The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 3:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31729
Coach wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Apparently iger told the Disney’s shareholders they never expect these standalones to make as much as the saga films. That’s understandable. Both standalones to date have had huge production difficulties as we know.

But the marketing (and marketing budget) for this was purposefully kept low key. Less so than rogue one I believe. They knew avengers and deadpool would own the summer so it’s not like they made a massive mistake unknowingly. I’d say it was a calculated risk.
Cos now we have 18 months with absolutely no Star Wars.

So by the time ep 9 rolls around well probably have solid info on the tv series and next standalone / Rians trilogy / GOT guys trilogy.

Breathing room to let people want it again. This is all really calculated and measured I’d say.


Then why did you bet so high, 137 million? May is not an usual time for a SW movie release. They are diluting the shit out of this franchise and will squeeze it till it bleeds every morsel of money it can and then sell it off. Then, 50 years from now someone will reboot the original trilogy and milk that ass for more money because it can because of people like you, dime.



I think Star Wars is going to be just fine, team

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:20 am
Posts: 2947
stip wrote:
Coach wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Apparently iger told the Disney’s shareholders they never expect these standalones to make as much as the saga films. That’s understandable. Both standalones to date have had huge production difficulties as we know.

But the marketing (and marketing budget) for this was purposefully kept low key. Less so than rogue one I believe. They knew avengers and deadpool would own the summer so it’s not like they made a massive mistake unknowingly. I’d say it was a calculated risk.
Cos now we have 18 months with absolutely no Star Wars.

So by the time ep 9 rolls around well probably have solid info on the tv series and next standalone / Rians trilogy / GOT guys trilogy.

Breathing room to let people want it again. This is all really calculated and measured I’d say.


Then why did you bet so high, 137 million? May is not an usual time for a SW movie release. They are diluting the shit out of this franchise and will squeeze it till it bleeds every morsel of money it can and then sell it off. Then, 50 years from now someone will reboot the original trilogy and milk that ass for more money because it can because of people like you, dime.



I think Star Wars is going to be just fine, team


I love you, Mr. Stip. :heartbeat:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 9:34 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14033
Location: Cumberland, RI
LetMeSleep wrote:
Guess the 2nd Weekend Dropoff:

simple torture - $37m (44%)
lms - $58m


Estimates for Friday are at about $8m, which means the estimated weekend total is below $30m.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32808
Location: Buenos Aires
SEE DIME? SEE.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32808
Location: Buenos Aires
That's really bleak. This is a full-on box office bomb now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 10:08 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14033
Location: Cumberland, RI
theplatypus wrote:
That's really bleak. This is a full-on box office bomb now.


Yeah, week-to-week performance says a lot about that. Rogue One, the movie most like this one, had a 58% drop between the first and second weekend. If Solo sputters to like $26m, that's a 70% drop.

I think looking at these percentages is actually something that can bolster the argument for "Star Wars fatigue" that some are making. If we just look at the percentage drops for each of the Disney films so far, in release order:

The Force Awakens - 40%
Rogue One - 58%
The Last Jedi - 67%
Solo - (~70% ?)

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31729
this was an inessential movie with bad buzz, decent reviews, a background story no one was clambering for, that came out immediately following two HUGE movies. it is clear solo is not a box office success. Star wars fatigue conversations are meaningless until you have consecutive flops. If Episode IX doesnt do well there may be something to this.

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 6209
What’s this guy’s backstory?

Spoiler: show
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14880
I really liked the movie, but people didnt really wanted a solo movie anyway.
I would only make saga films. And one in a 3 or 4 years. Make it an event like in the old days.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:04 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14033
Location: Cumberland, RI
stip wrote:
this was an inessential movie with bad buzz, decent reviews, a background story no one was clambering for, that came out immediately following two HUGE movies. it is clear solo is not a box office success. Star wars fatigue conversations are meaningless until you have consecutive flops. If Episode IX doesnt do well there may be something to this.


I'm not arguing that people are tired of seeing Star Wars movies in total--I agree with you that it would take 2 or more flops in a row for people to really start clutching their pearls about Star Wars as a media franchise going down the tube. But I do think that the way in which each successive movie has lost a greater percentage between its opening weekend and successive weekends shows that there is less of a desire to obsess over and rewatch the movies. There are a bunch of different explanations that could be given--as you said, bad buzz can be a harbinger--but I don't think you can discount the idea that people are getting tired of re-watching Star Wars.

I also think you're discounting how big Rogue One was--even a couple of years later, it's got the 16th-biggest opening weekend of all time (it was #10 when it was released). That movie had a troubled production, had middling buzz before it was released, and was full of characters we've never seen before--and it made tons of money.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51368
That's because rogue one was great and re watchable.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37400
yeah i mean maybe the movies just aren't very exciting

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51368
We've gotten four Star Wars movies in recent years and only one is worth revisiting. This doesn't make me less of a Star Wars fan, but I'm sick of getting told that I "don't get it".

I think a lot of die hard fans are also huge apologists

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37400
Disney is diluting the "specialness" of SW. Outside of R1, these new movies just feel like boilerplate contemporary sci-fi fare. Not exactly something that inspires much enthusiasm.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34234
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
In its defense, it seems like a rough week for anything that isn't superheroes. Hollywood is in full decline now I think.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66255
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
We've gotten four Star Wars movies in recent years and only one is worth revisiting. This doesn't make me less of a Star Wars fan, but I'm sick of getting told that I "don't get it".

I think a lot of die hard fans are also huge apologists

I don't disagree with anything you've said here and I hope you don't think I'm one of the people you're talking about. I believe you "get it" you just don't like it (most of it). I happen to genuinely love three of the new movies and really like one of them. Until TFA there was only one Star Wars movie that I genuinely loved.

But all of that is just taste and preference. I've certainly never thought you less of a fan because you don't like all the same stuff I like. That's absurd. Anyway, if I've every given you that impression, I apologize. Was never my intent.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66255
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
A december release would have helped this thing immensely. It wouldn't have made it a better movie, but it would have given it better opening weekend numbers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51368
No it's all good and it's not just people here, it's friends and acquaintances irl that are also huge apologists. Which is fine. But they could make a horrible sitcom in the Mos Eisley cantina and some people would say it's the best show on TV just because it's Star Wars

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37400
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
a horrible sitcom in the Mos Eisley cantina

i guarantee this would be much better than TFA, TLJ, or Solo

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37400
i legitimately want to see this

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon October 15, 2018 5:38 pm