The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 231  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars : The Mandalorian (Disney+ 2019)
PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 9:03 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I can understand both sides of this conversation.

About 85 percent of the Mandalorian takes place on completely new or relatively unexplored planets/locales, so I wouldn't say it is overly reliant on nostalgia. The Tatooine episodes are probably the weakest the whole series.

For me, the issue isn't locale or new/old planets. That's not at all what I mean when I talk about exploiting or being reliant on nostalgia. There's no reason to avoid the familiar just because it's familiar. I'm not even talking about saying things like "highest 'm' count we've ever seen" or even the fact Boba Fett (though I do think he walks the line a bit).

Like, including Luke Skywalker wasn't a about relying on nostalgia. His appearance was necessary for the story being told. He is what the story required. If it had been any other Jedi it might have been super weird. Luke was the right and necessary story choice.

Now, was doing a shot-for-shot remake of the *one* post-OT scene that was touted by the vast majority of SW fans necessary for the story? To me it didn't work. It reeked of the kind of fan service (which, again, isn't a bad thing in and of itself) that I don't like, that the show keeps dipping into.

What scene are you referring to?

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 9:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

About 85 percent of the Mandalorian takes place on completely new or relatively unexplored planets/locales, so I wouldn't say it is overly reliant on nostalgia. The Tatooine episodes are probably the weakest the whole series.

For me, the issue isn't locale or new/old planets. That's not at all what I mean when I talk about exploiting or being reliant on nostalgia. There's no reason to avoid the familiar just because it's familiar. I'm not even talking about saying things like "highest 'm' count we've ever seen" or even the fact Boba Fett (though I do think he walks the line a bit).

Like, including Luke Skywalker wasn't a about relying on nostalgia. His appearance was necessary for the story being told. He is what the story required. If it had been any other Jedi it might have been super weird. Luke was the right and necessary story choice.

Now, was doing a shot-for-shot remake of the *one* post-OT scene that was touted by the vast majority of SW fans necessary for the story? To me it didn't work. It reeked of the kind of fan service (which, again, isn't a bad thing in and of itself) that I don't like, that the show keeps dipping into.

The Vader hallway scene in Rogue One.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 9:18 pm 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

So you don't like scenes with older, established characters showing just why they have the reputations within the galaxy that precedes them?

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 9:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

So you don't like scenes with older, established characters showing just why they have the reputations within the galaxy that precedes them?

No, not at all.

Like I said, I really appreciated Boba Fett going full Rodriguez on some fools.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 9:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

But you bring up an interesting point that may be tied into what I'm feeling/talking about.

Does Luke have a reputation across the galaxy?

He has a reputation with fans of the movies. The audience knows who he is and what he's capable of. We as kids growing up with Luke Skywalker know he's a badass and have longed to see him show his full capability/potential.

But is that true in story?

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 9:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I could write a lot on how I feel about this particular issue (Luke and the hallway) vs the lead up to the Luke reveal in the episode. But it would be long and no one would read it. :lol:

So, I'll spare everyone.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 10:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

epilogue wrote:
But you bring up an interesting point that may be tied into what I'm feeling/talking about.

He has a reputation with fans of the movies. The audience knows who he is and what he's capable of. We as kids growing up with Luke Skywalker know he's a badass and have longed to see him show his full capability/potential.

yeah he has that reputation...havent you seen Moff´s face?

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 10:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

"Luke Skywalker? I Thought He Was A Myth."

Even Rey has heard the stories at the beginning of TFA.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 11:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
"Luke Skywalker? I Thought He Was A Myth."

Even Rey has heard the stories at the beginning of TFA.

25 years later.

And as you point out, she didn't think he was anything but a story people told. Just stories.

Fans conflate their own feelings/knowledge with the characters in the world all the time. It's especially prevalent in Star Wars.

But maybe the galaxy does know. I haven't seen concrete canon confirmation either way.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 11:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
epilogue wrote:

He's involved with the Force stuff and maybe even tied to bringing Palpatine back. Of course he knows who Luke is.

Didn't really seem like anyone else in the room did.

PostPosted: Tue January 12, 2021 11:41 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

epilogue wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
epilogue wrote:

He's involved with the Force stuff and maybe even tied to bringing Palpatine back. Of course he knows who Luke is.

Didn't really seem like anyone else in the room did.

Moff knows because he knows what he did. So there is a lot of people knowing about what him. Also, its been discussed about the fuzz everyone in the galaxy make about the kids of Vader. Luke is known after finishing the first death star. He is a condecorated pilot.

The mando doesnt know shit bout anything.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 1:04 am 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:

At that point, no, I don't think he is.

(And I wasn't specifically talking about Luke. More Fett and Vader.)

However, for fans, this was a Luke we never really got to see. Sure, he was an ace fighter pilot, but we never got to see him as a badass Jedi we knew he became.

Last edited by wease on Wed January 13, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 1:13 am 
what on earth am I talking about

It absolutely wasn’t shot for shot.

And Star Wars always has fight scenes in hallways. It’s almost a gimmick ffs. It’s in all of them.

This was more than just ‘see? This looks like that other time Vader did it! See?’

It was far more than that. And far more important and independent of that totally, when you realise it actually is Luke. There’s tons going on there. None of it nor and wink to Vader in rogue one.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 1:30 am 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:
I could write a lot on how I feel about this particular issue (Luke and the hallway) vs the lead up to the Luke reveal in the episode. But it would be long and no one would read it. :lol:

You're wrong about that.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 1:31 am 
Major Dude

Until this thread, I never even thought of Luke's fight and Vader's together. Never even occurred to me.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 1:51 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

epilogue wrote:
Where the show stumbles, for me, is its reliance on nostalgia. The iconography never feels earned, it just feels like a cheap storytelling trick.

I actually did read your post. Well most of it. Not surprisingly, I feel the exact opposite as you, paragraph for paragraph, but I think this sentence captures where I think you're most wrong about the callbacks in Mandalorian.

The callbacks in Mandalorian put us in the universe, but the story never relies on them.
- Take out the ice cream maker. Same things happen.
- Any other Jedi sends him to the beacon. Same things happen.
- Boba Fett never shows up. Same things happen.
- Luke shows up. Well, ok, you got me there.

But in every situation where they put in fan service, it enhances the story and shows us where in the world we are without taking it off course. It like if you made a sequel to the Wizard of Oz and called it pandering b/c they ran into a yellow brick road. We're in Oz. The fucking road is everywhere.

We're in Star Wars. All the cool shit happens on Tatooine. Banthas and Jawas and Sandpeople are everywhere.

I'm a little bummed that we appear to be headed to Mandalore in Season 3.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 1:51 am 
Future Drummer

epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

When I first watched the Luke episode I didn’t even put two and two together regarding Luke’s hallway season vs. Vader’s in Rogue One. I only caught it when I saw some reaction videos on YouTube that brought it up.

That Jedi stuff was great against the dark troopers, but I was more excited with Luke being Jedi-like with Grogu and Mando. And Mando connecting with Grogu. And R2 calming down Grogu. And the emotional elevator stare with Grogu and mando. Such earnest, feel good scenes that remind me of the OT.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 2:07 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Joey, also ... it's not that I think you're wrong for liking TROS. Like what you like. It's that your criticisms of Mandalorian, appear to be doubled down on in TROS.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 2:58 am 
jeeeesus relax already

wease wrote:
Until this thread, I never even thought of Luke's fight and Vader's together. Never even occurred to me.

yeah, me neither. Specially as a ¨fan service¨, and specially from a franchise that is always doing fan service.

PostPosted: Wed January 13, 2021 3:26 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:

You're wrong about that.

:heartbeat:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 231  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars