The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The High Republic
PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 12:29 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2021 4:22 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 1:06 am 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I started this yesterday and read about the first 10% (according to my Kindle--probably about 40 pages). My priors when it comes to Star Wars books is pretty extensive, but also pretty distant in the past--I read about 50 EU novels in middle school or around there, but nothing much since. I remember them being sweeping and filled with drama and action and intrigue. I am, uh, not sure now, 20+ years later, if either my memory is clouded or if this new book just doesn't live up to those standards. Even just this little bit in, I do find the general plot as something that I'd like to follow and find out more about, but I am just not a fan of the writing at all. Bland, repetitive, and unimaginative. But I will probably keep at this on the side while reading other stuff.

This has gotten a bit better (about 1/3 of the way through), but boy oh boy, this is an actual sentence from this published book:

Quote:
“Is that really helpful?” said his copilot, Pikka Adren, second-in-command of the Aurora III and first-in-command of his heart.

Yea im really struggling with moving forward in this book .im at that 10% mark right now....

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 2:42 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I started this yesterday and read about the first 10% (according to my Kindle--probably about 40 pages). My priors when it comes to Star Wars books is pretty extensive, but also pretty distant in the past--I read about 50 EU novels in middle school or around there, but nothing much since. I remember them being sweeping and filled with drama and action and intrigue. I am, uh, not sure now, 20+ years later, if either my memory is clouded or if this new book just doesn't live up to those standards. Even just this little bit in, I do find the general plot as something that I'd like to follow and find out more about, but I am just not a fan of the writing at all. Bland, repetitive, and unimaginative. But I will probably keep at this on the side while reading other stuff.

This has gotten a bit better (about 1/3 of the way through), but boy oh boy, this is an actual sentence from this published book:

Quote:
“Is that really helpful?” said his copilot, Pikka Adren, second-in-command of the Aurora III and first-in-command of his heart.

Yea im really struggling with moving forward in this book .im at that 10% mark right now....

Geezes christ this is a sludge. Does it get better ST?

I absolutely hate the writing.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 2:45 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Quote:

I'm almost done, I'll probably finish today. I think there are some parts that are better than others. Once the Jedi stuff gets a bit more explored, you start to see the differences between the Republic/Jedi interplay here and in the Prequels. But there are so many characters and they're all so thin. I don't think the next novel comes out until much later this year, so I could see myself returning (especially if it's by a different author), but this hasn't been a particularly enjoyable book.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 2:48 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Strat wrote:
Strat wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Quote:

I'm almost done, I'll probably finish today. I think there are some parts that are better than others. Once the Jedi stuff gets a bit more explored, you start to see the differences between the Republic/Jedi interplay here and in the Prequels. But there are so many characters and they're all so thin. I don't think the next novel comes out until much later this year, so I could see myself returning (especially if it's by a different author), but this hasn't been a particularly enjoyable book.

Its wordy and bloated. Too many characters with dumb names. They seem to be focusing too much on world building instead of telling a great concise story and letting it grow naturally.

The song of the force!!

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 2:52 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

You see, that is sort of scratching an itch for me, the idea that different Jedi conceptualize the Force in different ways. I'm also into some of the nearly-hard-scifi stuff in here, like how hyperspace is still new and dangerous and unpredictable--wish there was more of this. I'd read a Jedi-less book about the first hyperspace explorers and how they figured it out/how it's developed.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 2:55 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
You see, that is sort of scratching an itch for me, the idea that different Jedi conceptualize the Force in different ways. I'm also into some of the nearly-hard-scifi stuff in here, like how hyperspace is still new and dangerous and unpredictable--wish there was more of this. I'd read a Jedi-less book about the first hyperspace explorers and how they figured it out/how it's developed.

Perhaps my views will change the more I get into the book. Im struggling right now to care about any of it. I think im turned off by the writing style of the author.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 3:55 pm 

Think the follow up is out In Just a month? No?
By one of the female authors? Maybe even Claudia gray?

I haven’t been paying attention to any of this sorry

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 3:59 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

dimejinky99 wrote:
Think the follow up is out In Just a month? No?
By one of the female authors? Maybe even Claudia gray?

I haven’t been paying attention to any of this sorry

That's the next installment in the YA series. The next novel proper in the High Republic series comes out the end of June according to Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2021 4:34 pm 

I gotcha. My pal rik has been doing all of it comics and books and he said it’s very cleverly intertwined by each of them stand alone too so it’s not necessary to take it all in but it’s cool if you do too.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 1:53 am 

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2021 9:39 am 

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 8:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Light of the Jedi was a fun read. I agree that the writing wasn't anything to write home about (see what I did there) but I was really into the plot. Like ST, I thought all the harder scifi stuff was great. The varying ways the Force is sensed/seen by different Jedi was a great touch. Really moving (I really identified with Elzar Mann here).

Unlike ST, many of them characters worked for me and kept me reading. Porter Engle might be my favorite new character since Ahsoka. Bell is also great.

I liked it enough to keep going. Rising Storm started a little more sluggishly for me but then took off. The writing is better. Less repetitive and more mature. A lot of straight up violence. I think I ultimately liked it more than the first one when it comes to style and character. But less so when it comes to plotting.

Just started the third one. I'm 10% in and really loving it. Already the best writing. Super excited to see where it all leads.

I'm all in on the High Republic. I love the era and the characters. I wish more folks were into it. I feel like this is where I want to talk about Star Wars now but I fear I'll just be talking to myself. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 9:07 pm 
The Master

Still need to finish light of the jedi. Just about done. It certainly got a little better but a bit of a slog to get through. Shit, ive been reading it for how long now? Too long.

I will read the rest though due to your above commentary regarding the improvement on the writing.

Light of Jedi was just too much world building I think.

Also didn't really care much for the bad guys....

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 9:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The bad guys get more developed and interesting as it goes. I'm not saying they get as compelling as Vader and the Empire but they do get much more interesting. Lourna and Marchion especially.

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 9:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

And the writing never gets like literary or anything. But it does get better. Less repetitive and more nuanced. Some more mature content and themes.

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 9:14 pm 
The Master

Where are the sith at in this time frame?

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 9:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Sith were defeated long before the High Republic. In TPM they've been dormant for 1000 years and this is like 200 years before TPM.

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 9:20 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:
The Sith were defeated long before the High Republic. In TPM they've been dormant for 1000 years and this is like 200 years before TPM.

ah yes! Forgot about that. Merci.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars