The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706 ... 713  Next

So what did you think (DcT edition)?
Best of all the films 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Better than A New Hope, Empire, the prequels, But not Jedi 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Better than A New Hope, Jedi, the prequels, but not Empire 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Better than Empire, Jedi, the Prequels, but not A New Hope 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Better than A New Hope and the prequels, but not Empire or Jedi 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Better than Empire and the prequels, but not A New Hope or Jedi 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Better than Jedi and the prequels, but not a New Hope or Empire 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
As good as Empire, Jedi, and A New Hope, and better than the prequels 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Better than the prequels, but not the originals 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
As good as some of the prequels 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
As good as all of the prequels 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Worse than the prequels 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 87
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 7:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It’s not one or the other. Where a) all the old characters dominate all the new movies, and b) we get TFA and TLJ.

There are a million ways they could have chosen to make these sequels. Plenty of those options could have dealt with the OT characters in a better way. It wouldn’t be difficult.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
I know you and everyone wanted to see them. I know we all wanted it to be about them. Im sorry that didnt happen. But its not about them. They are there to service the new storyline and new characters. Thats it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in 1983 after ROTJ came out were wondering what the further adventures of Luke, Leia and Han would be.

Even discussing movies before ANH, it was what Anakin/Darth and Obi-Wan would be doing (still OT characters)

You can listen to the three hundred reasons GL had going forward with how he wanted his SW saga to work out. Standalone film. No it's three movies. No it's actually 12. No it's 9. It doesn't matter. He stated he filmed this particular time span of this saga because 1) it was doable and 2) it was the most interesting.

Star Wars is Star Wars because of what we got with the first three movies. You can expand all you want into the universe and bring dozens of new characters into the mix, but it can't hold a candle to the original adventures put forth from 77 - 83. That is Star Wars. That escapism can never be recaptured, but money talks so here we are.

We have gotten a ton of SW content but it's so bland and boring and there's nothing there but fan-fiction type junk that just happens to be under official LFL logos now.

If we go by your rules, then episodes X - XII should have Rey, Poe, Finn in secondary roles and not be "about them" . But people are wanting films or tv shows centered on these new characters. Decisions, decisions...

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:06 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
Strat wrote:
blueviper wrote:
So we waited decades for Episode IIV, and they actually get Harrison Ford to reprise he role as Han Solo (which I would have never expected) and they craze leading up to this was stratospheric...

and we get a bigger death star (and a joke by Han about it, no less). And a near retread of ANH. That's the best they could come up with? And you get 15 seconds of mute Luke.

ITS NOT ABOUT THOSE CHARACTERS

Don’t feed the trolls, Strat

Ps I’m going out to yer mans tonight. He probably has boxes of the new one.
I’ll grab one for you and your lady if I can.

I don't really care what people call me, but being labeled a troll is pretty disingenuous. I'm not spouting contrarian opinion for the sake of riling your guys up as a joke. While a lot of my comments are negative based on what we are getting with new SW content, I think it's just as appropriate to comment about it as compared to people lauding the TLJ and Ashoka or whatever her name is.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:11 pm 
The Master

blueviper wrote:
Strat wrote:
I know you and everyone wanted to see them. I know we all wanted it to be about them. Im sorry that didnt happen. But its not about them. They are there to service the new storyline and new characters. Thats it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in 1983 after ROTJ came out were wondering what the further adventures of Luke, Leia and Han would be.

Even discussing movies before ANH, it was what Anakin/Darth and Obi-Wan would be doing (still OT characters)

You can listen to the three hundred reasons GL had going forward with how he wanted his SW saga to work out. Standalone film. No it's three movies. No it's actually 12. No it's 9. It doesn't matter. He stated he filmed this particular time span of this saga because 1) it was doable and 2) it was the most interesting.

Star Wars is Star Wars because of what we got with the first three movies. You can expand all you want into the universe and bring dozens of new characters into the mix, but it can't hold a candle to the original adventures put forth from 77 - 83. That is Star Wars. That escapism can never be recaptured, but money talks so here we are.

We have gotten a ton of SW content but it's so bland and boring and there's nothing there but fan-fiction type junk that just happens to be under official LFL logos now.

If we go by your rules, then episodes X - XII should have Rey, Poe, Finn in secondary roles and not be "about them" . But people are wanting films or tv shows centered on these new characters. Decisions, decisions...

And the next generation who now grow up with, and are OBSESSED with rey, finn, poe, kylo etc....wil be pissed just like people like you are and around and around we go.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

blueviper wrote:
Strat wrote:

In X, Finn will be killed by his son, Poe will be in a few scenes as an old General in charge of the rebels, and Rey will be in the last scene without saying a word. However, they will destroy a Death Star.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:19 pm 
The Master

Its almost the same thing as being pissed at a band and other people for finally discovering them. Like they are ripping your heart out because they signed to a major label and its not longer yours anymore.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Or being a fan of Pearl Jam, and hoping they one day will release another good album. But at least we've got Imagine Dragons.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:32 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Or being a fan of Pearl Jam, and hoping they one day will release another good album. But at least we've got Imagine Dragons.

You know Imagine dragons does suck but you dont see me hammering away about them in the Other Bands forum hoping that one day they will just be good enough for me ;)

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 10:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No, but surely posting about Pearl Jam in a Pearl Jam debate forum, or Star Wars in a Star Wars debate forum isn't a problem, whether you like the latest product or not?

Personally, I don't think I'm that negative either. I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan, and love most of the product.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 11:56 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Strat wrote:
blueviper wrote:
So we waited decades for Episode IIV, and they actually get Harrison Ford to reprise he role as Han Solo (which I would have never expected) and they craze leading up to this was stratospheric...

and we get a bigger death star (and a joke by Han about it, no less). And a near retread of ANH. That's the best they could come up with? And you get 15 seconds of mute Luke.

I don't really care what people call me, but being labeled a troll is pretty disingenuous. I'm not spouting contrarian opinion for the sake of riling your guys up as a joke. While a lot of my comments are negative based on what we are getting with new SW content, I think it's just as appropriate to comment about it as compared to people lauding the TLJ and Ashoka or whatever her name is.

You literally posted that you have this fake account to complain about Star Wars.
You’ve said this more than once.

Forgive me but you’re just disruptive and corrosive and have nothin to add. So why bother?

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 5:39 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Strat wrote:
blueviper wrote:

You literally posted that you have this fake account to complain about Star Wars.
You’ve said this more than once.

Forgive me but you’re just disruptive and corrosive and have nothin to add. So why bother?

Please find where I've said this is a fake account. I assure you this is my only account and it's not fake, and it's not for trolling. I know there is a lot of joking around on these forums but if I'm being called out as a fake and a troll I'm going to stand up against that accusation, especially in this day and age where it's normal to abuse social media, of which I do not partake. I might have even used this same name on the board before it was rebooted or whatever it was.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 5:43 pm 
Future Drummer

I believe I said this is the only forum I go to to post about star wars (and pearl jam)

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 6:28 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

yeah I don't remember bv saying he/she was a fake account, dime. Please calm down.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 6:39 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I’m calm as a jungle mist

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 4:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I liked The Force Awakens but agree with Blueviper and don't think he was trolling. Most casual fans I know even thought TFA was way too familiar to the first Star Wars. So I was happy when they made a left turn with TLJ and I hope they keep pushing the limits on this and do not remake ROTJ.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 4:09 pm 
The Master

Coach wrote:
I liked The Force Awakens but agree with Blueviper and don't think he was trolling. Most casual fans I know even thought TFA was way too familiar to the first Star Wars. So I was happy when they made a left turn with TLJ and I hope they keep pushing the limits on this and do not remake ROTJ.

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 4:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Coach wrote:

Yup.

Agreed. The bigger death star thing came off as super lazy and was a big turn off.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 4:27 pm 
The Master

It could have totally been a regular old ship or fleet and still worked from a narrative perspective. Maybe the First Order Fleet attacked and destroyed the surface of Hosnian Prime in an extraordinary display of military might. Then captured Rey and held her. The climactic battle could/should have been the small crew rescuing Rey and maybe gaining information about said fleet.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 4:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

TFA have some problems like Starkiller Base, poor handling of the OT characters and a few other things. It’s still a decent vehicle for taking the story further. It’s fairly funny and also well made. But I think TLJ made TFA look worse. Not by being better, but by taking poor choices with the options TFA gave it.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 4:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

If they had not destroyed it, that would have been a better story going into the sequels. I mean, a rogue planet flying around tearing shit up? Maybe better for a second movie but still, it would have been something other than a parallel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706 ... 713  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars