The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49082
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
a horrible sitcom in the Mos Eisley cantina

i guarantee this would be much better than TFA, TLJ, or Solo

lol true

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34770
Location: this field intentionally left blank
a CGI bea arthur would be the bartender


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49082
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
i legitimately want to see this

The sitcom?

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34770
Location: this field intentionally left blank
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
i legitimately want to see this

The sitcom?

star wars cheers, yes


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18607
Location: Hunter
How I Met My Father.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49082
Greedo would have a tab that hasn't been paid in years

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sun June 03, 2018 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13311
Location: Cumberland, RI
They've already got Woody Harrelson in-universe so they're like halfway there.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sun June 03, 2018 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34770
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sun June 03, 2018 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49082
I think we're on to something, LV

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sun June 03, 2018 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 33848
Location: Mountains
can we get a Ross in the back corner or something?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sun June 03, 2018 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63380
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I think we're on to something, LV

YOU JUST SAID A MINUTE AGO THAT IT WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sun June 03, 2018 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49082
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I think we're on to something, LV

YOU JUST SAID A MINUTE AGO THAT IT WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA

Yeah but I know suckers will watch it and love it and I'm all about that money

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Sun June 03, 2018 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63380
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I think we're on to something, LV

YOU JUST SAID A MINUTE AGO THAT IT WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA

Yeah but I know suckers will watch it and love it and I'm all about that money

:haha:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 20693
So it’s at $149m after this weekend in the US and $264m globally.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 63380
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Oof


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31633
Thanos should use the infinity gauntlet to have a guest spot in the Boba Fett movie and punch up the box office.

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 223
dimejinky99 wrote:
So it’s at $149m after this weekend in the US and $264m globally.


Maybe it's not "star wars" fatigue, or maybe it's not backlash/boycott of TLJ.

Maybe people just don't care.

Dang, will it even pass The Boss Baby (175million domestic) ??

Not trying to be mean; I was rooting for Solo before it hit theaters.

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34770
Location: this field intentionally left blank
I really don’t think my SW Cheers picture has gotten enough acknowledgement


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31633
blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
So it’s at $149m after this weekend in the US and $264m globally.


Maybe it's not "star wars" fatigue, or maybe it's not backlash/boycott of TLJ.

Maybe people just don't care.

Dang, will it even pass The Boss Baby (175million domestic) ??

Not trying to be mean; I was rooting for Solo before it hit theaters.


It's not mean, and is probably pretty obvious. This movie never really got to the point that it felt essential (it isn't), and it is expensive to go to the movies, and everyone just got done spending a ton of money on Deadpool and Infinity War. While the failure of solo (at least failure relative to the cost and expectations) shows the limit of the star was brand as something bulletproof and intrinsically sufficient to make a fortune (simply calling it Star Wars does not = 1 billion dollars), you can only start to make a fatigue argument if something like Episode IX (an event film, the culmination of two wildly successful movies that preceded it, and coming out at a time where there is much less stiff competition) doesn't perform well (a billion dollar movie).

I'm a good test case here, I think. I saw TFA in theaters 4 times. I saw TLJ 3-4 times. I see most marvel movies twice. I saw Solo once at the end of opening weekend, and enjoyed it fine, but haven't (and won't) be going out to see it again. Once was enough. I'll get it when it is out on blu-ray

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Gue$$ The Opening Weekend Gross - Solo: A Star Wars Stor
PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 223
stip wrote:
blueviper wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
So it’s at $149m after this weekend in the US and $264m globally.


Maybe it's not "star wars" fatigue, or maybe it's not backlash/boycott of TLJ.

Maybe people just don't care.

Dang, will it even pass The Boss Baby (175million domestic) ??

Not trying to be mean; I was rooting for Solo before it hit theaters.


It's not mean, and is probably pretty obvious. This movie never really got to the point that it felt essential (it isn't), and it is expensive to go to the movies, and everyone just got done spending a ton of money on Deadpool and Infinity War. While the failure of solo (at least failure relative to the cost and expectations) shows the limit of the star was brand as something bulletproof and intrinsically sufficient to make a fortune (simply calling it Star Wars does not = 1 billion dollars), you can only start to make a fatigue argument if something like Episode IX (an event film, the culmination of two wildly successful movies that preceded it, and coming out at a time where there is much less stiff competition) doesn't perform well (a billion dollar movie).

I'm a good test case here, I think. I saw TFA in theaters 4 times. I saw TLJ 3-4 times. I see most marvel movies twice. I saw Solo once at the end of opening weekend, and enjoyed it fine, but haven't (and won't) be going out to see it again. Once was enough. I'll get it when it is out on blu-ray


Also as an adult I'm much more picky about what movies get my theater dollars. I just don't go see movies anymore, except Star Wars. When my brother and I were sitting in SOLO, waiting for it to start, I asked him what the last movie he saw in the theater. He said, "The Last Jedi, and before that, Rogue one". The last non-SW movie I saw in the theater....HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2, in 2014.

I think people are also weighing their options, especially with the abundance of streaming services, and quick to blu-ray timelines.

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon June 18, 2018 6:10 am