The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post subject: Star Wars Bloodline - Claudia Gray
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:54 am 
what on earth am I talking about

'Star Wars: Bloodline' is a fun political thriller: book review

Claudia Gray's "Bloodline" provides vital links between the Original Trilogy and "The Force Awakens," with an excellent mix of political intrigue and action.

We join Princess Leia in her role as a New Republic senator six years before the events of the new movie and find she has been negotiating a challenging political landscape since the fall of the Empire.

The Galactic Senate, based on the doomed Hosnian Prime, has been divided into two distinct factions. Leia's side, the Populists, wish to see individual planets maintain autonomy, while the worryingly Imperial-sounding Centrists are pushing for a centralized galactic government backed by military might.

This might sound straightforward, but Gray's clever writing injects both sides with suitable nuance; we see that neither is offering an ideal solution.

A jaded Leia reveals the shortcomings of the New Republic, which subtly mirror the conditions that allowed Palpatine to seize power in the prequels. Leia's young staffers ask her about the galaxy's complex politics, allowing expository dialogue to be delivered in a natural way.

A proposal to elect a First Senator in an effort to end the political gridlock provides much of the narrative thrust. Needless to say, Leia is the prime Populist candidate for this role and the story is told mostly from her point of view.

Gray, who gave us the excellent "Lost Stars" last year, demonstrates a clear understanding of Leia's personality. The blunt assessments fans loved in the Original Trilogy may often be hidden behind honeyed speeches here, but they are still clear in her thought process.

One of the novel's main draws is Leia's personal life and its development in the 24 years since "Return of the Jedi." Her political role has forced the Solo family to lead largely separate lives, but she reveals plenty of delicious tidbits about Han, Ben and Luke in quiet moments.

Gray even uses one of these asides to provide some beautiful foreshadowing for a pivotal scene in "The Force Awakens."

Of course, the truth of Leia's parentage casts a shadow over everything she does; her reflections on Darth Vader and her relationship with the monster he was prove to be some of the story's most riveting
It wouldn't be "Star Wars" without some action and that comes pretty early, when Leia volunteers for a mission to investigate a mysterious criminal cartel. This secondary plot punctuates the main one throughout, mixing things up and intersecting nicely.

Much to Leia's chagrin, she is joined in her sleuthing by rising Centrist Sen. Ransolm Casterfo. From his alternative viewpoint, we see nostalgia for the days of the Empire and get our first hints at the attitudes that lead to the rise of a new tyrannical power.

However, Casterfo is the character that develops most during the course of this story; his past and how it plays into his dynamic relationship with Leia proves to be its most unexpected treat. Gray gives their dialogue a unique spark throughout, using it to highlight many facets of their personalities and the merits of differing perspectives.

Joining Casterfo on the Centrist side is Lady Carise Sindian, a two-faced politician who appears to be in it for status and celebrity. We don't learn quite as much about her, but readers will no doubt remember her long after they finish.

Casterfo and Lady Carise also represent the first generation to grow up in a relatively peaceful post-Empire galaxy, along with Leia's aide, Greer Sonnel, a former racing protégé of Han. Her reason for giving up that life is one of the story's minor mysteries and adds layers to her character.

Also backing up Leia is Lt. Joph Seastriker, who fits the typical ace pilot mold that "Star Wars" fans know so well. He is earnest, likeable and uncomplicated, so he fails to make much of an impact despite some cool moments.

Like the politicians of the New Republic, the narrative of "Bloodline" moves a little slowly at times. However, its strong cast of characters make up for this and ensure that readers will be absorbed throughout.

Since Gray's novel answers many of the questions about the origins of the latest "Star Wars" conflict, it will prove to be a gripping one for anyone who enjoyed "The Force Awakens."

It just so happens that most people fit that description these days.

"Star Wars: Bloodline" by Claudia Gray, published by Random House, hits shelves May 3.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Bloodline - Claudia Gray
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:52 am 
The Master

All the Major Star Wars Secrets Revealed in the New Novel Bloodline

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:27 am 
The Master

So this could explain potentially Laura Derns character in the next star wars?

Spoiler: show
Leia’s lowest point following her revealing as the daughter of Vader also sees the First Order’s creation finally come to pass—or at least, the final stages of its true formation.

Other books, and indeed Bloodline at times, have hinted about former Imperial loyalists fading into the shadows after the Imperial remnant officially signed the Galactic Concordance after their defeat at Jakku. Bloodline frequently notes reports of former Imperial fleets vanishing off monitor systems, as the Imperials consolidate their military in the farthest reaches of the galaxy. But Bloodline sees a major crippling of the New Republic as a bulk of the Centrists led by one of Leia’s political rivals reveal plans for a secession from the Republic to form a government with the Imperial loyalists, combining their planetary armies and finances with the hidden (and growing) Imperial fleets into the First Order.

Just as quickly as the final form of the First Order is revealed, however, the seeds of the Resistance are in place by the end of the books—largely driven by the Republic’s own inability act in the wake of the secession, but also by the fact Leia no longer has allies among the senate. This leads Leia to retire and essentially get the band back together, recruiting allies like Admiral Ackbar and discontented Republic military members to form a new resistance movement against the threat of the secessionists.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:45 am 

Just finished this book tonight

Spoiler: show
. Really does flesh out where leia is after being pretty much forced to leave the senate as a result of being outed as Vaders daughter.

I'm thinking Dern is Lady Carise, the one out to get leia & setting up the first order in secret.

PostPosted: Tue July 19, 2016 1:09 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I'm #30 in line for 1 digital copy of this audiobook at my library.

PostPosted: Tue July 19, 2016 1:16 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I knew you were going to post this

PostPosted: Tue July 19, 2016 1:58 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I knew you were going to post this

I thought you quit Facebook, jerk.

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2016 2:41 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I finished this book. I really didn't dig it.

Nice to have a little backstory, but it's a lot of lame Senate shit with impressively little action. If you dig the prequels, you'll love this book.

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2016 3:12 pm 

What it hands off in terms of the Vader reveal about him being her father and Ben not knowing is worth it. It also sets up the political landscape for 7 and more importantly 8.

Worth it for that.

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2016 3:38 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
What it hands off in terms of the Vader reveal about him being her father and Ben not knowing is worth it. It also sets up the political landscape for 7 and more importantly 8.

Worth it for that.

Define "worth it." It's a long book for a bit of backstory. I'm going to start just watching the Star Wars Explained spoiler reviews of these books, so I can have the backstory in a 4 minute video.

PostPosted: Sat December 17, 2016 6:26 pm 

Well it's well worth it for me in that it explores a more nuts and bolts backstabbing of the political sphere in Star Wars. It doesn't and can't be all blasters and starships. Filling it out with other important elements that informs main characters stories and motivations is wonderful

PostPosted: Sat September 21, 2019 10:56 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Finally got this today. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it.

Last edited by Anders on Mon September 23, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 21, 2019 11:08 am 

Anders wrote:
Finall got this today. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it.

I hope you do. I think you will.

PostPosted: Sat September 21, 2019 11:44 pm 
The Master

B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Worth it for that.

Define "worth it." It's a long book for a bit of backstory. I'm going to start just watching the Star Wars Explained spoiler reviews of these books, so I can have the backstory in a 4 minute video.

Geezes christ B. Read a fucking book you rube.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2019 12:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Reading books can really be worth it, no doubt. It can sound boring if you think the about it the wrong way, and it can be boring, if you really don't like the book, or if it's simply a poor book. But if you pick right, you will reap the rewards.

As far as this book, I've enjoyed the first few chapters. Great that Leia is the main character.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2019 11:41 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Entering the final few chapters now. The big reveal was superbly handled.

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars