The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Film : Star Wars X (Daisys back! confirmed!)
PostPosted: Sun April 30, 2023 11:14 am 
what on earth am I talking about

You guys seem to have missed the news the Lindelofs movie was gonna be set 60 years in the future with an elderly Rey, a Jedi master and played by Helen Mirren, is teaching two Jedi.

And he ‘was asked to leave the project’.

I woulda watched the hell outta that just for being so totally different as a premise. And Helen Mirren is an incredibly good actor.

PostPosted: Sun April 30, 2023 11:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That would have been cool.

PostPosted: Sun April 30, 2023 11:49 am 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
You guys seem to have missed the news the Lindelofs movie was gonna be set 60 years in the future with an elderly Rey, a Jedi master and played by Helen Mirren, is teaching two Jedi.

And he ‘was asked to leave the project’.

I woulda watched the hell outta that just for being so totally different as a premise. And Helen Mirren is an incredibly good actor.

wow, that is interesting.

PostPosted: Sun April 30, 2023 2:01 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

epilogue wrote:
bada wrote:
Joe has a very fair point its just a small part of a larger interview and she has been getting shit. I guess I just want to hear how much these creators love what they are working and how important it is to them with like specifics. Make it seem like its a labor of love not just a stepping stone. At least play the game and lie to me lol.

I totally get that. And I think I mostly agree. But there are always exceptions, like Tony Gilroy, for example. I think most of us love Andor. But if we just listed to Tony talk about Star Wars without watching his work on Star Wars we'd probably all be super worried. He's been vocal about not liking SW and he got the job on Andor by literally saying "you shouldn't make this show."

To me, it's not just about loving the ip, it's about loving the work, regardless of the format/genre. And it seems like she has that love of work in spades. She has a very specific pov and a unique voice. And she sees room for that pov in Star Wars. That's interesting and exciting to me.

Certainly doesn't mean she'll pull it off, of course. But it's enough to get some benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned.

We'll just have to wait and see what this thing is. I do think it's really interesting that Lindelof left the project. That, to me, is a bigger red flag than an Instagram video. :lol:

The more I think about it the more I agree. Nicholas Meyer didn't know anything (at first) about Star Trek and that worked out. I'm just not sure how interested I am in Rey restarts the Jedi order. I don't think I'd be into Luke restarts the Jedi order or blank restarts the Jedi Order. I feel like that story writes itself and is unlikely to surprise. Some of the students will go good some will go bad there will be conflict ect. They'll have to really cast and write the kids well. Not easy.

PostPosted: Sun April 30, 2023 3:30 pm 

bada wrote:
epilogue wrote:
bada wrote:
Joe has a very fair point its just a small part of a larger interview and she has been getting shit. I guess I just want to hear how much these creators love what they are working and how important it is to them with like specifics. Make it seem like its a labor of love not just a stepping stone. At least play the game and lie to me lol.

I totally get that. And I think I mostly agree. But there are always exceptions, like Tony Gilroy, for example. I think most of us love Andor. But if we just listed to Tony talk about Star Wars without watching his work on Star Wars we'd probably all be super worried. He's been vocal about not liking SW and he got the job on Andor by literally saying "you shouldn't make this show."

To me, it's not just about loving the ip, it's about loving the work, regardless of the format/genre. And it seems like she has that love of work in spades. She has a very specific pov and a unique voice. And she sees room for that pov in Star Wars. That's interesting and exciting to me.

Certainly doesn't mean she'll pull it off, of course. But it's enough to get some benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned.

We'll just have to wait and see what this thing is. I do think it's really interesting that Lindelof left the project. That, to me, is a bigger red flag than an Instagram video. :lol:

The more I think about it the more I agree. Nicholas Meyer didn't know anything (at first) about Star Trek and that worked out. I'm just not sure how interested I am in Rey restarts the Jedi order. I don't think I'd be into Luke restarts the Jedi order or blank restarts the Jedi Order. I feel like that story writes itself and is unlikely to surprise. Some of the students will go good some will go bad there will be conflict ect. They'll have to really cast and write the kids well. Not easy.

Glad you mentioned him.
That’s a great example of story first. It could be set anywhere. In a diner, in a police station, on a farm, on a starship.

The story is first. All the doodahs and furniture of the universe should come later. Andor and rogue one worked in Star Wars simply having Star Wars as a backdrop. Not a feature.
You could set either of those in Belfast during the troubles for example, and it’s still the same compelling tale. Just the backdrop has changed and the backdrop and inner workings are easily changed to suit. Always

Kenobi worked (or didn’t depending on your investment) on the opposite premise. A vital part and premise of the furniture but placed in a totally normal ordinary setting and story. Until he’s forced out of it.
There’s room to do anything with Rey or any future Jedi stories but within two frames. Gripping Star Wars Jedi adventure we know and love and expect or, something different that goes the other way. Done well both ways can work. And you’ll still have complaints.
Johnson took the other road with tlj but nobody’s taken the established road yet using known and loved characters like Rey.

So let’s hope it works out good.

PostPosted: Sun April 30, 2023 4:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah it’s about the story and if they have already mapped out the trilogy or not.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:08 pm 

Read more about Star Wars' new big-screen strategy:

Kathleen Kennedy Is Looking To James Bond For How To ‘Eventise’ Star Wars Movies – Exclusive

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... kGfd7fa8Zw

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:22 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

this is very good and its something i wanted from them, make this films an event again. That was completely lost with Rise, because by the time they released it we were all talking about Endgame, and of course the movie being as shitty as it it didnt help.

Star Wars films should be an earth shattering event.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:15 pm 
Future Drummer

LOL, how they have to look at other franchises on how to "eventize" SW

Star Wars was how to "eventize" movies.

Before the dark times...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:34 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

blueviper wrote:
LOL, how they have to look at other franchises on how to "eventize" SW

Star Wars was how to "eventize" movies.

Before the dark times...

Fuck yeah.

Step 1: Put out a movie, maybe in December.
Step 2: It's an event!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Make Star Wars Great Again

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 9:17 am 

Yes!!

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 9:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Hope so

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 12:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

GET THE ABSOLUTE FUCK RIGHT OUT OF HERE :heartbeat:

Please let this happen.*fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 3:07 pm 
Future Drummer

He comes in to micromanage her Jedi academy. She doesn’t like the direction and leaves to start another Jedi academy. She eventually starts grabbing top Jedi prospects from him and he’s getting nervous. But she can’t maintain her off shoot academy with no credits coming in.

What will happen!?

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 3:14 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I feel like if one of us posted that dime would have yelled at us for spreading bullshit rumors

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 3:20 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I feel like if one of us posted that dime would have yelled at us for spreading bullshit rumors

Do as dime says, not as he does.

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 5:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I just appreciate a source and the word "reportedly."

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 5:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

And also, I hate myself for not even thinking of this possibility.

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 7:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It’s like football (soccer) transfer rumours, some of them are true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars