposition heavy trudge to an amazing final sequence. He felt it unbalanced and overall meh and he's not encouraged to watch the OT as a result.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 4:49 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
My pal who has neve seen Star Wars,any of them, saw it last night and he thought it good overall but it's not a standalone. He said it depends totally on you knowing the universe and at least the near background of the story and it doesn't work at all as a standalone rather it's a total vehicle to what is to follow and fails to stand on its own merits apart from being an exposition heavy trudge to an amazing final sequence. He felt it unbalanced and overall meh and he's not encouraged to watch the OT as a result.

I don't trust anyone who has never seen a Star Wars film.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 5:00 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I have to say, as days go by im more sour with this movie. Its just a failed experience i guess for me.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 5:00 pm 
RM Elitist

Monkey_Driven wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Yeah, and it's not like anyone has REALLY tried to sell these as true standalone films.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 5:04 pm 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Yeah, and it's not like anyone has REALLY tried to sell these as true standalone films.

Right.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 5:49 pm 
Major Dude

dimejinky99 wrote:
My pal who has neve seen Star Wars,any of them, saw it last night and he thought it good overall but it's not a standalone. He said it depends totally on you knowing the universe and at least the near background of the story and it doesn't work at all as a standalone rather it's a total vehicle to what is to follow and fails to stand on its own merits apart from being an exposition heavy trudge to an amazing final sequence.

He's not really wrong on this point.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 6:01 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
My pal who has neve seen Star Wars,any of them, saw it last night and he thought it good overall but it's not a standalone. He said it depends totally on you knowing the universe and at least the near background of the story and it doesn't work at all as a standalone rather it's a total vehicle to what is to follow and fails to stand on its own merits apart from being an exposition heavy trudge to an amazing final sequence.

He's not really wrong on this point.

No, one could definitely see the first part of the film being a trudge if they don't have an investment or interest in the world building that is going on.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 6:02 pm 
The Master

Yeah, who needs all that character development and visual interest

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 6:07 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Yeah, who needs all that character development and visual interest

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 6:39 pm 

Well jokes aside the only comeback I had was that there were some lovely shots that were new to Star Wars and we finally go to see Vader be a killing machine.

Even typing that points how weak a defence this film has to that kind of criticism.
All we learned is to get the most of out of these films you have to know about that universe at least a little .

Lesson for Disney I guess is they have to make them even more accessible to those not interested past a casual awareness of Star Wars. Which is the majority of people.

Which would be shitty for future films quality perhaps

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 6:45 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

dimejinky99 wrote:
Well jokes aside the only comeback I had was that there were some lovely shots that were new to Star Wars and we finally go to see Vader be a killing machine.

Even typing that points how weak a defence this film has to that kind of criticism.
All we learned is to get the most of out of these films you have to know about that universe at least a little .

Lesson for Disney I guess is they have to make them even more accessible to those not interested past a casual awareness of Star Wars. Which is the majority of people.

The film did a billion dollars. I think they'll be fine if they keep doing movies that require knowledge of the SW universe.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:26 pm 
RM Elitist

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

The film did a billion dollars. I think they'll be fine if they keep doing movies that require knowledge of the SW universe.

But Dime has his doubts about the film, so I'm sure that will be taken under heavy consideration.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:30 pm 

I'm in the story group I need to be in.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:33 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Has it made a billion?

News to me

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:35 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Has it made a billion?

News to me

It's getting awfully close to it.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:44 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Has it made a billion?

News to me

Ok, dime, you got me. 900,000,000. Sorry. You are right, they should probably change their approach now.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:45 pm 
RM Elitist

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Has it made a billion?

News to me

Ok, dime, you got me. 900,000,000. Sorry. You are right, they should probably change their approach now.

if the new approach is more chopper, im totes in.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:51 pm 

Calm down kids. It's a stressful time forcall of us.

How about a Star Wars nights series where Chopper is a serial killer droid and swears constantly

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 7:53 pm 
RM Elitist

dimejinky99 wrote:
Calm down kids. It's a stressful time forcall of us.

How about a Star Wars nights series where Chopper is a serial killer droid and swears constantly

Pretty sure he does anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 277  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars