The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars unnamed trilogy (Rian Johnson 20??)
PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 2:07 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Is this trilogy by Rian going to be broken up with new standalones films?

I wonder

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 2:15 pm 
The worst

it would have to be if they are releasing 1/year. that's why we're getting the kenobi film. Until we have a larger universe they will be looking to tap into characters/events/lore people are already invested in. At least until Disney decides their target for success for a star wars movie is no longer clearing a billion dollars (which it will eventually have to be)

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 2:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Is this trilogy by Rian going to be broken up with new standalones films?

I wonder

I wouldn't bee surprised if they film all three at once LOTR style. Then you get them in back to back to back years. No break in between. And there's no way Disney is planning 2 per year yet. No chance.

If Kenobi is announced, it'll drop in 2020, one year after Ep 9. Will Rian have his Part 1 ready for 2021? Absolutely could.

Then the question becomes, what happens in 2024?

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 2:38 pm 
The worst

He is conceptualizing the larger story, but he's only writing and directing the first film (sadly), so they couldn't really shoot all 3 at once.

I think Disney's plan is to always have an active trilogy film released every other year, with a stand alone bridging the gaps

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 3:45 pm 

Bear in mind Solo is officially the last standalone. Unless they totally blindside us with a Kenobi announcement. But next celebration isn’t until 2019. So even if they announce it there, it’ll be a long wait.

Thinking on it, I can’t see them announcing a Kenobi standalone in the run up to Solo. Would they?

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 3:49 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Bear in mind Solo is officially the last standalone. Unless they totally blindside us with a Kenobi announcement. But next celebration isn’t until 2019. So even if they announce it there, it’ll be a long wait.

Thinking on it, I can’t see them announcing a Kenobi standalone in the run up to Solo. Would they?

Considering we are 4 months out until show time and we have yet to see a trailer or marketing of any kind....

No. It wont be until at least the fall.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 4:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
He is conceptualizing the larger story, but he's only writing and directing the first film (sadly), so they couldn't really shoot all 3 at once.

I think Disney's plan is to always have an active trilogy film released every other year, with a stand alone bridging the gaps

Everything is still in the planning stages. Most of the news I've seen is that he wants to right (edit: how funny is that little slip of the fingers, eh?) all of it. He just hasn't committed to directing all of it. And as this thing moves and changes based on trends and numbers, it's very possible he won't end up writing all of it. But the initial idea was for him to build the entire thing and then do whatever he wanted.

Last edited by epilogue on Tue January 09, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 4:29 pm 
The worst

fingers crossed!

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 4:30 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Considering we are 4 months out until show time and we have yet to see a trailer or marketing of any kind....

It could be this summer. Kathleen Kennedy said she had a big announcement to make last June/July. And that never happened. If Solo is a surprise success and has fans "coming back" to Star Wars for familiar characters, then I think it's likely they'll capitalize on that by announcing a Kenobi toward the end of Solo's box office run.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 4:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
fingers crossed!

I know! I really want him to have as much control over this as he wants. If he wants to write and direct 1 and then do treatments for the rest of it and hand it off, so be it. But I'd love for him to write/direct the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 4:54 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

It could be this summer. Kathleen Kennedy said she had a big announcement to make last June/July. And that never happened. If Solo is a surprise success and has fans "coming back" to Star Wars for familiar characters, then I think it's likely they'll capitalize on that by announcing a Kenobi toward the end of Solo's box office run.

What she actually said was that they’re circling on a few options and they’ll decide in June/July. She never said there’d be an announcement, we all just took it to mean there would be an announcement. I’m pretty sure she hasn’t been asked about it since then.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 4:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It probably depends on if they have seen The Last Jedi or not. If they have, I could see how the plans might be changed. ;)

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 5:11 pm 

Anders wrote:
It probably depends on if they have seen The Last Jedi or not. If they have, I could see how the plans might be changed. ;)

Well she’s the executive producer and head of Lucasfilm so she’s seen it. Also Iger has seen it a few times at this stage. I’d say he’s more interested in final box office total then anything else. And the gross is looking healthy.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 5:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:

Well she’s the executive producer and head of Lucasfilm so she’s seen it. Also Iger has seen it a few times at this stage. I’d say he’s more interested in final box office total then anything else. And the gross is looking healthy.

The box office has been good. However, if they consider the movie to be sub par, that could still hurt for the future, no matter how well the movie does.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 5:24 pm 
The Master

if they chicken out on Rian ill be super disappointed. TLJ was so fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 5:35 pm 

Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:

The box office has been good. However, if they consider the movie to be sub par, that could still hurt for the future, no matter how well the movie does.

Anders they wouldnt have released it if they thought it was subpar.
Also..some comparative stats for the three new films at this stage of release. Telling.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 6:03 pm 
The Master

nothing bores me more than box office numbers and rotten tomato/imdb user reviews

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 6:46 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Anders wrote:

the word was that they thought it was phenomenal. if they back down itll be because it underperformed a great deal

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 7:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

How could a movie that's going to make a billion dollars underperform? :haha:

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 7:24 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

word is some or all of this trilogy is going to be gungan backstory-heavy. let's wait and see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars