The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Anders wrote:


«This is a fun video, mostly because you can literally see director Rian Johnson realizing Tran was right for the part in real time as it unfolds. Watching the audition tape, Johnson says it felt like the character I had in my head when I was writing…showed up to read.»

This was great. Thanks for posting it, Anders.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
I'm not even talking about news. I'm talking about watching these supposedly misogynist videos to see if they are in fact misogynist. Some of them make great points. Some of them are self righteous assholes with terrible opinions. Some are hypocrites that do all the same things they attack SJWs for doing. But none that I know of are being racist or sexist (though I'm sure you could dig a few up). Maybe you are being lied to. What's funny is that in the internet age, you can go right to the source and see for yourself. Sounds like maybe you should stop reading clickbait bullshit on Polygon or blue checkmark "journalists" on Twitter.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sat July 14, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Guys! I got a mean direct message on Twitter from someone saying they wanted to "cum in my eye sockets"! My friend got one of a picture of himself covered in cum!

In light of the current environment, please refrain from criticizing me or my work until such time as trolling has been eliminated from Twitter. Thank you for you understanding while I deal with this vicious organized hate campaign against me. Also you can pre-order Scurry book 2. Hurry while supplies last!

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
BurtReynolds wrote:
I'm not even talking about news. I'm talking about watching these supposedly misogynist videos to see if they are in fact misogynist. Some of them make great points. Some of them are self righteous assholes with terrible opinions. Some are hypocrites that do all the same things they attack SJWs for doing. But none that I know of are being racist or sexist. Maybe you are being lied to. What's funny is that in the internet age, you can go right to the source and see for yourself. Sounds like maybe you should stop reading clickbait bullshit on Polygon or blue checkmark "journalists" on Twitter.

I won't speak for others. But I have done exactly that -- gone to the sources and seen it/read it/heard if all for myself. I'm not making shit up, Burt. I'm not the reactionary idiot that you need so desperately to believe that I am. This stuff is real. It is racist. It is sexist. It is hateful. It is designed to break apart a community and to destroy. Not all of it, sure. There is plenty out there that is nothing more or less than what you describe above. But you want to talk about dishonesty? It's blatantly dishonest to assert that the worst of it doesn't exist. Maybe we're being lied to? Maybe. And maybe it's by people like you. Maybe... just maybe... you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and it's time to stop wielding some self-appointed and imaginary moral and/or intellectual superiority.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico: Best or Worst Character Ever?
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
dimejinky99 wrote:

Yet they miss the whole thing in Solo about L3 and her whole droids rights crusade and how that’s a subtle dig at sjw crusaders and how overbearing they can be.

THis is the closest thing to a good point you've made in this thread, and the thought has crossed my mind. I mean, they couldn't have been this blatant, right? But sadly, from the interviews I've seen, it doesn't appear that she was not a spoof on SJWs.

If it were true, Durden would be crushed!

And Strat would continue not to see it.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22714
This is just schtick right? He’s only playing right? I can’t tell


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
BurtReynolds wrote:
Guys! I got a mean direct message on Twitter from someone saying they wanted to "cum in my eye sockets"! My friend got one of a picture of himself covered in cum!

In light of the current environment, please refrain from criticizing me or my work until such time as trolling has been eliminated from Twitter. Thank you for you understanding while I deal with this vicious organized hate campaign against me. Also you can pre-order Scurry book 2. Hurry while supplies last!

Man, you really a piece of work aren't you? Do you feel better now? Did you win? Can we move on or... ?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I'm not even talking about news. I'm talking about watching these supposedly misogynist videos to see if they are in fact misogynist. Some of them make great points. Some of them are self righteous assholes with terrible opinions. Some are hypocrites that do all the same things they attack SJWs for doing. But none that I know of are being racist or sexist. Maybe you are being lied to. What's funny is that in the internet age, you can go right to the source and see for yourself. Sounds like maybe you should stop reading clickbait bullshit on Polygon or blue checkmark "journalists" on Twitter.

I won't speak for others. But I have done exactly that -- gone to the sources and seen it/read it/heard if all for myself. I'm not making shit up, Burt. I'm not the reactionary idiot that you need so desperately to believe that I am. This stuff is real. It is racist. It is sexist. It is hateful. It is designed to break apart a community and to destroy. Not all of it, sure. There is plenty out there that is nothing more or less than what you describe above. But you want to talk about dishonesty? It's blatantly dishonest to assert that the worst of it doesn't exist. Maybe we're being lied to? Maybe. And maybe it's by people like you. Maybe... just maybe... you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and it's time to stop wielding some self-appointed and imaginary moral and/or intellectual superiority.

You said the video I posted the other day was full of anti-women stuff. I disagree of course, and think you are conflating being anti-woke feminist/SJW with being anti-women, and that's why you see rampant misogyny on all the Twitter pages and videos. So I don't expect to change your mind. Its fine. You can't be helped. But I think most people who watch these videos or read the arguments against the heads of Star Wars won't see things the way you see them.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:39 pm 
Online
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 52395
What kind of last name is Tico amirite

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico: Best or Worst Character Ever?
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
BurtReynolds wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Yet they miss the whole thing in Solo about L3 and her whole droids rights crusade and how that’s a subtle dig at sjw crusaders and how overbearing they can be.

THis is the closest thing to a good point you've made in this thread, and the thought has crossed my mind. I mean, they couldn't have been this blatant, right? But sadly, from the interviews I've seen, it doesn't appear that she was not a spoof on SJWs.

If it were true, Durden would be crushed!

And Strat would continue not to see it.

ah yes, the "what he REALLY means/ who he REALLY is" bullshit again. Absolute mind readers. Never taking an argument at face value.

Or... something


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33482
Location: Buenos Aires
I think if the Solo film did anything to exalt the SJWbot or to paint her struggle as noble or worthwhile, I'd see how she was a character born out of ideology, or was used to push ideology. The fact that everybody in the film seems to roll their eyes at her and she was mostly played for comedy tells me differently. Seems like a humorous lampshading of something fans had been discussing for a long time -- if the SW bots have feelings and personalities, are they just slaves? That kind of thing. I didn't like her just because she was annoying.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
dimejinky99 wrote:
This is just schtick right? He’s only playing right? I can’t tell

I used to think so. But he's been far too aggressive (at least toward me) for me to believe that anymore. He wants to belittle people. He wants to shit on them. He wants to name call and demean, all in some righteous crusade against imaged boogie-men that threaten his station and stature. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I'm not even talking about news. I'm talking about watching these supposedly misogynist videos to see if they are in fact misogynist. Some of them make great points. Some of them are self righteous assholes with terrible opinions. Some are hypocrites that do all the same things they attack SJWs for doing. But none that I know of are being racist or sexist. Maybe you are being lied to. What's funny is that in the internet age, you can go right to the source and see for yourself. Sounds like maybe you should stop reading clickbait bullshit on Polygon or blue checkmark "journalists" on Twitter.

I won't speak for others. But I have done exactly that -- gone to the sources and seen it/read it/heard if all for myself. I'm not making shit up, Burt. I'm not the reactionary idiot that you need so desperately to believe that I am. This stuff is real. It is racist. It is sexist. It is hateful. It is designed to break apart a community and to destroy. Not all of it, sure. There is plenty out there that is nothing more or less than what you describe above. But you want to talk about dishonesty? It's blatantly dishonest to assert that the worst of it doesn't exist. Maybe we're being lied to? Maybe. And maybe it's by people like you. Maybe... just maybe... you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and it's time to stop wielding some self-appointed and imaginary moral and/or intellectual superiority.

You said the video I posted the other day was full of anti-women stuff. I disagree of course, and think you are conflating being anti-woke feminist/SJW with being anti-women, and that's why you see rampant misogyny on all the Twitter pages and videos. So I don't expect to change your mind. Its fine. You can't be helped. But I think most people who watch these videos or read the arguments against the heads of Star Wars won't see things the way you see them.

You're right. No one agrees with me. That's why there's no conversation about all of this happening anywhere.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
theplatypus wrote:
I think if the Solo film did anything to exalt the SJWbot or to paint her struggle as noble or worthwhile, I'd see how she was a character born out of ideology, or was used to push ideology. The fact that everybody in the film seems to roll their eyes at her and she was mostly played for comedy tells me differently. Seems like a humorous lampshading of something fans had been discussing for a long time -- if the SW bots have feelings and personalities, are they just slaves? That kind of thing. I didn't like her just because she was annoying.

Jorge gets it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
I think if the Solo film did anything to exalt the SJWbot or to paint her struggle as noble or worthwhile, I'd see how she was a character born out of ideology, or was used to push ideology. The fact that everybody in the film seems to roll their eyes at her and she was mostly played for comedy tells me differently. Seems like a humorous lampshading of something fans had been discussing for a long time -- if the SW bots have feelings and personalities, are they just slaves? That kind of thing. I didn't like her just because she was annoying.

Jorge gets it.


Durden, lol. You love her specifically because you think they were playing it straight. You don't get it.

Like I said, I can get behind this, but again, from what I've read they were playing it straight. Although its possible they didn't tell the actress playing her that they were just making her a joke. She certainly came out that way.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33482
Location: Buenos Aires
I haven't read any interviews and I don't feel qualified to speak on the filmmakers' intent beyond my interpretation of what's on the screen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33482
Location: Buenos Aires
Also: whenever I see the term SJW on this thread my mind reads it as "Star Justice Wars"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67565
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
I think if the Solo film did anything to exalt the SJWbot or to paint her struggle as noble or worthwhile, I'd see how she was a character born out of ideology, or was used to push ideology. The fact that everybody in the film seems to roll their eyes at her and she was mostly played for comedy tells me differently. Seems like a humorous lampshading of something fans had been discussing for a long time -- if the SW bots have feelings and personalities, are they just slaves? That kind of thing. I didn't like her just because she was annoying.

Jorge gets it.


Durden, lol. You love her specifically because you think they were playing it straight. You don't get it.

Like I said, I can get behind this, but again, from what I've read they were playing it straight. Although its possible they didn't tell the actress playing her that they were just making her a joke. She certainly came out that way.

Jesus, Burt.... :shake:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Can we talk about how that whole subplot breaks Star Wars, btw? If droids are sentient beings with desire for freedom and emotions, etc, then all the characters you grew up with and love are awfully abusive slave owners. Why this incessant need to deconstruct and shit on every aspect of Star Wars? From Disney for Chrissakes!

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Rose Tico
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22714
You should probably have read up on this burt cos once again you’re wrong.

Phoebe was pretty much allowed ad lib a lot of it and asked could she play it very abritish humour and they said go for it.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun December 16, 2018 12:59 pm