The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 713  Next

So what did you think (DcT edition)?
Best of all the films 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Better than A New Hope, Empire, the prequels, But not Jedi 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Better than A New Hope, Jedi, the prequels, but not Empire 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Better than Empire, Jedi, the Prequels, but not A New Hope 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Better than A New Hope and the prequels, but not Empire or Jedi 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Better than Empire and the prequels, but not A New Hope or Jedi 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Better than Jedi and the prequels, but not a New Hope or Empire 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
As good as Empire, Jedi, and A New Hope, and better than the prequels 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Better than the prequels, but not the originals 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
As good as some of the prequels 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
As good as all of the prequels 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Worse than the prequels 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 87
 Post subject: Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm. Episode VII coming in 2015.
PostPosted: Sat January 26, 2013 4:46 pm 
The Master

Yes! I am so very excited about this. MOAR STAR WARS PLEASE YES!

PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2013 1:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Well, he fits. "Star Trek into Darkness" is right up there with "Attack of the Clones" as far as cornballer titles are concerned.

To be fair, that's a marketing issue. As I understand it the film is actually called Into Darkness. Abrams & Co just didn't want a (:) in the title. They didn't want Star Trek: Into Darkness. They're going for The Dark Knight treatment (ie: no 'Batman' in the title). But Paramount's all worried about people not knowing it's Star Trek. Perhaps media outlets should start writing it as (Star Trek) Into Darkness.

I get two things out of this.

1. Ranked well enough to do the new Star Wars, but not to the point of naming his own films.
2. Into Darkness is also a very silly movie title.

PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2013 1:51 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Well, he fits. "Star Trek into Darkness" is right up there with "Attack of the Clones" as far as cornballer titles are concerned.

To be fair, that's a marketing issue. As I understand it the film is actually called Into Darkness. Abrams & Co just didn't want a (:) in the title. They didn't want Star Trek: Into Darkness. They're going for The Dark Knight treatment (ie: no 'Batman' in the title). But Paramount's all worried about people not knowing it's Star Trek. Perhaps media outlets should start writing it as (Star Trek) Into Darkness.

I get two things out of this.

1. Ranked well enough to do the new Star Wars, but not to the point of naming his own films.
2. Into Darkness is also a very silly movie title.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 7:14 am 
what on earth am I talking about

It's Official: 'Star Wars' Stand-Alone Films From Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg in Development

Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed for investors that his company has lined up the pair to work on stand-alone films centering on "Star Wars" characters.

Disney CEO Bob Iger, whose company acquired Lucasfilm in a $4.05 billion transaction last year, confirmed for investors that his company has lined up Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg to work on stand-alone Star Wars movies.

Star Wars: How Writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg Will Expand the Galaxy
As THR first reported, Kasdan and Kinberg are working on separate films that will serve as spinoffs of the main new trilogy. Iger told CNBC that the pair are "working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga, so we still plan to make Star Wars VII, VIII and IX roughly over a six-year period of time starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time, too."
STORY: Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy on 'Star Wars,' 'Lincoln' and Secret J.J. Abrams Meetings
As previously announced, Oscar-winning screenwriter Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) is writing Episode VII, which will be the first Disney-produced installment of the Star Wars saga. Late last month, Disney announced that J.J. Abrams will direct that first film. New Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy told THR in a cover story last week, that Abrams was reluctant to take on the role, concerned about his myriad other responsibilities. Undaunted, she set up a meeting with the longtime Star Wars fan.
"We spent a lot of time talking about how meaningful Star Wars is and the depth of the mythology that George [Lucas] has created and how we carry that into the next chapter," she said. A deal was closed Jan. 25.
Disney has said Lucasfilm generated about $215 million in licensing revenue in 2012, without having released a Star Wars-related movie in five years. That includes profit from theme parks, merchandise, TV spinoffs and other sectors.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... nce-418421

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 3:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I keep reading speculation that the first stand-alone film will be a Yoda film. But phrases like, "films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga" make me wonder how likely that really is.

If they are going to do more minor or side characters that we already know, I'm really looking forward to a Boba Fett stand alone.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 3:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

durdencommatyler wrote:
I keep reading speculation that the first stand-alone film will be a Yoda film. But phrases like, "films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga" make me wonder how likely that really is.

If they are going to do more minor or side characters that we already know, I'm really looking forward to a Boba Fett stand alone.

Jar Jar movie!

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 4:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

turned2black wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Jar Jar movie!

:ohyeah!:

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/s ... boba-fett/

Quote:
Star Wars fans, admit it: you like scoundrels. And you’re about to get more of them in your life.

Yesterday, The Walt Disney Co. unveiled plans to make a number of spin-off movies set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away — in addition to the post-Return of the Jedi trilogy that had already been announced

Entertainment Weekly has learned details on two of the spin-off projects: A young Han Solo saga, focusing on the wisecracking smuggler’s origin story, and a bounty hunter adventure with Boba Fett at the center of a rogue’s gallery of galactic scum.

Sources close to the projects confirmed this was the direction the development was taking, although they cautioned it’s still very early in the process and, well, the deal could always be altered futher. Lucasfilm and Disney declined to comment on the information.

The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and the first Star Wars (now known as A New Hope), so although it’s possible Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, the movie would require a new actor for the lead — one presumably much younger than even the 35-year-old Ford when he appeared in the 1977 original.

The Boba Fett film would take place either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between Empire and Jedi, where the bounty hunter was last seen plunging unceremoniously into a sarlacc pit. Exactly who would play him isn’t much of a complication – in the original trilogy, he never took off his helmet. And in the prequels, we learned he was the son of the original stormtrooper clone, played by Temuera Morrison, who’s still the right age for the part if his services were required.

In addition to bringing back two fan-favorite characters as the leads of their own films, the Han Solo and Boba Fett projects would also allow Darth Vader, in full-on black death-metal gear, to return as a villain, since placing the spin-offs within the original trilogy would mean he is still alive and hissing. That timeline would also open the door for a return from visit with everyone’s favorite degenerate slug-like gangster, Jabba the Hutt.

Walt Disney Co. chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced the existence of spin-off plans yesterday as part of the company’s quarterly earnings report. He said the screenwriters working of the stand-alone films are Simon Kinberg (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Sherlock Holmes) and Lawrence Kasdan (screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and the filmmaker behind The Big Chill.)

The pair are also involved in the drafting of the new trilogy, with Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) penning the first of the series, which J. J. Abrams has agreed to direct. That film is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

There is no indication who might direct the Boba Fett and Han Solo films if they end up coming to fruition. Joe Johnston, director of Captain America and The Rocketeer, originally designed the armor for Boba Fett and told Screenrant he would like to make a film based around the character. Recently, Robert Rodriguez told MTV he would jump at the chance to make a Han Solo film if it were offered to him — although that seemed more like casual interest than a serious proposal.

The recent novel Scoundrels, by sci-fi author Timothy Zahn, focused on the exploits of Solo in the period between A New Hope and Empire as he set up an Ocean’s 11-type heist of a gangster’s fortune. But sources said it was not the basis for any film currently in the works.

As for other spin-offs, Ain’t It Cool reported Monday that a Yoda-centric film may be in the works, and earlier last month Vulture reported Zack Snyder may create a Seven Samurai-inspired Star Wars spin-off, although the filmmaker later said that was untrue.

Lucasfilm has ramped up its development in recent months under the new leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, who stepped in as co-chair of the company as Star Wars creator George Lucas stepped back and sold the company to the Walt Disney Co.

Kennedy, who has her eighth nomination for the Best Picture Oscar this year as producer of Lincoln, has a long track record of making films that strike a nerve with the original Star Wars generation, among them E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and everything from Gremlins to The Goonies and the Back to the Future movies.

The question now: If these films do happen, who would you cast as a young Han Solo – or should they cast someone as relatively unknown as Ford once was?

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
The Master

Hey - whatever - Im in. As long as all roles are properly cast they will be enjoyable to a degree

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

A movie of Darth Vader hunting down Jedi would be pretty sweet. This could take place between Episode 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:32 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
A movie of Darth Vader hunting down Jedi would be pretty sweet. This could take place between Episode 3 and 4.

Hopefully there will be some training montage footage of Darth re-learning to use his mechanical limbs! Otherwise I just wont buy him being very tough :\

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:35 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Seeing some back story on this guy would be cool too:

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

i am liking everything im reading so far, it all definitely sounds exciting, but then so did 1-3 :lol:

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Strat wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Hopefully there will be some training montage footage of Darth re-learning to use his mechanical limbs! Otherwise I just wont buy him being very tough :\

And...Where the hell the suit came from. I mean, does the Emperor just have these things lying around? That really bugged me in Episode 3. Who designed the suit, why did it look the way it did, how many of them are there?

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
Strat wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

And...Where the hell the suit came from. I mean, does the Emperor just have these things lying around? That really bugged me in Episode 3. Who designed the suit, why did it look the way it did, how many of them are there?

You were one of the ones who didn't like the way Lost ended, aren't you?

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
Hey - whatever - Im in. As long as all roles are properly cast they will be enjoyable to a degree

Over/Under: 80% chance Chris Pine plays young Han Solo.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

durdencommatyler wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Strat wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

It was OK. I was kinda like WTF, but overall I liked it.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Strat wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

It was OK. I was kinda like WTF, but overall I liked it.

Oh, good. I was kidding. It was a bad joke. But I'm actually glad you liked it. That makes me like you even more. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The only thing I can possibly imagine sending off more warning lights than a "young Han Solo" or Boba Fett movie is a Yoda movie.

I still say the best thing about Star Wars was its expansive, impossible to over-explore universe. The prequels already did enough harm to known characters, Fett included...that character especially benefits from being allowed to maintain a certain element of mystery. I don't think filling up Solo's past is a huge plus either....and I don't see Disney being prepared to end a Han Solo origin story with anything other than a nod to the idea that he's got a heart of gold, thus cutting down the evolution of his character in the first and second movie.

If they wanted to maintain this brand long term, they would have been way better off moving forward by creating their own batch of characters, introducing them in ways that allowed them to reference or incorporate the known in gentle ways. I would rather see Mark Hamil failing to rock a beard while playing a mirror to Obi-Wan in a small cameo that is part of some new character's story, than sit through two hours of "Han Solo origin story" or watch an angsty 22 year old Boba Fett learning the trade.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 6:59 pm 
The Master

I want to re watch the entire lost series. See if I can understand the finale a little better :nice:

i didnt know who Chris Prine was. But I had a picture of someone in my head. I googled him and realized i was correct in the image. Wow. Please no.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 713  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars